Speculation: Rangers - More Draft Picks

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I know. It's just for a team that needs a rebuild desperately and has only drafted 2 franchise/generational type players in the 50 year history of the draft, you figured they would want the team to tank.

I just don't get what the endgame is. You write a note to the fans to let them know about a rebuild and then they start trying to win games? It's stupid.

Absolutely. I have no idea either. The trades they made along with that letter screamed "we're tanking, look at all these prospects we brought in now. And come draft time we'll have our golden nugget." Now, I can't wrap my head around it. The only thing I can think of right now is trading up to get "that guy." Could we draft a guy at 10th overall who can be "that guy?" Maybe. But the last 10th overall we had...well...

Reactions: Monument

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I know. It's just for a team that needs a rebuild desperately and has only drafted 2 franchise/generational type players in the 50 year history of the draft, you figured they would want the team to tank.

I just don't get what the endgame is. You write a note to the fans to let them know about a rebuild and then they start trying to win games? It's stupid.

I am sure with what they intended to do, they did not expect to win many games after the deadline. They are 6-2-1. They aren't going to make the playoffs but they are shooting themselves in the foot for the lottery.

Reactions: Monument

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Absolutely. I have no idea either. The trades they made along with that letter screamed "we're tanking, look at all these prospects we brought in now. And come draft time we'll have our golden nugget." Now, I can't wrap my head around it. The only thing I can think of right now is trading up to get "that guy." Could we draft a guy at 10th overall who can be "that guy?" Maybe. But the last 10th overall we had...well...

Don't remind me. If Sather has anything to do with selecting at 10, I hope they get him far away from the draft boards. I don't need another swing and miss on need type of player like that when Tarasenko and Kuznetsov types are still available.

Reactions: Killem Dafoe

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Stop.

We already traded everything that wasn't bolted down and we're finally having fun again.

Leave this team alone for awhile, outside of throwing AV into the Hudson.

I was admittedly wrong about Spooner and Namestnikov, but I think Zucc should be the last one to be traded.

We're going to need another first now that one is likely going to go down the drain in order to move up since I doubt we end up in the top 5.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Agreed. They’re ****ing themselves with every point.

I would rather this then some loser franchise like the Sabres that actively cheers for the Coyotes when they score an OT winner on your home ice. That type of nonsense is why they're still 9 feet deep in the 10 foot hole they buried themselves in.

We might not end up in the top 5 after the lottery, but Gorton has the ammo to make some magic happen.

It's why I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for not holding our for a better McDonagh offer at the draft. At least now he knows what he's working with and has months to come up with a big plan to move up.

As opposed to moving Mac the morning of the draft and then you're in scramble mode to make one of the biggest moves that will likely define Gortons tenure one way or the other.

Keep in mind with every win we are seeing positive signs for the future. Such as Pionk and Juh Juh Georgie

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think Kreider, or Hayes, are going anywhere.
If Namestnikov and Buch find chemistry these last couple weeks, not Namestnikov either

been wondering if some team might make a crazy offer for Georgiev
Spooner could go, but i feel like he took over Grabner's depth scoring slot

I think Pionk stays, but if they got offered the right deal, Gilmour or ADA could move

and of course, if NYR eat Cap Hit, and maybe include a B+ prospect, they could get decent pick(s) for Smith

and there are the borderline depth guys like Beleskey(worth a shot to someone, now that his Hit is halved) and Holland

Reactions: haveandare

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Tonight's 4 points against Pitt is the reason Kreider will not be moved unless a deal presents itself as impossible to turn down.

The guy was a monster tonight.

Man, they really missed him and MK for long stretches this year. Probably THE reason why they are where they are...oh, and the moronic coach.

Can you imagine him and Maklin on a line together???

I sure can. Malkin skates up the middle, dangles his way through to the blue line and Kreider goes offsides.

All joking side, I wouldn't say this is the reason he will not be moved unless a deal is impossible to turn down. I'm sure any good deal will be entertained, the problem is most of them aren't good deals. (2nd round pick? Get lost with that) This game isn't the "norm" from Kreider no matter how many of us want to see this every game from him.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I would rather this then some loser franchise like the Sabres that actively cheers for the Coyotes when they score an OT winner on your home ice. That type of nonsense is why they're still 9 feet deep in the 10 foot hole they buried themselves in.

Wait, what? They're still in their stages because they want to get the 1st overall pick and get a franchise player? You mean it has nothing to do with the team not being built well and top free agents not wanting to go to a rebuilding situation in the primes of their careers? Hate to break it to you, but no free agent is going to want to come there, unless they're severely overpaid or one of those bottom feeders is the highest bidder by a landslide. That's why they have to build through the draft.

We might not end up in the top 5 after the lottery, but Gorton has the ammo to make some magic happen.

So, instead of tanking and getting a better pick without having to give assets up, the Rangers should try to make the playoffs with a shit team that has a ton of holes and make a run to be a 1st round exit and then squander picks to move up in the draft?

It's why I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for not holding our for a better McDonagh offer at the draft. At least now he knows what he's working with and has months to come up with a big plan to move up.

With cooler heads prevailing, the jury still is out on the McDonagh deal, but I still think that he could have done better on draft day.

As opposed to moving Mac the morning of the draft and then you're in scramble mode to make one of the biggest moves that will likely define Gortons tenure one way or the other.

He could have been talking trades the whole time before hand. Just because the deadline has passed doesn't mean he couldn't have been shopping McDonagh.

Keep in mind with every win we are seeing positive signs for the future. Such as Pionk and Juh Juh Georgie

If you have ANYONE penciled in for the future in this lineup, you're making a big mistake.

Things can change.

Last edited:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I'd say we could get a decent first for Zuccarello. Kreider should return a pretty big haul if he's shopped.

Skjei, Namestnikov, Spooner and Hayes are the key RFA's and should be re-signed.

I also wouldn't be opposed to trading Zibanejad if there are some huge offers out there.

This is a delusional thought from fantasy island but I'd love something like Gauthier and a first for a Darling-Lundqvist swap

You would be an imbecile to trade Kreider of Zibanejad. You can't put a bunch of kids with nobody around them or you will suck for years like the clueless Oilers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

What exactly do you expect them to do? Forfeit games? Shoot Chris Kreider?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The moment any team I root for encourages their players to not play hard, is the moment I burn everything and actively root for that teams main rival.

Will it suck to not have a prime pick, yuup. Suck it up butter cup.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Players aren't going to do that, and if any of them are, I don't want them on my team.

Some of these fans are ridiculous. Maybe we should taint the food before games. Maybe hire people to call the goalies all night long so that they can't sleep. Have the equipment manager add small cracks to their sticks and dull their blades. Maybe hire Erik Karlsson's Uber driver to drive the players to the TD Garden by accident.

Reactions: Machinehead

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
They might want to consider some 19 picks.
They have scads for June and next years draft from what i've heard is solid. They'll need room to develop them so spacing them out a year helps in that regard.
Of course they could go with a heavy European flavor and allow them to season there but that leaves the adjustment to NA ice and culture on the backburner.
Either way it's exciting to open a new chapter and fun for those not requiring instant gratification.

Good luck to the Rangers faithful.

Reactions: Rangers743

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad