Confirmed with Link: Rangers Name Alain Vigneault Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
But Sather, the Rangers’ boss since June 1, 2000, turns 70 on Sept. 2 and underwent prostate cancer surgery in March, so thinking about a successor is not an off-target discussion. Luckily for the Rangers, they have Gorton.

Gorton joined the Rangers’ organization in 2007 after being fired by the Bruins. But as the Bruins interim GM from March 27-July 8, 2006, he acquired Tuukka Rask, who has replaced Tim Thomas as Boston’s franchise goalie, from the Maple Leafs for soon-forgotten netminder Andrew Raycroft. He signed captain Zdeno Chara as a free agent. And he oversaw a draft that produced Milan Lucic and Brad Marchand, not to mention Phil Kessel, eventually traded to Toronto for multiple draft choices, one of which was Tyler Seguin.

The point is, Gorton showed, in a short span, he has a savvy touch for personnel moves.

Meanwhile, as it relates to the Rangers’ coaching search, many fans have communicated via Twitter, email and in casual chats that Mark Messier is not a popular choice to become coach, despite his popularity as a player. All indications pointed toward the fans welcoming a Messier hire, but now the sentiment is that the Rangers can’t gamble on an inexperienced coach

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/2...ork_Rangers_GM_if_Glen_Sather_steps_down.html

The President and GM will be 70 soon and he had prostate cancer in March. Time to put a plan in place. We are not talking about sending Sather to a retirement home. Sather will still collect his salary. He can spend more time with his wife in California during the winter months.

Mark Messier. He should go get some head coaching experience somewhere and come back to the Rangers in 5-7 years.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
I'm ready to throw caution to the wind, say **** it to questions about us having the roster to play a wide open game, let the D and Lundquist take care of themselves and go with a coach willing to take big offensive risks. We've had what feels like a decade of tight defense first hockey in NY (which I actually love) but it's time for a change. What's the worst that could happen that hasn't already happened? Miss POs - check. Squeeze in and get slammed - check. Lead the conference and still get bounced - check.

Let's have some mother****ing fun out there next season.

I'll watch them flop around on the ice like seals if it means we win the cup. I don't care if we score 1 goal a game or 15, I just want the cup!

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Everyone keeps talking about playing a more offensive style of game, with more puck possession. Have you considered the possibility Tortorella experimented with it and quickly threw it out the Window considering the personnel he has on the roster?
Our defensemen carry the puck like it's infected with the plague most of the time. There's not one guy outside of Del Zotto that looks even remotely comfortable skating with the puck. The team lacks size and grit, why do think Torts was looking for the Clowe and Powe type players, he knew it and was trying. . To bad the "waterbugs" ran him off for asking for to much..Team was headed in the right direction, to bad the players actually run the teams in today's NHL

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
From today's New York Post

The formal portion of the Rangers’ coaching search will begin today when Alain Vigneault meets with general manager Glen Sather and front office counselors on Day Two of the club’s organizational meetings in La Quinta, Calif.

As of last night, the Blueshirts had not scheduled a meeting with Ruff, though they have been granted permission by Buffalo GM Darcy Regier to speak with him.

miss2leetch

Dec 9, 2007
Waterloo
Give this coach a shot! Implement the flying V

flying-v-oilers.jpg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Everyone keeps talking about playing a more offensive style of game, with more puck possession. Have you considered the possibility Tortorella experimented with it and quickly threw it out the Window considering the personnel he has on the roster?

Our defensemen carry the puck like it's infected with the plague most of the time. There's not one guy outside of Del Zotto that looks even remotely comfortable skating with the puck. The team lacks size and grit, why do think Torts was looking for the Clowe and Powe type players, he knew it and was trying. . To bad the "waterbugs" ran him off for asking for to much..Team was headed in the right direction, to bad the players actually run the teams in today's NHL

Jackpot, I think we all know that whatever options Torts explored, he iced a team that (i) sucked offensively and (ii) just was not a good defensive team. In many games it seemd like it would take a miricle in addition to MVP play from Hank to prevent us from giving up less than 2 goals. Not to mention the utter special team disaster he had in NY and the complete lack of toughness from his teams. We were litterary one of the softest teams in the league under his watch. No hits. Not retribution. And so forth. We also had Torts roster. He had been here three years, and had the players he wanted. You cannot make it clear that you are 100% unable to work with anyone who doesn't have perfect attitude nor a player who isn't a monster along the boards, in a capped league, and then complain on not having talent. You need a coach who asks for something that can be fitted under a cap and win with that.

Many Torts defenders are posting stuff like maybe this wasn't Torts fault, maybe that wasn't Torts fault. Nobody ever gives a reason for why he should coach the New York Rangers. We he is the right guy for us. Nobody ever sticks out their necks and say hey, Torts would ice an awsome defensive team next season. Hey

What did we do well with Torts as our coach? Besides giving reports a tough time and acting tough in interviews? Block shots. Work hard. That is great, lets not sell Torts short here, it really is great and shouldn't be underestimated, but to become the best of 30 teams it just takes a lot more than that.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I guess I wouldn't be overly pissed with Stevens. It would mean Sather looking past Vigneault and Ruff, which I don't see happening but maybe.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
With torts coaching the rangers could ice an all star team and still be sweating out one goal wins. He always talked about the players meeting him half way but what the hell did that actually mean? My eyes tell me something was amiss and it's torts who was pulling the strings. For entertainment value the rangers were the worst deal in the league. Im So glad to see that system go, and while it masks deficiencies I'd rather take a step back and start four or five rookies. We arent hard enough on the puck in our top nine and Rarely do we establish strong forechecking against the better teams so we weren't going any farther. Hank had to play outstanding for us to get as far as we did but our next coach has to infuse more grit and add more attack. I'm getting tired of watching our guys throw themselves in front of slapshots like sacrificial lambs and while there is no doubt that it takes guts id rather see a proper backcheck which accounts for the points. It's kinda hard to breakout of your own end when you can barely stand up.

I'd be open to trading zuccs,cally,haggs,Boyle, del zotto. Let the next guy get some fresh blood in here.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
My eyes tell me something was amiss and it's torts who was pulling the strings. For entertainment value the rangers were the worst deal in the league.[/QUOTE]

Were you saying this last season?

Im So glad to see that system go, and while it masks deficiencies I'd rather take a step back and start four or five rookies.

Not sure what one has to do with the other.

We arent hard enough on the puck in our top nine and Rarely do we establish strong forechecking against the better teams so we weren't going any farther.

Again, were you saying this last season?

Hank had to play outstanding for us to get as far as we did

It's not unusual that your best player is an important cog to success.

I'd be open to trading zuccs,cally,haggs,Boyle, del zotto. Let the next guy get some fresh blood in here.

Not sure how you can write what you did and then be willing to trade Callahan.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
What did we do well with Torts as our coach? Besides giving reports a tough time and acting tough in interviews? Block shots. Work hard. That is great, lets not sell Torts short here, it really is great and shouldn't be underestimated, but to become the best of 30 teams it just takes a lot more than that.

Won

Yes it was agonizingly painful to watch at times, and yes this team could NEVER win easy it seemed. When we won the EC it shouldn't have taken 14 games to get by the Caps and Sens. But due to the makeup of the team, scoring goals was difficult to say the least.

Tortorella inherited most of the guys on the roster, guy's that came up through the organization. He tried to give them a shot at developing into a team, they did that, and they played for each other like a close knit group. Unfortunately they just couldn't score, so off to Columbus a few went for Rick Nash. . We lost a lot of size and commradery in that trade. Torts really didn't have the time to adjust the roster appropriately with the lock out that ensued. As a result you get what we seen this season, a roster in need of tweaking, with no way to really go about it until the trade deadline. I'm not going to make excuses for Tortorella's personality, but I think he changed the culture here in a good way, I also think he got the short end of the stick. .

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
In response to Thug...

...Why would you trade Hagelin and Callahan? Especially after the argument you made. "New blood" shouldn't come because of a brandy new guy behind the bench... it should come if the team is lacking and needs to make adjustments to better fit the team.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
In response to Thug...

...Why would you trade Hagelin and Callahan? Especially after the argument you made. "New blood" shouldn't come because of a brandy new guy behind the bench... it should come if the team is lacking and needs to make adjustments to better fit the team.

Because they have value. You have to give to get. Cally will be severely overpaid if he stays for another contract and his value is at it's highest right now. Haggs is another solid piece who has speed but lacks finish and grit. So once again I say if somebody thinks he's a superstar at least listen to their offers.

Pyatt,powe,asham won't get anything in trade.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
My eyes tell me something was amiss and it's torts who was pulling the strings. For entertainment value the rangers were the worst deal in the league.

Were you saying this last season?

No, last yr we had a diff team.

Not sure what one has to do with the other.

Management felt we were a powe,pyatt, clowe away from winning the cup.
After watching this team all yr and yes in hindsight I think
We are better served playing the kids with a coach more in line with that thinking.

Again, were you saying this last season?
Last yr we had a different team.

It's not unusual that your best player is an important cog to success.

Not sure how you can write what you did and then be willing to trade Callahan.[/QUOTE]

Frolic and DeTorts

Feb 23, 2013

I'm pretty sure Moore, Stralman and McDonagh never carry the puck like "it's infected with the plague." Puck moving defensemen is not an issue, what we need is a physical defenseman and a defenseman who can hit the net from the point.

Size and grit? We have tons of grinders. This team lacked a sustainable forecheck. That lack of forecheck was not due to a lack of size and grit. It was due to an offensive scheme that was based on a collapsing defensive scheme. We never had a surge or a sustained forecheck in the playoffs and got to game 5 of round 2. If we had an average PP and some type of sustained forecheck, we might still be playing.

Last edited:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Because they have value. You have to give to get. Cally will be severely overpaid if he stays for another contract and his value is at it's highest right now. Haggs is another solid piece who has speed but lacks finish and grit. So once again I say if somebody thinks he's a superstar at least listen to their offers.

Pyatt,powe,asham won't get anything in trade.

The last 3 are just about dead weight, yes. But don't you think we should wait to see what a new HC does with the team and what they have already before already moving pieces?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I'm pretty sure Moore, Stralman and McDonagh never carry the puck like "it's infected with the plague." Puck moving defensemen is not an issue, what we need is a physical defenseman and a defenseman who can hit the net from the point.

Size and grit? We have tons of grinders. This team lacked a sustainable forecheck. That lack of forecheck was not due to a lack of size and grit. It was due to an offensive scheme that was based on a collapsing defensive scheme. We never had a surge or a sustained forecheck in the playoffs and got to game 5 of round 2. If we had an average PP and some type of sustained forecheck, we might still be playing.

Disagree in that we need more guys with size who can actually skate, play and contribute. As of game one of the Boston series the Rangers did not have a team that could compete physically against the Bruins in a tough playoff series. The Rangers may have the will to battle, but the playoffs are a war of attrition. Smaller teams get worn down.

As currently constituted, on the current roster and in their pipe line, the Rangers will continue to lose that war.

Moreover the Rangers intimidate no one. Who's the least bit intimidated by the Big Bad Blueshirts????????

Right, it's a joke.

Don't kid yourselves. Not a single player on the current roster give the likes of Lucic, Chara or Thornton a single moment of pause.

McIlrath and Noreau are maybe the beginnings of an answer...but only just.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY

Having grit and playing (or at least attempting to play) a grinding down low style of offense are two separate things. The Rangers try to grind and play physical hockey, unfortunately you're going to see them on the wrong side (their backside) most of the time.

As for "grit", you said it yourself, there was no real physicality in the lineup most of the season, up front or on the back end. Opposing teams could chase down pucks in the corners or enter the offensive zone with little fear or apprehension, never having to worry about paying a price. Heck, A.O. told the world on live television all about it, and I'm sorry, watching Ryan Callahan bounce off of people isn't my idea of a real intimidating force.

I mean Nash, Stepan, Zucc, Hagelin, Richards, Kreider, Boyle, Stralman, Girardi, McD, Eminger, Moore, etc... there's just nothing about them that makes anyone look over their shoulder twice.

As for defensemen carrying the puck, it's just my opinion that this group of guy's don't skate/handle the puck well...Maybe it's a confidence thing?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Having grit and playing (or at least attempting to play) a grinding down low style of offense are two separate things. The Rangers try to grind and play physical hockey, unfortunately you're going to see them on the wrong side (their backside) most of the time.

As for "grit", you said it yourself, there was no real physicality in the lineup most of the season, up front or on the back end. Opposing teams could chase down pucks in the corners or enter the offensive zone with little fear or apprehension, never having to worry about paying a price. Heck, A.O. told the world on live television all about it, and I'm sorry, watching Ryan Callahan bounce off of people isn't my idea of a real intimidating force.

I mean Nash, Stepan, Zucc, Hagelin, Richards, Kreider, Boyle, Stralman, Girardi, McD, Eminger, Moore, etc... there's just nothing about them that makes anyone look over their shoulder twice.

As for defensemen carrying the puck, it's just my opinion that this group of guy's don't skate/handle the puck well...Maybe it's a confidence thing?

Agreed. Totally.

Rangers fans fool themselves on this one year after year. Generation after Generation. The playoffs are a totally different animal from regular season NHL play. Players piling up stats and making slick plays is what makes for good attendance, not necessarily Stanley Cups.

NHL Playoff Hockey is a gritty, nasty exercise in physical drudgery. There is nothing like it in all of sport. Few fans understand what actually makes teams successful in this environment.

KreiMeARiver*

UGH... I have the same birthday as Sather? (Sept. 2nd)

kill me now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad