Confirmed with Link: Rangers loan Alexei Bereglazov to Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He played really well when I saw him, he isn’t flashy, but played good defense and moved the puck well. Was the only plus defender for HFD. You don’t get CF% in the AHL, but he would have stood out positively for sure.

I think this is good for him. The big issue for him is more than anything else intensity and tempo related. The NHL game is just really really fast nowadays. So many more 150-170 lbs forwards that just takes off. Ds that can move the puck and spring those guys. Coaches that drill their team to make those plays. Guys like Faulk and Weber are struggling, and many others.

So between Traverse, preseason and the AHL he got what maybe 20 games in NA. I am sure he and we know what must be done for him to get to the NHL level. He just must become stronger and more explosive.

In a sense I think the KHL gives him better conditions to develop. A little less time on the buss etc. I think the downside especially is the net play. The NA forward just give a few percent more when there are loose pucks in the crease and so forth, are better in those areas.

It can take some time. I remember how Trotz hated Ekholm in Nashville his rookie year. After 2 games in the NHL they sent him back to the SHL at the same age Bereglazov is now. Trotz said:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2011/10/21/barry-trotz-if-youre-scared-of-playing-in-the-nhl-get-a-dog/amp/

Trotz also said that Ekholm should give up hockey and get a dog instead. Ekholm is a pretty good D for Nashville nowadays. When he returned to NA a year after he spent another year in the AHL. Then “year 3” he was a small role 6 D. Wasn’t really until “year 5” he started to do well in the NHL.
That's all good to hear, thanks.

I'm glad we get another crack at him next year. As you said, maybe he'll develop more in the KHL knowing what the NHL game is like and he'll be back.

Crazy that Trotz said all that. Being honest is one thing, but beating up on a player your franchise is trying to make something of just seems petty and stupid.

Reactions: Ola

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I honestly don't understand why so many are up in arms against AV (and Gorton) with this development.

First off, good for AV for not putting all the honey in the Bear Gloves, and being up to build some good depth on D with all the moves that he made, including bringing the Russian over for a chance to make it.

Second, in the offseason it was reasonable to expect that only one D spot was up for grabs. Either Staal or Holden were expected to be in top 6, maybe even both on a rotational basis with another D. Well, it's been less than 20% of the season and ADA did play in some of these (and be honest, if Holden or Staal was playing like he did in the defensive zone and moving the puck out - it would've been a sufficient ground for guillotine, or at least benching).

Finally, Bereglazov have no one but himself to blame for not getting a better chance because of the group of up-and-comers (including ADA, Pionk and Graves), he clearly blew his chance with worse of any outing in Traverse and pre-season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Great to hear that they want him back in September. Gotta imagine the blueline pool will look a bit different come September.

Holden gone. Kampfer might be gone (would have one year left). Staal possibly bought out or traded.

Potential for open spots is there.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The defense is on AV and Gorton. AV for refusing to let his toys go, Gorton for not putting his foot down.

We have all this NHL ready defensive depth with DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Graves and Pionk. Instead, Kampfer and Holden have spots on our NHL roster.

That 4 has become 3, as well, if this news is true.

But lets talk about dumb **** like Paul Carey and David Desharnais. Not a big enough fuss has been made about what these two have done to our defense from preseason until now.

Bereglazov showed sweet f*** all in the camp. Clearly not NHL ready.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If he's back next year he will have a better idea of the things he needs to work on. Also I don't think the culture, language, smaller rinks and style of play will be nearly as much an issue the second time around.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I was a little annoyed he didn’t get more preseason time, especially given that none of the youngsters really made it anyway.

That being said, he didn’t earn it either.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That's all good to hear, thanks.

I'm glad we get another crack at him next year. As you said, maybe he'll develop more in the KHL knowing what the NHL game is like and he'll be back.

Crazy that Trotz said all that. Being honest is one thing, but beating up on a player your franchise is trying to make something of just seems petty and stupid.

Yeah, I always thought Trotz was a clown. To big ego.

Still, it shows the importance of being patient with these kids. Ekholm needed the time until he was like 25-26 to really settle in and be a good NHLer. I remember a young Ekholm very well. Big and heavy shot, but slow in his turns and made a lot of mistakes. He hardly would have pwned Traverse or dominated Camp at the age of 20-21.

But all of it is up to Bereglazov. He can't show up in September complaining on there being no gym in Magnitogorsk...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->