Speculation: Rangers looking to keep all their RFA's?

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
I was almost sure that one of Namestikov or Spooner would be traded. But do they keep all of them and then maybe trade some at the TDL. Keep the depth? Very confused on how quiet this summer is so far.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'm sure your answers will play out based on the teams performance this upcoming season, and development of young players.

Don't allow it to confuse you; it's the nature of professional sports.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
No GM is going to move a young piece or prospect that would benefit the Rangers in exchange for either one of Spooner or Namestnikov, save for a draft pick, but that ship has sailed until next year at the TDL or the 2019 draft itself. Those two are solid middle-six players who can bolster the lineup and make the team seem less like a train-wreck than they would be without one or both of those two.

Amassing prospects and picks seems enticing, but if there are already pieces in the system that could grow within an environment filled with a legitimate NHL roster now and in the near-future (Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Kravtsov, Skjei, Buchnevich, Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, Shestyorkin, Georgiev, etc.) then it makes sense to have a roster filled with legitimate NHLers. This team may sway on the slack-line between mediocrity and being genuinely bad, but there are more and more young players coming up each year who have the potential to make an impact at a young age, and it is bad faith to abide by the line of thinking that an elite piece can only be acquired with a lottery pick, or that only teams with developing lottery picks will win cups in future iterations of a salary-cap league.

To sum things up, I want to see Chytil and Andersson develop consistently alongside actual NHL players, and I don’t particularly care to exchange that for potential second-round picks they may or may not play with in the future.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I was almost sure that one of Namestikov or Spooner would be traded. But do they keep all of them and then maybe trade some at the TDL. Keep the depth? Very confused on how quiet this summer is so far.

possibly they want to see what it looks like in the camp and then decide whom to trade to make room for rookies.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I am absolutely shocked how quiet this off-season is. I believe Ottawa is holding up everyone cause of Erik Karlsson. I'm sorry if I am a gm and I see a trade that I feel would benefit my team I do it and not care what everyone else does. I would have traded Kevin Hayes or bought out the contract of Marc Staal by now and consider moving Zuccarello.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
They’re waiting until the 2019 deadline. We should see a few trades out of them there. Likely that they want Chytil+Andersson+(maybe but prob not) Howden developing with solid NHLers on their lines. If we trade Zucc/Spooner/Namestnikov we won’t have that happen. Our offense is really underrated actually

Kreider-Zib-Buch (all should be around 60 points)
Namestnikov-Chytil-Zucc (40-50-55)
Andersson-Hayes-Spooner (35/40-55-55)
Vesey-Nieves/Fontaine-Fast (Vesey and Fast will put up 30, ? For the C)
I’d love to see Meksanen/Lindqvist get a chance as well but most likely Lindqvist is the 13th forward and Meksanen is in the AHL. Really like Meksanen
That’s pretty good offensively

Defense is the issue
Skjei-Shatty (2-3 dmen)
Staal-Pionk (Pionk is very good, Staal not so much)
Smith/Hajek/Lindgren/Deangelo/Bigras/Claesson

Hopefully we end up bottom 5

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Maybe they plan on dealing Zuc? Or want to see who fits under the new coach? It’s strange with all the young talent they have up front that they didn’t grab Dobson when he fell to them.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
It will be interesting to see what happens to say the least. If they sign all three that will bring them close to the cap this year which would probably not be the best move for a team rebuilding. Plus they have some decisions to make for all the defensive rfas next year. I could see a couple trades happening to clear the cap for the future as well as get some picks and prospects. I don't see them letting any of the rfas go to other teams and just taking the draft pick or how ever many they would get if they signed for other teams. I see them signing them all of them and then making a couple trades later on imo.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm thinking that NYR has rhe expectation that they can do better than how they've performed so far so why not give them a chance to play higher up in the lineup, boost their stats to either potentially trade them for better assets or discover a hidden gem a la VGK and keep them around.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'll take Namestikov for tyler johnson! and Callahan plus a 3rd rounder.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If they are NHL good, of course you sign your RFAs. If nothing else, in the future they can be traded. Signed RFAs generally are a easier trade chips as it brings cost certainty.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I'll take Namestikov for tyler johnson! and Callahan plus a 3rd rounder.

No chance on that.

The Rangers are not helping you out with taking 11+ million cap hit off your hands for a 3rd.
That is just silly. I would guess the Rangers front office does not consider them to be a competitive playoff team for the next 2 seasons with their rebuild. Any cap dump contract past that point would be detrimental to their ability to get UFA's.

Taking Cally(ufa in [email protected] against the cap per) will cost a solid prospect or pick at least.
Johnson (ufa in 2024 @5m per).....likely more than the previous.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Quite a leap from there hasn't been a trade to the Rangers are keeping all there RFAs.....

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
They have cap Space so keep all the assets and flip one later in the year if needed for adding pics / prospects

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I am absolutely shocked how quiet this off-season is. I believe Ottawa is holding up everyone cause of Erik Karlsson. I'm sorry if I am a gm and I see a trade that I feel would benefit my team I do it and not care what everyone else does. I would have traded Kevin Hayes or bought out the contract of Marc Staal by now and consider moving Zuccarello.

Why would you buy out the contract of Marc Staal? Given what our defense might look like next year, what sense does that even make? We're also not against the cap, so that would be pointless.

Who are we trading Hayes for, picks? There's no need to trade Zucc until the deadline now that the draft is over. What happens if Lias and Chytil just aren't ready for this season?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Why would you buy out the contract of Marc Staal? Given what our defense might look like next year, what sense does that even make? We're also not against the cap, so that would be pointless.

Who are we trading Hayes for, picks? There's no need to trade Zucc until the deadline now that the draft is over. What happens if Lias and Chytil just aren't ready for this season?

The only reason to buyout Staal is to give one of the prospects his spot but I think that would be a reach.

As it stands the D might look like this......

Skjei-Shatty
Smith/Staal-Pionk
Smith/Stall/Err Ummm-Deangelo/Claesson/Your name here
O’Gara/Hajek

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I think the Rangers will resign all of their RFA's and several will be used as trade dead line fodder.
I think at some point this season at least Zucc and Spooner will be moved.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Maybe they plan on dealing Zuc? Or want to see who fits under the new coach? It’s strange with all the young talent they have up front that they didn’t grab Dobson when he fell to them.

I'm happy with Kravtsov at 9 over Dobson, after getting Miller. In hinsight our pick at nine might have been just the right guy. But don't be fooled, the Rangers still need more stock in the farm. We had like three nice talents on offense before the draft (Andersson, Chytil, and maaaybe Howden, Lettieri not really) that's nothing. The winger at that spot, with the aim of getting Miller in a D-heavy draft later in the 1st round, was absolutely the right choice.

I love Zucc. He's the heart, no doubt about it. I've watched so many games and he's the only one, that always has his team's back. He's tougher than Kreider imho, clearly the toughest on the team. Don't want to see him ever go. BUT this is unfortunately business, and if a team offers a good price - considering he was an undrafted FA - I'll take it. And a 1st in 2019 is where the conversation starts.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I'm happy with Kravtsov at 9 over Dobson, after getting Miller. In hinsight our pick at nine might have been just the right guy. But don't be fooled, the Rangers still need more stock in the farm. We had like three nice talents on offense before the draft (Andersson, Chytil, and maaaybe Howden, Lettieri not really) that's nothing. The winger at that spot, with the aim of getting Miller in a D-heavy draft later in the 1st round, was absolutely the right choice.

I love Zucc. He's the heart, no doubt about it. I've watched so many games and he's the only one, that always has his team's back. He's tougher than Kreider imho, clearly the toughest on the team. Don't want to see him ever go. BUT this is unfortunately business, and if a team offers a good price - considering he was an undrafted FA - I'll take it. And a 1st in 2019 is where the conversation starts.

I think very few, if any, Rangers fans wants to see zucc leave. But the situation the team is in makes his TDL move inevitable. I would be thrilled to bring him back the following season, but Zucc doesn't have any real value on this team past the deadline.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Marc Staal would not be an easy buyout, especially with Girardi's buyout cap hit on the books. When Girardi's cap hit goes from the $3 million and change it will be this year back down to $1 million and change, then the Rangers can consider buying Staal out.

He's an absolute nightmare on the ice.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
No chance on that.

The Rangers are not helping you out with taking 11+ million cap hit off your hands for a 3rd.
That is just silly. I would guess the Rangers front office does not consider them to be a competitive playoff team for the next 2 seasons with their rebuild. Any cap dump contract past that point would be detrimental to their ability to get UFA's.

Taking Cally(ufa in [email protected] against the cap per) will cost a solid prospect or pick at least.
Johnson (ufa in 2024 @5m per).....likely more than the previous.
uh what

Johnson isn't a cap dump

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Rangers aren't in a rush to do anything. If good offers aren't there. Hold onto those players. Hope they have good seasons and stay healthy. Teams at the deadline who are contenders are always desperate. They overpay year after year. If Spooner is having a good year, they will get a nice offer for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00