Rangers moving on from Brendan Smith

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Nice guy who had the 2017 trade deadline and the Skjei replacement in 2020 as the highlights of his Rangers career. Other than that he stunk, had a punchable face, and was famous for the "who me?" move to the refs when he got called for a penalty.

Overstayed his welcome.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
One of the few guys I hated and then earned his way back into a positive light over time. He made a big mistake coming to camp so out of shape after we rewarded him (deservingly) after his playoff performance in a year AV managed to (unsurprisingly) misused him.

He owned up to his mistake and busted his ass from there on out. Always did what was asked of him, never complained, stood up for his teammates and embraced a tough guy role even when he was well in over his head. A quality teammate who clearly cared about the organization and his colleagues.

Hope he finds success in his next role and as long as it's not with one of our enemies I'll be rooting for him.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
Nice guy who had the 2017 trade deadline and the Skjei replacement in 2020 as the highlights of his Rangers career. Other than that he stunk, had a punchable face, and was famous for the "who me?" move to the refs when he got called for a penalty.

Overstayed his welcome.
I disagree with your take. There were many many shifts where he was the most impactful skater. He threw hits, stood up for teammates and played all over the line up. He was a quintessential utility player for everything except faceoffs. To be fair he did make mistakes but he was never meant to be a lynchpin. The whole "punchable face" thing is ridiculous and has overstayed it's welcome in our vernacular lol.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If Shattenkirk didn’t blow out his knee, and Smith didn’t come into the season out of shape, the Rangers may not have blown it up in 2018.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm not going to take any parting shots - the guy did whatever he was asked to do after tripping himself up after signing a new deal and, by all accounts, was the quintessential teammate. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I disagree with your take. There were many many shifts where he was the most impactful skater. He threw hits, stood up for teammates and played all over the line up. He was a quintessential utility player for everything except faceoffs. To be fair he did make mistakes but he was never meant to be a lynchpin. The whole "punchable face" thing is ridiculous and has overstayed it's welcome in our vernacular lol.

He was dumb. He played dumb. He made a lot of mistakes. He was part of the current mentally soft core which was fine to help break a lot of these kids into the NHL, but won squat. Time to move on.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
He was dumb. He played dumb. He made a lot of mistakes. He was part of the current mentally soft core which was fine to help break a lot of these kids into the NHL, but won squat. Time to move on.
He was one of the only non soft ones

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I'm fine with this. He didn't come close to living up to his contract, but still played a solid role in his last couple years.

It was simply time to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad