Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning - November 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Losses happen, just wish it wasn't to this team in this injury state, on that ****ing goal. I do think that third goal was bad execution but also really bad luck.

Carl Swaglin

Apr 23, 2014
Middletown, NJ
If I made $700,000 a year to be a pain in the ass, McIlrath attempting to fight me probably won't stop me.

It's not about thought at some point it's about instinct and conditioning I.e pavlovs dogs. Associating pain and discomfort with mcilrath would cause him to change his behavior it's basic phsycology and nothing about money. Sure maybe he would still be told to do that the same thing by the coach, however he would start to second guess it. And if you've played sports as I have as soon as you start think to much rather than acting on instinct that's when mistakes start happening, maybe it's a penalty or a turnover who knows. Studies show these are affective.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't care what the stats say. This is not a good offensive team. Kreider and Nash are garbage right now. When we face teams with a sound defense and good goaltending, we don't score for ****. Guess what kinds of teams we'll be playing in the playoffs.

Didn't take long to see the overreaction. Lose one game and the team sucks. Give me a ****ing break. It's one bad loss and the "it's not a good (blank) team" is in full force.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We had 33 shot attempts in that game. That's it.

Am I crazy, or did we have a lot more zone time than that?

We don't shoot enough. We look for the perfect play and I like like doing that when we're able to. Against tight defensive teams, we have to shoot more. We have to be better at screening because the shots we did get sucked.

Carl Swaglin

Apr 23, 2014
Middletown, NJ
Didn't take long to see the overreaction. Lose one game and the team sucks. Give me a ****ing break. It's one bad loss and the "it's not a good (blank) team" is in full force.

I have to disagree. This a great team who many including myself think are not playing up to their potential. The better you are at something the smaller the room for margin is. If ovechkin doesn't score over 40 goals people talk about how he sucks now but if Dominic Moore scores 5 goals people won't say anything.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Are you confident that this team is going to score enough in the playoffs?

I think this team is highly-skilled. Probably the most creative forward group in the league.

I do wonder if we can consistently score playoff goals, most of which are garbage.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Tampa will make playoffs guys. They'll get injured players back and pull their fingers out. Tampa is a good team.

Thought Tampa looked awful - they're mediocre at best right now. And the players who are out, except for Palat, hadn't done anything this year.

Frustrating game, but we've won a few where we were dominated, tables got turned. I also threw something for the first time in a long time.

Relax, we're making the playoffs unless something ridiculous (injuries) happen, season really starts mid-April.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

We don't shoot enough. We look for the perfect play and I like like doing that when we're able to. Against tight defensive teams, we have to shoot more. We have to be better at screening because the shots we did get sucked.

Same crap happened against Tampa in the ECF. Glad to see they learned their lesson from that series :shakehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This team also seems to just have Hank's number for some reason. At least one real softy just about every time we play them.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006

We don't shoot enough. We look for the perfect play and I like like doing that when we're able to.
Against tight defensive teams, we have to shoot more. We have to be better at screening because the shots we did get sucked.

This is exactly what I usually see with this team and why I think their Corsi doesn't truly reflect actual possession. Not that they would be among the top of the league, just quite a bit higher.

The "perfect play" disease is why this team's PP isn't as good as it could be. It's also why a guy like Yandle who actually has a pretty good shot can be infuriating. We have a lot of "unselfish" players.

I think this team is highly-skilled. Probably the most creative forward group in the league.

I do wonder if we can consistently score playoff goals, most of which are garbage.

This is the big worry. I see 3 issues. Size to take away the goalie's vision. Willingness to shoot. Lack of D whose shot is a weapon.

Teams get better defensively the further you go in the play-offs. So much offense then comes from rebounds, deflections and screens. Point shots and bad angle shots through traffic are basically all that's out there when teams go into zone defense.

This type of offense doesn't come naturally to this team. It's not who many of our current players are and we lack some elements to run it (big point shots, size at forward.)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have to disagree. This a great team who many including myself think are not playing up to their potential. The better you are at something the smaller the room for margin is. If ovechkin doesn't score over 40 goals people talk about how he sucks now but if Dominic Moore scores 5 goals people won't say anything.

If Ovechkin doesn't score 40 and people don't say "this was a poor year for him" but say he sucks because he scored 38, that's an overreaction. Like saying "the Rangers are not as good offensively as their stats" seems reasonable even if arguable, but saying like the poster I quoted that "the Rangers are not a good offensive team" is laughable. Sure, their standards are higher than Toronto, but even controlling for that, that was a ****ing laughable overreaction and the reason this board is difficult to come to after losses. First regulation loss in over a month and we get garbage like that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Are you confident that this team is going to score enough in the playoffs?

That's a different issue. You can say that their offensive style is not suited for the playoffs. That's completely different from them not being a good offensive team. If they don't score it's because they look for the perfect play and there are fewer of those in the regular season, not because they're a poor offensive team.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

we did... the 2nd period was legit ALL rangers. Tampa hardly had the puck

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
This is exactly what I usually see with this team and why I think their Corsi doesn't truly reflect actual possession. Not that they would be among the top of the league, just quite a bit higher.

The "perfect play" disease is why this team's PP isn't as good as it could be. It's also why a guy like Yandle who actually has a pretty good shot can be infuriating. We have a lot of "unselfish" players.

This is the big worry. I see 3 issues. Size to take away the goalie's vision. Willingness to shoot. Lack of D whose shot is a weapon.

Teams get better defensively the further you go in the play-offs. So much offense then comes from rebounds, deflections and screens. Point shots and bad angle shots through traffic are basically all that's out there when teams go into zone defense.

This type of offense doesn't come naturally to this team. It's not who many of our current players are and we lack some elements to run it (big point shots, size at forward.)

Sound like Big buff would work. No seriously tho I think we're fine we still have what 60 some odd games left to figure it out. We just won 9 in a row out scoring opponents 33-14 that doesn't show me any signs of scoring woes. Garbage goals will come even if at the deadline you look for a bottom six guy that literally makes his living off garbage goals. I think it's rash tho and I'm more then comfortable with our roster

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Sound like Big buff would work. No seriously tho I think we're fine we still have what 60 some odd games left to figure it out. We just won 9 in a row out scoring opponents 33-14 that doesn't show me any signs of scoring woes. Garbage goals will come even if at the deadline you look for a bottom six guy that literally makes his living off garbage goals. I think it's rash tho and I'm more then comfortable with our roster

Joel Ward for Rick Nash?

Seriously...

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Maybe this is the year. Rick Nash has a very disappointing regular season, his first legitimately underwhelming one in NY. But then something happens. The last 5 games of the season, he looks like last year MVP candidate Nash. Then the playoffs start and he stays hot. Then he scores at a Conn Smythe pace all the way to the Stanley Cup. I can see it now...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As far as the playoffs go, I'm not really worried about our division. Washington is the only team IMO who can beat us and I know we can beat them, I've seen us do it more than once.

In the ECF, we're going to have to learn how to beat Price or Bishop who so far we haven't been able to, because it's going to be one of them coming out of the Failantic.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
i hate our power play.

ive hated it for so long.

i continue to hate it

it sucks.

Obvious day to say this, but one problem with the PP is Stepan. He plays there by default as the only right shot. But he just isn't very comfortable with the puck on the PP. Often stressed. Never really solve any situations with poised plays. Often a bit of so-so passing. Shot is no real strength.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Obvious day to say this, but one problem with the PP is Stepan. He plays there by default as the only right shot. But he just isn't very comfortable with the puck on the PP. Often stressed. Never really solve any situations with poised plays. Often a bit of so-so passing. Shot is no real strength.

I don't know about stressed, but there's basically 2 things he does with the puck when he's got it. 1) Pass it back to the blueline for alibi's sake. 2) Try to force it to the other side of the ice, passing it through 3 defenders. Once he decides to shoot it things aren't as bad. He's always had an underrated shot.

The one thing that really pisses me off about that loss is that we'll inevitably hear about the time the mighty Bolts defeated us with their AHL squad, if we should meet them in the Playoffs. Woof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad