Speculation: Rangers looking to keep all their RFA's?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
uh what

Johnson isn't a cap dump

If you need to move him to make room for Karlsson, he is pretty much a cap dump @ 30m over the next 6 seasons until 2024. The length of the contract is bad.
Not in the sense that he is broken like Callahan is, but Stevie Y will likely have to add a sweetener for someone to take him.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If you need to move him to make room for Karlsson, he is pretty much a cap dump @ 30m over the next 6 seasons until 2024. The length of the contract is bad.
Not in the sense that he is broken like Callahan is, but Stevie Y will likely have to add a sweetener for someone to take him.
Yeah no one wants to take a 50 Point center... LOL

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I wanna keep Spooner and see how he does this season. He was fantastic for us after we got him in the Nash trade.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I'm happy with Kravtsov at 9 over Dobson, after getting Miller. In hinsight our pick at nine might have been just the right guy. But don't be fooled, the Rangers still need more stock in the farm. We had like three nice talents on offense before the draft (Andersson, Chytil, and maaaybe Howden, Lettieri not really) that's nothing. The winger at that spot, with the aim of getting Miller in a D-heavy draft later in the 1st round, was absolutely the right choice.

I love Zucc. He's the heart, no doubt about it. I've watched so many games and he's the only one, that always has his team's back. He's tougher than Kreider imho, clearly the toughest on the team. Don't want to see him ever go. BUT this is unfortunately business, and if a team offers a good price - considering he was an undrafted FA - I'll take it. And a 1st in 2019 is where the conversation starts.
Zucc should 100% be traded at the deadline because we arent contending. Would love to have him back next summer but makes absolutely no sense to not trade him to get a 1st+ at the deadline. Trade him and tell him we would love to have him back july 1st.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Zucc should 100% be traded at the deadline because we arent contending. Would love to have him back next summer but makes absolutely no sense to not trade him to get a 1st+ at the deadline. Trade him and tell him we would love to have him back july 1st.
I agree. No rush, but at some point this season they should get a solid offer and would be stupid to not pull the trigger. That is, unless they are having some sort of miracle season like VGK just had and find themselves in 7th or 8th in East. Then it might be about keeping strength to give the young lineup as much playoff experience as possible.

It's a quantum season with many possibilities. Zucc isn't set in stone as a fixed 1 or zero, but instead the possibility of being a 1 or a zero depending on what is needed at the time.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
They’re assets. No need to let them go for free. They’ll get bridged for two years and then traded or they’ll earn long term contracts. The rangers have plenty of cap. No need to make rash moves now. Maybe one of them blossoms.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Yeah, Zucc will probably be dealt at the deadline. As far as Spooner, meh. I mean, if he takes the spot of a promising kid who is ready, then keeping him is stupid. If not, then he could only help develop some young players. He's a real good passer.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Why? Do you think that 6yrs of Johnson@5M per is not a good value for your club moving forward?

Would they need to move his contract to be a player in the Karlsson.....or other top defender sweepstakes?
I doubt that they are in a rush to move him (that may not have been clear in my previous response). Johnson's contract is a steal, and I think represents at least one time Yzerman has given a NMC befitting the contract and player. That said he is movable, and were he to move I do not believe he would be moved as a cap dump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad