Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning 2/2/13 "Rick Nash still hasn't scored on a shot WTF!!!"

SupersonicMonkey*

He couldn't hack it in Ottawa or TB, though to be fair they probably expected more out of him than he could give them.

If he plays like this he's not a bad 6th d-man. I wouldn't mind replacing him externally, though, and I don't know if he's going to keep it up.

"Couldn't hack it".

He averaged 17+ minutes in Tampa, 17 points, +2

In Ottawa averaged 17+ minutes. Even +/-.

His two previous years with the Rangers he averaged 16+ and 14+ minutes. Even and +5. Scored 15 and 11 points. In the playoffs the second year he was one of our better players.

Thus far in two games he's even. No goals allowed. Averaging 9+ minutes.

Gilroy is a good player. The blind hate is ridiculous. Yes Tampa and Ottawa put him in a larger role then he can handle in the NHL.

He's a player, not without flaws. He's a good #5-#6. Bottom pair defenseman. With controlled minutes and less on his plate he can contribute.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
"Couldn't hack it".

He averaged 17+ minutes in Tampa, 17 points, +2

In Ottawa averaged 17+ minutes. Even +/-.

His two previous years with the Rangers he averaged 16+ and 14+ minutes. Even and +5. Scored 15 and 11 points. In the playoffs the second year he was one of our better players.

Thus far in two games he's even. No goals allowed. Averaging 9+ minutes.

Gilroy is a good player. The blind hate is ridiculous. Yes Tampa and Ottawa put him in a larger role then he can handle in the NHL.

He's a player, not without flaws. He's a good #5-#6. Bottom pair defenseman. With controlled minutes and less on his plate he can contribute.

Good player? No, I wouldn't say that. Competent? Sure, absolutely. He wasn't good defensively in Tampa Bay, despite all the minutes he played. He started well and then reverted to what he is- an alright skater who's not that good defensively who will sometimes get assists. I'm fine with that over Bickel, but just because he had a decent two games doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have somebody better defensively to pair with Stralman.

SupersonicMonkey*

Again it depends on the role you put him in.

This is a good situation for him.

Bottom pair. Less pressure. Less money. Less expectations

He quietly had two good games against two good teams. IMO he will be good in this role.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Again it depends on the role you put him in.

This is a good situation for him.

Bottom pair. Less pressure. Less money. Less expectations

He quietly had two good games against two good teams. IMO he will be good in this role.

I certainly hope so. If he plays like he did the past two games he'll work here. Hopefully he doesn't revert to old Rangers version of Gilroy. Looking forward to him proving me wrong.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Biron also makes it easier on our defense because he can handle the puck better than the King . That alone helps the transition game and gets it out of the zone faster . The rest will also be good for the King !

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I will only consider Gilroy a success if he plays double digit minutes, and can spare Staal and Girardi on the power play.

7 minutes a game, and he isn't doing anything for us Eminger couldn't. (The Eminger who has played significant pk minutes for this team)

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Whats up with the title? Yeah.. we can complain about the lack of goals, but...

8 games.. 7 points (almost a point per game pace)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad