Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning ∙ 12/29

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Agree. we played much better than many of our 7 game winning streak and certainly better than our previous losses to Pitt and Wash.
But, I make no mistake into thinking that TB was ready for us. They played probably THEIR best game even through their previous 5. What I find amazing is that they played the night prior (Mont) and there were NO real signs of them being exhausted by the 3rd period, which usually is commonplace. I guess thats what being CHAMPS brings. They KNOW how to deal with such things. I hate that effin' team, but I do have much hated respect.
Credit to Tampa. They’re never out of a match and always dangerous. As you say, they’re champs for a reason.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I just find it hilarious that MSG has a goaltending bias in their data.

It's like giving a moose growth hormones.
If anything giving bias home scoring towards the better players will go less scrutinized because it just kinda makes sense to give the player the benefit of the doubt.

Like not attributing errors to a smooth fielding shortstop, or giving an error rather than a hit to an infield hit off an elite pitcher. In football you'd see it happen a lot with star players on defense since offense it is hard to smudge things, like Luke Keuchly getting tackle stat boosts at home, or give Strahan the full sack rather than a shared half sack.

It stands out more if the home field stats give a boost to a known shit player tbh

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There’s nothing special about this years team. Last year you could feel it. They had the it factor. I was not surprised to see them in the ECF. I expected a good run. This years team just doesn’t have it. The kids haven’t taken a leap. And the vets are a year older and not doing what they did a year ago. The goaltending was average at best to start. The power play without Kreider contributing stinks.

Trouba has been lousy on too many nights

The home record is garbage. They don’t get wins from halak.

Just nothing impressed me about this years team. Too many nights leaving us frustrated to watch. Really thought they’d be a Cup contender this year. But They may miss completely imo

Reactions: Slaydagnar

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
There’s nothing special about this years team. Last year you could feel it. They had the it factor. I was not surprised to see them in the ECF. I expected a good run. This years team just doesn’t have it. The kids haven’t taken a leap. And the vets are a year older and not doing what they did a year ago. The goaltending was average at best to start. The power play without Kreider contributing stinks.

Just nothing impressed me about this years team. Too many nights leaving us frustrated to watch. Really thought they’d be a Cup contender this year. But They may miss completely imo
Almost as if we're looking at the Expansion Year Golden Knights and Year 2 Golden Knights. Yay.

We know how it ends.

We'll be mediocre for the rest of the year, running hot and cold but more cold. Lose in the 1st or 2nd round. Start next year with a similar slump to this season.... Enter 'new' retread.

Last edited:
Reactions: mas0764 and CLW

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Almost as if we're looking at the Expansion Year Golden Knights and Year 2 Golden Knights. Yay.

We know how it ends.

We'll be mediocre for the rest of the year, running hot and cold but more cold. Lose in the 1st or 2nd round. Start next year with a similar slump to this season.... Enter 'new' retread.
Well... same coach so...

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You aren't remembering correctly....they had the same issue. Av publicly called him out for it, "Russian conditioning"
I remember Buchnevich. Just because he wan't strong enough doesn't mean he was as fragile as Kravtsov has been. Also, Buchnevich had a little bit of feistiness to him. Kravtsov has yet to show even that. Kravtsov doesn't even seem annoyed when he gets knocked down.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I remember Buchnevich. Just because he wan't strong enough doesn't mean he was as fragile as Kravtsov has been. Also, Buchnevich had a little bit of feistiness to him. Kravtsov has yet to show even that. Kravtsov doesn't even seem annoyed when he gets knocked down.
This is revisionist history.

Buchnevich's back specifically was a sore point (literally) he didn't have the strength for the NHL at first.

He constantly hurt his back when going into the corners. We constantly complained how soft and disinterested he was.

It was only his second to last season here when we he became what we affectionately called "American Buch". It was in this season that his off ice strength work became apparent and he developed the snarl you are talking about.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Buchnevich's back specifically was a sore point (literally) he didn't have the strength for the NHL at first.

He constantly hurt his back when going into the corners. We constantly complained how soft and disinterested he was.

It was only his second to last season here when we he became what we affectionately called "American Buch". It was in this season that his off ice strength work became apparent and he developed the snarl you are talking about.

Didnt he miss a large amount of time in-season early in his career for "core strengthening"? It was a long time ago and I could be remembering it wrong but it rings a bell.

If they are following similar development paths, holding Kravtsov out for a few weeks like they did after he was getting hurt every shift makes complete sense

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Last year we had the perfect storm of opponents goalies and back up goalies hurt, not to mention Sid. We barely made it to Tampa even with all that, last year was a fluke imo and shouldn't have been a measuring stick at all. The timeline shouldn't have been touched, this year still should be about getting our kids to the next level so we can compete for a cup.

He was out with back injuries a lot because of it and he only got his feistyness in his last 2 years here.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Talk about revisionist history.

Buchnevich put up 43 points in his second season.

In his very 1st season he was a .5 per point player. After that, well above it.

Kravtsov is in his 2nd season and for his career, he is a .18 per point player.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
All the points about these team contention possibilities are completely valid.

My biggest concern isn't whether or not they have it, it's the fact that it looks like they are pacing themselves because last year they ran out of steam at the end.

It's funny how the coach complains about consistency but the best way to get consistent results is having a system to fall back on when you may not physically or mentally have it on a given night. We rely way too heavily on individual effort and it's the reason why teams like Edmonton and Toronto sputter out come playoff time.

Do teams remember Gretzky in LA vs Edmonton? Sure he was talented enough to carry a mediocre roster to a deep run, but he couldn't finish on his own because LA never had the deep supporting cast

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

I believe the Rangers have the exact amount of points that they had after playing the same amount of games, last season.

If that's accurate, and combined with last year's team being carried by Shesterkin, they're a far better all-around team than last season. Your impressions don't appear to match the reality.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

You mean when Buch's PP time dramatically increased and about half of his 43 points were with the man advantage?

Soft players who dislike contact but are generally skillful perform better when their team has the man advantage and there is less contact... In other news, water is wet.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

Also... Lets not ignore that your iron man Buch only eclipsed 70 regular season games played once in his tenure with the Rangers. He was often injured.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You mean when Buch's PP time dramatically increased and about half of his 43 points were with the man advantage?

Soft players who dislike contact but are generally skillful perform better when their team has the man advantage and there is less contact... In other news, water is wet.
Noted that you ignored Buch putting up points 3 times more often in their first season.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Also... Lets not ignore that your iron man Buch only eclipsed 70 regular season games played once in his tenure with the Rangers. He was often injured.
My iron man?

Just because he was much better than Kravtsov as a rookie does not make him an iron man, but I suppose you had to change the subject, once you had fallen short on your main contention.

Buch was the 74th pick in his draft and not thought of that highly.

Kravtsov was the 9th pick in his draft and thought to be an impact player.

When he catches Boo Nieves in total goals, we can rejoice as to everything he's accomplished in the NHL.

I still hope he becomes a top-6, but so far what he's best known for is being a quitter mentally, and as sturdy as jelly physically.

Reactions: Mandar

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
My iron man?

Just because he was much better than Kravtsov as a rookie does not make him an iron man, but I suppose you had to change the subject, once you had fallen short on your main contention.
What are you even talking about?

I remember Buchnevich. Just because he wan't strong enough doesn't mean he was as fragile as Kravtsov has been.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Well... same coach so...
It was only a couple years ago that Quinn was holding them back, before ............, before..........., before........., before, etc,.

Some say the players suck. Some say all the coaches suck. Some say they both suck.

Your personnel and coach can't suck if you make it to the Semis.

What are you even talking about?

There are dictionaries online.

Reactions: leetch99

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Gerard Gallant would either be in the crease mucking it up with 3 players and or in the corner fighting tooth and nail for a puck.
True that, he was a bad ass. Personally, I refuse to believe that he has "softened" that much. He understands what it takes to play in the NHL, and even though it's NOT even close to being what it was when he played, it's still all about goals/goals against and winning/losing. THAT hasn't changed.
For crying out loud, he negotiated his own contract, so he ain't no dummy either.
He understands you have to have a good rapport with the players, but still wield an iron stick when needed. Now, if Drury or (Sather, some say) has their hands in the coaches pot, then it wouldn't be his fault for some things........am I wrong?
Regardless, I'm not looking to behead this guy, not yet. Let's see what happens the rest of the season, and more importantly the PO's. Again, that's mostly on the players. They, as a group have been majorly underachieving,

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I believe the Rangers have the exact amount of points that they had after playing the same amount of games, last season.

If that's accurate, and combined with last year's team being carried by Shesterkin, they're a far better all-around team than last season. Your impressions don't appear to match the reality.
I do think the team is "pacing themselves" a bit anyway, but with you being correct about points.......AND that Shesty hasn't really "carried us", kind of hints that we ARE somewhat better and a Shesty showing like last year for the remainder of this year, really should bode well. Especially if Drury adds a piece or 2.

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad