Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning - November 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A good skill training practice which resulted in 0 pts.
And pp still sucks in my opinion - so I just raise the question again we might need a new PP coach, or this will follow us into the playoffs for sure! :shakehead
It was a good test for us against Tampa, but the stats is really horrific at the moment.
And we probably still lack a mental coach in our staff.

Last edited:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Was Zucc the D partner for McDonagh, there? Whoever it was, that was some of the worst awareness I've seen in a while. You clearly see McD having trouble with the pass, yet there is no backcheck (or at least backing out of the zone)? Woof.

Was it Boyle or Zucc?

Problem was Stepan forcing that pass on the pp with 1 min left in a tied game. Thats complete lack of awareness. Get the puck down low and dont take chances at your own blueline in a tied game with 1 min left. I blame Stepan 70% and Mcdonagh 30% for that last goal.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We also have to put into context that we had Bishop beaten cleanly 4 or 5 times tonight only for Stralman or someone else break the play. Bishop had a horseshoe wedged up his ass tonight, and it paid off.

I do agree with the sentiment that we need to just need to blitz teams that play like that. We need more pucks on net to score dirty goals in games like this.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
That's a different issue. You can say that their offensive style is not suited for the playoffs. That's completely different from them not being a good offensive team. If they don't score it's because they look for the perfect play and there are fewer of those in the regular season, not because they're a poor offensive team.

I also think this is a team that relies on quick transitions and scoring off the rush. Problem is, imo, the playoffs are a different beast than the regular season. There's less time and space, teams matchup more, the games tend to be slower and not as wide open. That's why I think we could use a sniper or a grinder with some skill. I think that's the one piece we're missing. Somebody who isn't afraid to get dirty and shoots too.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
As far as the playoffs go, I'm not really worried about our division. Washington is the only team IMO who can beat us and I know we can beat them, I've seen us do it more than once.

In the ECF, we're going to have to learn how to beat Price or Bishop who so far we haven't been able to, because it's going to be one of them coming out of the Failantic.

Failantic has nothing on the Failcific. That is one horrible division.

I'm really not surprised at the low shot attempts number. I don't think we had much sustained pressure at all. Too much neutral zone play in this game, IMO.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Sucks to lose on a SHG like that with one minute left. I don't even care that we lost. We had one coming. But losing on a mistake like that? Awful.

Otherwise, I think we played the second and third periods pretty well (minus the SHG, ofc).

Bishop got lucky tonight by having Stralman & Co. to bail him out. A few of those chances we had go in any other night, honestly. He's really not an amazing goalie, but for some reason, he has our number.

Lets start the streak over again on Saturday against the Panthers. Tough line of games coming up afterwards, including MTL, who will have Price again.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
No reason to overreact but this team won't win a damn thing in the post season with fixing either:

A) the abortion that is, and has been FOREVER, our powerless play

And / or

B) Nash stops pretending to be a checking 4th line wing

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
No reason to overreact but this team won't win a damn thing in the post season with fixing either:

A) the abortion that is, and has been FOREVER, our powerless play

And / or

B) Nash stops pretending to be a checking 4th line wing

yup. and those 2 are connected.

the pp is brutal.

and rick nash now stands in front of the goalie and that sounds good and he's a big dude and all, but he just as ineffective there because he does everything in slow motion now. he's lumbering and he's lethargic. he's not effective on the wall with the puck, he cannot get open looks anymore, and when he stands in front, he creates very little since he cannot get to the rebounds and loose pucks because he's too slow. unless the puck goes in off his fat ass, he's not scoring there either.

look, he's had numerous chances from a few feet of the net. he's stopped every time. he's slow. he deliberate and he's either checked, blocked or deflected.

slow
slow
slow

he does everything slow.

at this point, he's an 8 million dollar dom moore but the real dom moore is better.

sad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/s...ows-the-score-rangers-pay-him-to-do-more.html

"Nash, however, knows all too well that the Rangers are not paying him $7.9 million this season simply to put in some extra effort at the defensive end when the Rangers are short-handed. Nash is being paid to score, and, as of now, he is not scoring very often."

#lumberingdoofus

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
As far as the playoffs go, I'm not really worried about our division. Washington is the only team IMO who can beat us and I know we can beat them, I've seen us do it more than once.

In the ECF, we're going to have to learn how to beat Price or Bishop who so far we haven't been able to, because it's going to be one of them coming out of the Failantic.

It really sucks that the two goalies in the league that have this teams' number are Price and Bishop. Too bad it couldn't be two Western Conference goalies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
More than anything they need to find a way to adjust to d that takes away lateral passing. Either figure out how to play garbage shot based hockey like the Kings or scheme up a way to pull people out of that box to open up those seams again. Can't keep trying the same failed concept.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
we did... the 2nd period was legit ALL rangers. Tampa hardly had the puck

I think that last night's game is a great example of corsi being a mediocre way to track possession. They had a ton of possession. Didn't do much with it but possession non the less. Still can't believe that bone headed pass step made last night. That is the only pass that could put the team in any trouble with a minute left, and that's the play he decides to make. Frustrating

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Sucks to lose on a SHG like that with one minute left. I don't even care that we lost. We had one coming. But losing on a mistake like that? Awful.

Otherwise, I think we played the second and third periods pretty well (minus the SHG, ofc).

Bishop got lucky tonight by having Stralman & Co. to bail him out. A few of those chances we had go in any other night, honestly. He's really not an amazing goalie, but for some reason, he has our number.

Lets start the streak over again on Saturday against the Panthers. Tough line of games coming up afterwards, including MTL, who will have Price again.

This post nails it. 100%.

We played better than we have in many, many wins this season.

It's not a big deal. It was just absolutely infuriating to lose like that.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Very very frustrating. Allllllmost threw my remote, haven't had that urge in a long long time, not even in the PO defeats.

Tampa
Bishop
Shorty with a min left it end it

That said, it's one friggin game. Hope for a correction on Sat but the Panthers are not an easy out at all.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Maybe this is the year. Rick Nash has a very disappointing regular season, his first legitimately underwhelming one in NY. But then something happens. The last 5 games of the season, he looks like last year MVP candidate Nash. Then the playoffs start and he stays hot. Then he scores at a Conn Smythe pace all the way to the Stanley Cup. I can see it now...

Not happening. The guy is a loser. It's obvious in his body language on the ice and in his playoff performances. He let a little guy like brown punk him last night. Softest big guy in hockey.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The entire goal is on Stepan. Can't put McDonagh in that position with that hard of a pass.

Thank you.

In addition to that, Stepan could (SHOULD) have taken the puck deep and not forced the situation at the point.

Tampa was playing 1-2-1, taking the puck deep forces them back to a 2-2 situation at which point he can get it back to the point.

Bad decision on Stepan's part there and no touch on that pass.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Not happening. The guy is a loser. It's obvious in his body language on the ice and in his playoff performances. He let a little guy like brown punk him last night. Softest big guy in hockey.

Hate to agree with you on this subject matter, but it really is hard not too.

BarbaraAlphanse

Maybe this is the year. Rick Nash has a very disappointing regular season, his first legitimately underwhelming one in NY. But then something happens. The last 5 games of the season, he looks like last year MVP candidate Nash. Then the playoffs start and he stays hot. Then he scores at a Conn Smythe pace all the way to the Stanley Cup. I can see it now...

Remember how mad you got at me in the offseason cause I was being harsh on him? Is this final stage before acceptance? He's not worth the contract.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I'm just sick of Nash's demeanor... he never looks frazzled, but in a bad way...

So little passion, and it reflects in his game. He's netx to worthless offensively at this point

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If I made $700,000 a year to be a pain in the ass, McIlrath attempting to fight me probably won't stop me.

I think if you were 5'10 and 175 and had to fight some 6'5" and 220 your tune would change.

Flip side is that generally speaking I do agree with you that in today's game there is no real deterrence. Rather I see it as settling things down early.

Lets say Brown starts running around in the 1st, Dylan smacks him around. I'd venture a guess he's less likely to continue to do that.

Players are smart. The Lightning were carrying 11 forwards, going down to 10 for 5 minutes early is something teams can recover from. Going down to 10 forwards for a 2nd time puts a good deal of pressure on the remaining ten (even if they can move one of the D to F)

guys that run around like Brown tend to play it a bit more straight when smacked around, moreso when smacked around early.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think if you were 5'10 and 175 and had to fight some 6'5" and 220 your tune would change.

Flip side is that generally speaking I do agree with you that in today's game there is no real deterrence. Rather I see it as settling things down early.

Lets say Brown starts running around in the 1st, Dylan smacks him around. I'd venture a guess he's less likely to continue to do that.

Players are smart. The Lightning were carrying 11 forwards, going down to 10 for 5 minutes early is something teams can recover from. Going down to 10 forwards for a 2nd time puts a good deal of pressure on the remaining ten (even if they can move one of the D to F)

guys that run around like Brown tend to play it a bit more straight when smacked around, moreso when smacked around early.

This. Great post.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
I'm astonished that people are openly blaming McD

clearly wasn't his fault

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Thank you.

In addition to that, Stepan could (SHOULD) have taken the puck deep and not forced the situation at the point.

Tampa was playing 1-2-1, taking the puck deep forces them back to a 2-2 situation at which point he can get it back to the point.

Bad decision on Stepan's part there and no touch on that pass.

What about Yandles attempted long pass deep in the zone? I said "uh-oh" as soon as the Bolts guy snagged it.

If that was high hockey I.Q.,then yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad