Confirmed with Link: Rangers loan Alexei Bereglazov to Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

There are a bunch of reports on Twitter (I won't embed because that's screwing things up right now for a lot of us) that Bereglazov is heading back to Magnitogorsk, that he'll be exercising his out clause and leaving our organization. I'm tagging the thread as rumor since nothing is official, from what I can tell anyway.

Sucks to lose a defensive depth piece like him. I know he struggled dating back to Traverse, but the things I had been reading about him lately were positive. Not a huge lose but it's never fun having to give up an asset for nothing.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I wonder if he will terminate the contract completely

If he doesn’t he could come back next year (which I doubt he would but)

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
There are a bunch of reports on Twitter (I won't embed because that's screwing things up right now for a lot of us) that Bereglazov is heading back to Magnitogorsk, that he'll be exercising his out clause and leaving our organization. I'm tagging the thread as rumor since nothing is official, from what I can tell anyway.

Sucks to lose a defensive depth piece like him. I know he struggled dating back to Traverse, but the things I had been reading about him lately were positive. Not a huge lose but it's never fun having to give up an asset for nothing.
There will be others like him the international scene, I know Hartford isn’t really a cool city but at least it’s not a steel mill. I think I liked the idea of Beargloves more than Beargloves, plus he has that lazy eye....

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Had high hopes for him. Amazing how different the defense depth chart looks now compared to what I had in mind August.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Had high hopes for him. Amazing how different the defense depth chart looks now compared to what I had in mind August.
I definitely thought Bereglazov and ADA would be up. Kampfer, I figured he'd stick around as a spare. I thought Holden would be gone (though as we got closer to the start of the year it became clear the Rangers had no intention of moving him). So yeah, I agree, I thought we'd look a lot different on the back end.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The defense is on AV and Gorton. AV for refusing to let his toys go, Gorton for not putting his foot down.

We have all this NHL ready defensive depth with DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Graves and Pionk. Instead, Kampfer and Holden have spots on our NHL roster.

That 4 has become 3, as well, if this news is true.

But lets talk about dumb shit like Paul Carey and David Desharnais. Not a big enough fuss has been made about what these two have done to our defense from preseason until now.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe he miss his family - it`s not a big topic.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He is still under contract to the Rangers for one more season.

So it's not an out clause?

Anyway Bereglazov did not have a very good training camp and did not deserve to make the team. To me anyway it seemed he was doing pretty decent in Hartford. Still when you're in Hartford and there are 7 healthy d-men up with the NHL team you're kind of stuck and the Rangers also have some pretty good defenders with the Wolfpack--so the odds weren't on his side for this year anyway.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Still Rangers property. He got to spend a few months here and get a feel for the smaller rink and what not. If he had no desire to play here he would have opted out of his clause.

I still have hopes for him. He can focus on certain aspects of his game until next year and come back to compete for a spot.

Hopefully guys like Holden and Staal won't be here next season either.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The defense is on AV and Gorton. AV for refusing to let his toys go, Gorton for not putting his foot down.

We have all this NHL ready defensive depth with DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Graves and Pionk. Instead, Kampfer and Holden have spots on our NHL roster.

That 4 has become 3, as well, if this news is true.

But lets talk about dumb **** like Paul Carey and David Desharnais. Not a big enough fuss has been made about what these two have done to our defense from preseason until now.
What is there to show Bereglazov is NHL ready? Honest question, maybe he was, but I saw so little of him it was impossible to tell. DeAngelo, Graves and Pionk do appear NHL ready to different degrees, but DeAngelo is the only one of them who I think is 100% NHL ready. Any of them should be playing over Kampfer though, he brings absolutely nothing. And again, Holden is now on the first pair after being 7D out of camp. How can AV be so bad at evaluating his own players that someone swings from 7D to 2D based on essentially nothing?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
What is there to show Bereglazov is NHL ready? Honest question, maybe he was, but I saw so little of him it was impossible to tell. DeAngelo, Graves and Pionk do appear NHL ready to different degrees, but DeAngelo is the only one of them who I think is 100% NHL ready. Any of them should be playing over Kampfer though, he brings absolutely nothing. And again, Holden is now on the first pair after being 7D out of camp. How can AV be so bad at evaluating his own players that someone swings from 7D to 2D based on essentially nothing?
Every year AV has to have at least one scrub that he overplays. He can't help himself.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Every year AV has to have at least one scrub that he overplays. He can't help himself.
True, but this was unusual in that he seemed to agree that Holden was a 7D to start, and now he's overplaying him drastically. In the past, with Girardi for example, he thought G was a first pairing D from day one and stood by it all year.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Good, they are probably running out of room for him in Hartford and want to call up some other guys. This gives them contract number flexibility.

Don't like that he's going back to the big ice surface but I think next year if they do happen to buy out Marc Staal, Bereglazov could be a good 3rd pairing replacement. Glad we are not losing the asset altogether

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah so maybe he comes back at the end of the year when his team's season is over, like Zucc did the one year. Magnitogorsk is on the fringe of the playoff picture this year.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Unfortunate to lose depth, but he isn't NHL ready, so we're lucky that he even stuck around this long. The real crime with our D is not being able to move Holden and/or Kampfer (or just waive the latter?) to make room on the roster for ADA and perhaps either Pionk or Graves. Not every young defenseman is going to force his way onto the roster from the AHL; would be nice to give Pionk and Graves a handful of games each this year to see what we have in them currently.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Very often, these rookies might be NHL ready, but also might not be good NHL'ers, if that makes any sense. I think Bereglazov was ready for a chance in the NHL, like DeAngelo is, like Graves is. All these guys have put in really good play in leagues right below the NHL, the logical progression is a chance in the NHL. Pionk is the only one who I think is not ready for a chance. I think he needs a good season of pro hockey before he'll be ready as he's a slight defenseman and an UDFA anyway. He'll get there though, I think. Two of the other three should be in the NHL, Kampfer should be in Hartford, and Holden on waivers.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So he’ll be back and this isn’t all doom and gloom. Hope Crawley is ready because he just got a huge opportunity to step his shit up.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
At least one of Pionk, Deangelo, and Bereglazov should've made the team but unfortunately the coach chose to play the "veterans". This team will never go anywhere with this mentality.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not surprising. I'm shocked he waited this long considering.

Anyone watch him in Hartford? How'd he look? Barely got any ice in preseason.

He played really well when I saw him, he isn’t flashy, but played good defense and moved the puck well. Was the only plus defender for HFD. You don’t get CF% in the AHL, but he would have stood out positively for sure.

I think this is good for him. The big issue for him is more than anything else intensity and tempo related. The NHL game is just really really fast nowadays. So many more 150-170 lbs forwards that just takes off. Ds that can move the puck and spring those guys. Coaches that drill their team to make those plays. Guys like Faulk and Weber are struggling, and many others.

So between Traverse, preseason and the AHL he got what maybe 20 games in NA. I am sure he and we know what must be done for him to get to the NHL level. He just must become stronger and more explosive.

In a sense I think the KHL gives him better conditions to develop. A little less time on the buss etc. I think the downside especially is the net play. The NA forward just give a few percent more when there are loose pucks in the crease and so forth, are better in those areas.

It can take some time. I remember how Trotz hated Ekholm in Nashville his rookie year. After 2 games in the NHL they sent him back to the SHL at the same age Bereglazov is now. Trotz said:
On the play of rookie Mattias Ekholm, Trotz was brief. “I thought he was horrible, just horrible.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2011/10/21/barry-trotz-if-youre-scared-of-playing-in-the-nhl-get-a-dog/amp/

Trotz also said that Ekholm should give up hockey and get a dog instead. Ekholm is a pretty good D for Nashville nowadays. When he returned to NA a year after he spent another year in the AHL. Then “year 3” he was a small role 6 D. Wasn’t really until “year 5” he started to do well in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad