Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning ∙ 12/29

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
You aren't remembering correctly....they had the same issue. Av publicly called him out for it, "Russian conditioning"
Glad we got a point . Great effort by most . Now I have to decide whether to read 54 pages or move on to another thread. I agree.....Kravs is a bit light when battling some big guys .

He's still the most skilled player on the team outside of Fox but he's a shell of himself.
Now that is Russian conditioning at it's finest .

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
That’s fair but at the same time I’ve heard his name called just as much in games he’s been dressed which was more my point

We can debate all day about usage etc but he’s gotta find a way to force their hand through his play in the time he does get and I keep waiting for that to happen and I’ll continue to hope it does
Look i get he has to be better but every time he gets some momentum he still gets demoted. Last year he was on a line with Kreider and Zib and the line was doing really well and they have an off night and all of a sudden he's off that line . This year, he gets on mikas line and looks like hes shot out of a canon, gets 2 goals in 4 periods of play, has a bad shift and Vesey replaces him on that line and he never gets back there. Forcing their hand ends up with the same result, he's not the type to complain in public but I'm sure he's beyond frustrated and his comfidence is shot. This guy is used to being relied on, used to playing 20 mins a night, some guys can adjust and play 12-14 mins and some can't, some need their motor reving to play. I believe this is the case with him. What i can't understand is that, fine, they dont wanna use him on the pp, but why not work on him being a pk guy so he adds a couple mins a night to his mins, it's helped Kakko imo. I truly believe he needs to be skating and feel like he's contributing to the success if the team to be confident. I've seen a lot of kids like this, its the chicken and the egg with them, sure they need to be better to get more minutes but they also need more minutes to be better.

Glad we got a point . Great effort by most . Now I have to decide whether to read 54 pages or move on to another thread. I agree.....Kravs is a bit light when battling some big guys .

Now that is Russian conditioning at it's finest .
I mean he's 23 but still a rookie so he has to be evaluated like a rookie, I'm not disappointed with him at all, i think he's played well and is earning his spot, he needs to stay in ny this summer.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Look i get he has to be better but every time he gets some momentum he still gets demoted. Last year he was on a line with Kreider and Zib and the line was doing really well and they have an off night and all of a sudden he's off that line . This year, he gets on mikas line and looks like hes shot out of a canon, gets 2 goals in 4 periods of play, has a bad shift and Vesey replaces him on that line and he never gets back there. Forcing their hand ends up with the same result, he's not the type to complain in public but I'm sure he's beyond frustrated and his comfidence is shot. This guy is used to being relied on, used to playing 20 mins a night, some guys can adjust and play 12-14 mins and some can't, some need their motor reving to play. I believe this is the case with him. What i can't understand is that, fine, they dont wanna use him on the pp, but why not work on him being a pk guy so he adds a couple mins a night to his mins, it's helped Kakko imo. I truly believe he needs to be skating and feel like he's contributing to the success if the team to be confident. I've seen a lot of kids like this, its the chicken and the egg with them, sure they need to be better to get more minutes but they also need more minutes to be better.

I mean he's 23 but still a rookie so he has to be evaluated like a rookie, I'm not disappointed with him at all, i think he's played well and is earning his spot, he needs to stay in ny this summer.

I hope they don't let him anywhere near Panarin and he gets his training elsewhere .

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Solid game overall, and you cant worry too much about a SOL when you had 47 shots on goal, but the downfall of this team is going to be coaching and the powerplay if its not rectified. We had golden opportunities to win but the commitment to Mika one timers on the PP is not a good one.

Also an observation on Panarin. Hes been better with his all around game recently, but until he is a threat on a nightly basis like Kucherov, we wont reach our ceiling. Its time for a come to jesus moment like Kuch had after the Columbus sweep. Fine isnt good enough for the Breadman

Reactions: shackleton

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Played hard, but missed a couple of chances again. The PP is just way way too predictable. Everybody knows they want that Mika one timer.

I thought the absence of Lafreniere didn’t hurt, but it certainly didn’t help either. It’s like a less worse version of Kakko’s scratching. Maybe he doesn’t make a difference, but I still trust him to make a play over someone like Blais.

Reactions: McRanger92

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Could and should have won this game. Bottom line is we are lacking finishers right now. Yes, Vasi decided to be at his best last night but we missed a bunch of wide open type opportunities.
Please, the people criticizing Fox for his passing, go away.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Sorry buddy but you are showing your negative outlook or inability to watch a hockey game. There was one stretch where Tampa did not have a shot for something like 8 minutes. The Rangers controlled the play for stretches during the game and really played a solid game. Both goalies played unreal. So if you want to kill the Rangers you are both statistically wrong and the eye ball test also negates your point. I would just as easily say the Rangers could have won that game 8-1 as much as Tampa did given they had 3 breakaways, multiple missed wide open sides or nets( Blais sticks out as one) and basically matched Tampa is shots.

I get it frustrating to spend money to watch the team lose but you got to see an incredible NHL game with 2 all world goalies playing!
Yup… got to watch tape to skate passes, shots that at times went 6ft wide… watch us get drilled physically & mentally and win 30% on the dot
Team is shit and if Drury spends a 1st I’m changing teams at age 49 because that just means Sather is at the helm or Drury learned everything he knows from him.
Either way… send a 1st (including Dallas) and I’m out

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yup… got to watch tape to skate passes, shots that at times went 6ft wide… watch us get drilled physically & mentally and win 30% on the dot
Team is shit and if Drury spends a 1st I’m changing teams at age 49 because that just means Sather is at the helm or Drury learned everything he knows from him.
I disagree with a lot of this except the part about Sather. I knew he'd mess the rebuild up the day they announced it, Gorton at the press conference said their focus was on building a team for the future and Sather interjected and said they were planning on winning, Gorton had to correct him again and said the focus was on draft picks. I knew then Gorton wouldn't be able to see it through. Sather controls everything about this team because he's Dolans guy. I was annoyed with losing thr first pick last year, ill be less annoyed if we only trade one this year as long as its for someone we can use beyond this year, if we are dumping assets for Kane ill be really upset. Next year is our realistic time to start pushing for a cup, but the kids need help to get t that level.

Reactions: CLW

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We lost fair and square, but IMHO it was the best/most entertaining/nail biting game of the season. They looked MUCH MORE competitive/engaged, which closely resembled a playoff game. Hopefully, this will be the norm moving forward.
they play like that, they will win the major majority of their remaining games.

Reactions: romba

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Nice knowing ya

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Fil was a dumb pick, the guy has no hands lol
That may be so, but did you ever think that just might be GG's way of giving the kid a chance because he has been playing exceptionally well of late? You know, a little extra boost/go get em'/rah rah..... kind of pat on his back? Yeah he missed but so did 4 other "supposed" sharp shooters. lol.

Reactions: leetch99

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
That may be so, but did you ever think that just might be GG's way of giving the kid a chance because he has been playing exceptionally well of late? You know, a little extra boost/go get em'/rah rah..... kind of pat on his back? Yeah he missed but so did 4 other "supposed" sharp shooters. lol.
Sure, but putting Chytil in a skills competition is like asking Panarin to fight someone, its not his thing. If he wanted to give him a go get him rah rah he would have started him in ot.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It’s my fault Kakko didn’t score, it’s cause I bought his jersey today smh
Don't feel so alone/bad. I wore my Hank t-shirt underneath my Fox jersey, because I felt it was a special occasion vs TB. God I hate that team more legit now, stemming from 2015, and what? 3 cups and especially now that McD is no longer with them.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This is just ugly for us, a quote from Brooks
"The Rangers are not getting anywhere near the production they need from Zibanejad, who had gone eight straight games without a goal and 11 straight without a five-on-five goal before his first-period tally Thursday. Indeed, Zibanejad entered playing ranking 86th of the 97 forwards with 450:00 in five-on-five goals per 60:00 at 0.5. Trocheck ranked tied for next-to-last at 0.35."

☝️double standard right there.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Overall lots of positives but I'm sure the usual suspects want to tear it down and fire everyone (I chose not to read 54 pages of negativity).

We got goalied by the best goalie in the league. Sure, we missed some good chances but IT HAPPENS. We were extremely competitive, got a bunch of breakaways and odd man chances, had good zone time, got good goaltending, VK looked good but needs to toughen up in the off season, we changed up the PP looking for CK deflections again, KK made a nice move in the shootout but hit the post, and KK got a point baby!

Also did you know (thank you Tampa broadcast for giving useful stats) that YOU'RE NEW YORK RANGERS are #1 in offensive zone possession time in the league? Numero uno. In the NHL. If we make the playoffs we're gonna be a heavy team to play against. @Machinehead has mentioned GG having us play a similar possession style to the Kings that steamrolled us in possession in *that* SC and he was right of course. We're not blazing fast so that's our style, and we even looked pretty quick last night. Where are all the 5 on 5 possession naysayers?

Meanwhile MSG is letting us know that Fox is pretty good and Panarin has points in games this year. Original six broadcast snobs can't be bothered with the most simple of fancy stats and I hate it.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
why wait? you've got a great handle on this team....and if they trade that pick...especially with you warning them that you will switch teams if they do - is just them disrespecting you. Dont stand for that!! Especially after all the insight you bring for them. We support your decision to go....

Best of luck to you with your new team. :clap:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I mean Adam Fox was not a bad choice. Chytil 0 for 6. What was that move? He had his head down looking at the puck the whole time. Easy mode for the goalie there.
Certainly not Filip's strongpoint. In fact this is probably the main culprit as to why he gets slammed so often. He is always looking DOWN at the puck. Kind of like me staring at a typewriter board. I cant type unless I am staring down at the letters. lol

It seems like they practice shooting the passes at each other.
and hitting posts, I mean they lead the league in that category. so, there's that.

Reactions: Cmox

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Certainly not Filip's strongpoint. In fact this is probably the main culprit as to why he gets slammed so often. He is always looking DOWN at the puck. Kind of like me staring at a typewriter board. I cant type unless I am staring down at the letters. lol

and hitting posts, I mean they lead the league in that category. so, there's that.
twin-peaks-old-people-typing.gif

Reactions: Larrybiv

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Good game against a good team. Can't win them all. It was fun too at least.

I'm not really worried about the PP. The goals aren't coming but that's just how it is. PPs are hot and cold. Things could be improved but I'm sure the goals will come.

Trouba is a serious issue in all three zones and he has had a huge hand in losing winnable points this year. I don't know what it will take to fix it. He's clearly injured but are we just gonna run him out there all year and playoffs when he's doing his best to f*** us?

Played hard, but missed a couple of chances again. The PP is just way way too predictable. Everybody knows they want that Mika one timer.
This is a weird remark considering several of their best PP chances did not come off Mika 1-Ts.

I agree they rely on it a little too much and do not utilize Fox's wrist shot enough but this night wasn't one of them.

This is just ugly for us, a quote from Brooks
"The Rangers are not getting anywhere near the production they need from Zibanejad, who had gone eight straight games without a goal and 11 straight without a five-on-five goal before his first-period tally Thursday. Indeed, Zibanejad entered playing ranking 86th of the 97 forwards with 450:00 in five-on-five goals per 60:00 at 0.5. Trocheck ranked tied for next-to-last at 0.35."

☝️double standard right there.
I think Trochek and Kreider are leigitmately very unlucky this year. Lots of posts. Lots of huge saves. Lots of just-misses.

Zibanejad is just continuing his ES decline and it starts with his loss of foot speed. He has a really hard time opening lanes to take clean shots now and I can't understand how he loses the puck as easy as he does.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I believe Gallant said after the last game that he’s not going to change that top PP because those guys are too good and they’ll figure it out eventually.

Dude is out here making coaching decisions by throwing darts basically lol
I wonder if GG would shoot WIDE with a few of those darts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad