Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Ryan McDonagh captain

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I don't really want to derail this too much but do you have a link to info about Nash being out of shape last training camp? Or is it just what AV said this year about him being in much better shape?

I tend to think that when we hear "so and so is in training camp out of shape" that it doesn't exactly mean they're fat and huffing and puffing all over the place, just not in the ideal condition for what the coach wants them to do. I'm sure Nash trained last summer and did what he normally does but if AV had different expectations for his fitness level then what he normally did might not be what he should have been doing.

We heard that he actually changed his routine this summer, not that he just worked harder.

Nope. No link. Just the thoughts of writers and coaches who are impressed by his conditioning this time around.

I wasn't really trying to make a big thing out of it or derail the McD thread. Just playing devs advocate since people were discussing the Nash haters being around etc.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The Cs and the As probably indicate more to the fans than it does to the players. There's a wealth of leadership and players who have all done it before. Staal and Girardi in this room, MSL in his career and in the playoffs. I think it's safe to say that even if Mac isn't 100% up for the task, there's no downside to naming a franchise player your captain at the first available opportunity.

I think we need Richards opinion on this. He wasn't a fan of the Callahan captaincy probably because Callahan didn't talk much and Richards probably took the faux-captain role like last playoffs.

Exactly...The most overrated thing in sports...Who wears the "C" and "A".
Nice fooder who message boards, but that's about it.
The guy who is most likely THE leader of this team does not even have a letter (Hank) proving how inconsequential it is.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
never said all captains were. Just voicing my opinion.

Just curious, can anybody find a team with a quiet, reserved captain that won anything?

During the 24/7 Jeter fairwell tour I heard several who knew him and play with him mention that he said very little.
He is lauded by most as a great leader.
It's done by example and it's done by being YOURSELF, not becoming some Rah Rah guy when that isn't in your personality.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This is not a vacuum and I am not a McD detractor. However, a case can be made that he may have needed another several seasons of seasoning. A case can also be made the both Staal & Girardi are better leaders, while McD is better off being a sargent

How would one actually make that case? We know very little of the kind of stuff that people are talking about in here when they talk about wanting a "vocal" captain, and even of the tiny, tiny bit we do know, Girardi seems to be more of a lighthearted kind of personality and Staal seems to be very similar to McD, respectful, low-key, thinks before he talks.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
How would one actually make that case? We know very little of the kind of stuff that people are talking about in here when they talk about wanting a "vocal" captain, and even of the tiny, tiny bit we do know, Girardi seems to be more of a lighthearted kind of personality and Staal seems to be very similar to McD, respectful, low-key, thinks before he talks.

Marty seems like a yappy leader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad