Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning 2/2/13 "Rick Nash still hasn't scored on a shot WTF!!!"

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Hey guys, Flames fan coming in piece.

A quick fantasy question, McDonagh is an amazing top pairing dman, but hasn't recorded a point yet. I have him in my pool, does it look like he's about to breakout and what's a realistic projection for him this season and next year over 82 games?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

no, not really. He might snag a point here or there, but hes not going to start putting up big points anytime soon.

Maybe that will come eventually, but hasent looked like it so far this season.

I would think something like 18-20 points is about what is expected.

As for next year, Im not sure. Hes young enough that he could eventually develop more offense to his game and have a 40+ point season.

SupersonicMonkey*

I couldn't agree more.

He got more jump then I expected from a player his age.

It might not be Torts melody, but being a four line type of guy, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this when Cally gets back (with Ferrerio being an option for Kreider of course):
Gabby-BR-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Pyatt
Kreider-Halpern-Callahan
Asham-Boyle-Rupp

Rupp Is garbage. He should be rotting somewhere with Bickel.

Gabby-BR-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Pyatt
Kreider-Halpern-Callahan
Asham-Boyle-Ferriero

Gilroy has been good. I know it hurts people to admit it because they have too much invested in blindly hating him.

McDonagh. Girardi
Staal. Del Zotto
Stralman. Gilroy

Those have been our best players. Been our best combinations.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks so much for your guys feedback! Glad to see your team is starting to get rolling again. I also have Stepan and MDZ, plus I like the Rangers so best of luck from here on in.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Hey friendly face from anutha fanbase! McD is a top notch D-man in this league and put up some points last season. I wouldn't add him to a fantasy team solely for his point production though. I believe other stats factor in as well like +/- (don't count on him for PIMs) he'll come around, he's been solid this year so far and has made some great plays but hasn't found the scoreboard just yet.

This season I'd have him at:

50gp 6g 16a 22pts

That's being generous I think. He's more of a shut down guy. He's also -3 so far this season, but that will change soon as the Rangers start shaking off the rust and getting back to form.

Indeed...they add a couple extra games to the schedule just for him? lol

Bardof425*

McD was awesome last night. Did any of Tampa's top players do anything except with a man advantage? No. Gilroy looked good. He should keep dressing until his play loses him the job. Bickel has to go to Hartford. It's just silly at this point. I thought Halpern had a strong game to with the obvious standouts; Step, Hags and Biron.

Bardof425*

Rupp Is garbage. He should be rotting somewhere with Bickel.

Gabby-BR-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Pyatt
Kreider-Halpern-Callahan
Asham-Boyle-Ferriero

Gilroy has been good. I know it hurts people to admit it because they have too much invested in blindly hating him.

McDonagh. Girardi
Staal. Del Zotto
Stralman. Gilroy

Those have been our best players. Been our best combinations.

That lineup looks good. I would break up the first line but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
I thought the tampa game was Halpern's best game thus far, he seemed to have speed and be hard on the puck, i'd like to seem him with kreider and Callahan when they both come back, it could be a very good line.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Add me to the group that likes what I am seeing from Gilroy. Never really had the hate for him like some other posters on here but considering Stu Bickel is useless on D, if Gilroy can continue to play like this it could solve our 6th d-man issue.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I have said a long time to me chemistry is much more important than who plays on the appropriate line... if that line continues to work, and the way we roll them, Halpern-Boyle-Callahan could get a look and with Cally's PP and PK minutes he will still be playing 20+ a game.

Apr 10, 2012
so do we think gilroy just had a good start because of who he was playing? or did he earn that 6th spot next game?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We need t call someone up from Hartford to play wing.

Otherwise, we might as well just dress Eminger as a 7th defensemen and use him when/if we need him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Just got done watching the game. Was pleasantly surprised by the team's performance last night. It actually felt like a Rangers game. Granted, Tampa coming off a game the night before, but still. I generally have terrible memories of the Rangers playing in Tampa except for games here and there. Good solid win and something to build off of. 2 full days to digest what they did right.

SupersonicMonkey*

so do we think gilroy just had a good start because of who he was playing? or did he earn that 6th spot next game?

Tampa is a good team. They may not be #1 seed good, but they're a legitimate playoff team.

Gilroy was also good against the Penguins.

He's never recorded a sub 0 +/- rating in any of his NHL seasons. He can score double digits in points.

He isn't very physical but he's a good player. For a 6th defenseman at his contract, his character, you can't ask for much more from that spot.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Gilroy can skate and pass so even though he's not very physical, if he can learn to use his stick to defend and when to join the rush/stay back, he could really do wonders in this system.

He played 8 minutes last night, if he can play 11-12 a night and reduce the top four's minutes, mission accomplished.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Tampa is a good team. They may not be #1 seed good, but they're a legitimate playoff team.

Gilroy was also good against the Penguins.

He's never recorded a sub 0 +/- rating in any of his NHL seasons. He can score double digits in points.

He isn't very physical but he's a good player. For a 6th defenseman at his contract, his character, you can't ask for much more from that spot.

He couldn't hack it in Ottawa or TB, though to be fair they probably expected more out of him than he could give them.

If he plays like this he's not a bad 6th d-man. I wouldn't mind replacing him externally, though, and I don't know if he's going to keep it up.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, but who? Bourque? Hrivik? Miller? Mashinter? Thomas? Yogan?

All the AHL fans I talk to insist Miller isn't ready, so either Segal (Who has 100 NHL games under his belt) or Kyle Jean, who is an intriguing prospect out of the NCAA.

It would likely be short term until Cally returns.

Brady Skjei

Aug 12, 2010
Yeah, but who? Bourque? Hrivik? Miller? Mashinter? Thomas? Yogan?

Miller MIGHT be an option later in the year, not now though. I say either Segal, Mashinter (who has NHL experience.. albeit extremely limited, but experience nonetheless) or Hrivik, who was going to be invited to camp before his concussion. I feel like Segal would be first on the list, followed by Mashinter, then Hrivik. Like Antithesis said, Kyle Jean is an intriguing option too.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
is Kreider not going to be ready for Tuesday? IF so then sit Bickel , keep Gilroy on D if he's doing well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad