Speculation: Rangers likely to use final buyout on Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'm with you on this. Take away both our 2nd pair d-men and we're going to have a major hole in our defense and of the two I prefer keeping Staal.

The Rangers do have the issue of what they're going to do if they buy out Richards. Hopefully it does get done though. Over the course of this season Richards IMO dropped to our 3rd best center. He outpointed Brassard but he got a lot more pwp time. Richards had two good playoff rounds and then wilted against Montreal and Los Angeles. I don't care for Richards point play on the pwp and I don't care for his subpar defensive play. To be honest I'd go with Stepan-Nash-Kreider. Brassard-Zuccarello and maybe Pouliot again if he re-signs. Hagelin and St. Louis could try to get Miller up to speed. I think there's a decent possibility that a point a game player in the AHL in only his second year could put up 40 points playing on a line with St. Louis. So Miller replacing Richards. If JT can step up the Rangers will be better for it.

Every season the team goes balls to the wall in a futile attempt to improve the offense. Every year, it doesn't work. Every year the team lives and dies with the performance of their defense and goaltending.

So others will have to pardon me if Im a little skeptical when it comes to breaking down a solid part of the team in an attempt to fix what has traditionally been an unfixable problem for the Rangers.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Every season the team goes balls to the wall in a futile attempt to improve the offense. Every year, it doesn't work. Every year the team lives and dies with the performance of their defense and goaltending.

So others will have to pardon me if Im a little skeptical when it comes to breaking down a solid part of the team in an attempt to fix what has traditionally been an unfixable problem for the Rangers.

i think thats a fair assessment. i still think its possible to improve the F without crippling the D...a lot of it has to do with keeping stralman.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think it's important to make kids earn a spot on the team, rather than forcing an opportunity for them. If a kid is ready, the team will find a spot for him somehow. Injuries always happen and I have no doubt he'd be the first call-up.

The thing is, the cap crunch is happening right now, and trading for a big money C or singing a UFA C for big money alters a team that just made the finals in ways that are not reversible.

Say they trade a roster player or two for a center, which also places them right up against the cap. Then Miller is ready. Suddenly, they shipped away roster players from a team that just made the finals for a center that they maybe didn't even need. Can't turn the clock back on that. Okay, trade Brass, put Miller in that spot. The cap savings isn't as great, and Brass has unreal chemistry with Zucc. Then there are meaningless downgrades that just echo through the lineup. It's easier to make trades later than it is to unmake trades made in haste.

And it's not like Miller has been eh in the AHL either. He's clearly figured it out down there. Is he ready for a 2/3C role in the NHL? Who can say? But he's sure as hell ready for the NHL, and he's a center, which they need, and he's on a tiny contract, and they desperately need cap space. Sure, they can find a spot for him after they tear the team apart to find the elusive 1C, but at that point, how many minutes they can find for Miller is the very least of the issue.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The thing is, the cap crunch is happening right now, and trading for a big money C or singing a UFA C for big money alters a team that just made the finals in ways that are not reversible.

Say they trade a roster player or two for a center, which also places them right up against the cap. Then Miller is ready. Suddenly, they shipped away roster players from a team that just made the finals for a center that they maybe didn't even need. Can't turn the clock back on that. Okay, trade Brass, put Miller in that spot. The cap savings isn't as great, and Brass has unreal chemistry with Zucc. Then there are meaningless downgrades that just echo through the lineup. It's easier to make trades later than it is to unmake trades made in haste.

And it's not like Miller has been eh in the AHL either. He's clearly figured it out down there. Is he ready for a 2/3C role in the NHL? Who can say? But he's sure as hell ready for the NHL, and he's a center, which they need, and he's on a tiny contract, and they desperately need cap space. Sure, they can find a spot for him after they tear the team apart to find the elusive 1C, but at that point, how many minutes they can find for Miller is the very least of the issue.

If Richards is bought out and Boyle leaves, we will likely need more depth at center even if Miller is ready.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Miller turned pro one year early. The OHL to the AHL one year early--that's a tough jump. A lot of very talented players couldn't make that jump as well as he did at 19. The Bluejackets were running out of patience with Ryan Johansen for instance turning into a legit NHL player. Miller's spent considerable time in the NHL and even got into 4 playoff games. Sooner or later I'd bet that he's going to start to make a difference. When we talk about bringing in another center--an older guy like Thornton or Spezza or even younger guys like O'Reilly or Pavelski--it comes with a price. We have to trade valuable assets and then we have to have enough alloted cap space. And when you're up against the ceiling and pushing for more top line talent--it's coming out of your depth--like with the Nash trade killing our third and fourth lines. It would be more opportune for us if Miller can take the job next year and even putting up 35 points is an acceptable number for a 3rd line center and if his low cap hit helps to give us better depth--while not demolishing our defense--it's a good thing. If having his lower cap hits allows us to strengthen another area that's a good thing. IMO there's no reason why Miller can't be a more positive player for us next year than Richards was for us this year even if Miller doesn't put up as many points as Richards. Miller is bigger, younger, stronger and a much better skater and he plays with some edge.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
What about someone like Derek Roy, Mikhail Grabovski (someone mentioned him earlier), or Dave Legwand? I know these guys aren't the prototypical #1 centers but if the goal is to try to keep roster turnover to a minimum, my thought is that with Brad Richards' buyout, these players could be cheaper options and it allows JT Miller to compete for a roster spot than hand it over due to lack of depth. Admittedly, I haven't done extensive research and number crunching. I used cap geeks UFA finder and looked for second tier center that wouldn't cripple the cap nor cost assets.

boblink

Jun 28, 2004
Question about buyout rules

I understand that a player can not be bought out if he is injured and my question is, does the injury need to be hockey related or can it be any injury period, (i.e. a hockey related injury or non hockey related injury just as long as he is injured during the buyout period)?
Thanks,
Bob

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I understand that a player can not be bought out if he is injured and my question is, does the injury need to be hockey related or can it be any injury period, (i.e. a hockey related injury or non hockey related injury just as long as he is injured during the buyout period)?
Thanks,
Bob

Has to be hockey related. The Rangers are not on the hook for the contract if he falls off a ladder changing a light bulb tonight.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The deadline is June 30th at 5pm. Start panicking on June 29th. Sather has a history of dragging this kind of stuff out.

It would be better in any case to do the paperwork next week. Let the team be a team for a few days longer. The players earned that right as far as I'm concerned.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The deadline is June 30th at 5pm. Start panicking on June 29th. Sather has a history of dragging this kind of stuff out.

It would be better in any case to do the paperwork next week. Let the team be a team for a few days longer. The players earned that right as far as I'm concerned.
its kinda unfair to Brad to drag it out though...sather doesnt strike me as the kinda guy that would do that. i think last year, he genuinely wasnt sure what he wanted to do.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
its kinda unfair to Brad to drag it out though...sather doesnt strike me as the kinda guy that would do that. i think last year, he genuinely wasnt sure what he wanted to do.

How do you know Richards hasn't already been informed? And if he doesn't know yet? Hey, he can join the list of players who weren't informed before they were traded or cut loose by Sather.

By the way, it was reported last year that Sather was the only person within the organization who wanted to keep Richards last year (too tired to look it up--bet it came from Brooks). Gross mentions in his blog on 6/28/13 that
The Rangers debated long and hard, with apparently differences of opinion within the organization, whether to buy out the final seven years of Richards’ nine-year, $60 million deal

Regardless of last year, with the cap recapture provision, it would be insane to keep him. Either way, an announcement will be made before 5pm June 30th. Then we'll all know.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
What are we at here? Day 4? I lost count after Day one hour one because that's when this should have happened.

RIP patience.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The free agency interview periods begins next Wednesday June 25

The NHL has implemented a significant change from last year regarding the free-agent interview period that begins next Wednesday.

In a memo sent yesterday to all teams and subsequently forwarded by the NHL Players’ Association to all agents, the league will now allow clubs and agents to discuss general parameters of a potential contract for a pending restricted and unrestricted free agent.

Last year if you remember, Commissioner Gary Bettman sent a last-second memo reminding clubs that they could not discuss contract parameters at all during the interview period prior to free agency, which begins this year on July 1.

In the June 18 memo (read over the phone to me by an agent), the league states, “After discussions with a number of general managers, we have revised and hopefully clarified with regard to last summer the permissible parameters of player contract and communication during the applicable interview periods.

“Please be advised that clubs are permitted to discuss the potential interest in as well as general parameters of a potential future contractual relationship with another club’s pending RFA or UFA during the applicable interview periods. The clubs may not enter any agreements or make any binding offers, promises, … oral or written concerning the terms of a potential SPC (standard players contract) with another club’s pending RFA or UFA.”

So in other words, teams and agents can now discuss the general parameters of a deal, as in, “I’ll be looking for a seven-year deal at around $5 million annually,” etc., meaning now players and agents at least know where each other is at heading into July 1 and know who’s in the game and who isn’t.

Last year, there seemed to be confusion where nobody had any idea of what could and couldn’t be discussed during the interview period. Some teams/agents apparently followed the rules, some teams didn’t, which created a conundrum that ticked off the teams that did follow the rules.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/263862641.html

You would expect Richards to be available to speak to other teams when the interview period begins.

Richards has a no movement clause which allows him to be bought out without going on waivers. He can reject the waivers and just be bought out. On waivers,he has no control where he can wind up. In a buyout and then becoming a free agent,Richards controls where he goes. He will still get his $8M in bonus money due to him for the next 3 years plus $12M in the buyout paid out over 12 years. He was paid $33M in the first 3 years. He lost half of the $4M salary in 12-13 with the lockout. He probably got $31M of that $33M. Richards will make up the lost dollars over the next 3 years with his next contract. He will get $8M from his Rangers contract plus $3M from the buyout. That's $11. He is owed $24M over the next 3 years. He needs $13M to make the difference. Morris should get him $4M-$5M per.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
not too worried about Richards financially. It's a good position for him to be him; second to continuing his tenure with the Rangers. He can take a bit less to get a real bite of an apple on a contending team. Could be a real asset for another team. Having said that, he's still currently a Ranger and the decision to buy him out might not have been solidly made as of yet as other things are hammered out, and the Rangers knowing full well they can make the Richards decision a few days down the road.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
When is the 14-15 salary cap due to be announced? From a management standpoint it would make sense to know how much $$ you are dealing with prior to making the Richards decision, especially if you can now also talk to pending FAs prior to July 1.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Buyout Watch Day 5: there appears to be no evidence of a buyout yet. All hope is fading.

There has been no public movement on anything; I wouldn't say hope for anything is fading. The longer it goes, the greater chance Richards stays, for an obvious reason: if he was let go sooner, it would be done. The Rangers have a lot of decisions to be made. They need to hit free agency running, need to set their targets, and need to go through the players and budgeting issues. While Richards seems like a no-brainer, it perhaps isn't because he is well-liked and thought high of throughout the organization, and that includes his coach and teammates. I'm sure some in the organization think it's a no-brainer, others weigh their thoughts on the consequences and how he's replaced, etc. However, for all we know the decision has been made, but not publicly. The have 10 more days to finalize decisions. With a draft in front of them, and perhaps with them trying to make a deal ahead of it, maybe they're a bit busy now.

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
I assume they are waiting until the period a week before free agency starts to start talking to free agents and seeing what they possibly can get before releasing him. That date is June 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad