• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Straight ahead would be somewhere.

There was a player in front of him. It doesn't actually matter though. The standard isn't so simple as Georgiev not being able to play his whole crease. The player has to be positioned in such a way that prevents the goalie from making the save. I don't believe he was in such a position.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Who? Lee? I guess I have to watch replay again. He looked like he was backing into the crease pretty much under his own volition

Right, but once there he had nowhere to go to get out of the situation. Granted, he didn't try to. But fundamentally, like I mentioned above, none of that matters.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
There was a player in front of him. It doesn't actually matter though. The standard isn't so simple as Georgiev not being able to play his whole crease. The player has to be positioned in such a way that prevents the goalie from making the save. I don't believe he was in such a position.

Made zero attempt to get out of there.

Reactions: bl02

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Right, but once there he had nowhere to go to get out of the situation. Granted, he didn't try to. But fundamentally, like I mentioned above, none of that matters.
Yes it does? He shouldn't have been there to begin with.

It's painted blue for a reason. You are not allowed to be in the crease, if the puck is not there. It's simple and straight forward.

edit- you may not like the rule, thats fine but it's a rule. I dont like the delay of game penalty, it doesn't mean we dont get a penalty if we unintentionally hit a rolling puck over the boards

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
He put him out at the end of the game, pretty much proves you wrong.
No, it really doesn't. Quinn not being alright with lazy offensive zone penalties means that a player should be benched the rest of the game? Maybe Quinn thinks Strome is one of his stronger players in that situation and it gives the team the best chance to win.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
No, it really doesn't. Quinn not being alright with lazy offensive zone penalties means that a player should be benched the rest of the game? Maybe Quinn thinks Strome is one of his stronger players in that situation and it gives the team the best chance to win.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

You just contradicted yourself. He wouldn't have him on the ice if he was concerned about him taking penalties at the end of the game.....there's just no way, you can't spin that one and what you are saying Quinn is feeling contradicts what he did at a key point in the game.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You know what, I take it all back. But it's not because any of the reasons people are laying out here. I don't agree that Georgiev was impaired from defending against that shot by Lee in the way that we usually think about it. However, the Goalie Interference rule contains this gem I wasn't aware of:

"If an attacking player establishes a significant position within the goal crease, so as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed."

It's not about impairing his movement, which is what people seem to think when talking about making an effort to avoid things.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
You know what, I take it all back. But it's not because any of the reasons people are laying out here. I don't agree that Georgiev was impaired from defending against that shot by Lee in the way that we usually think about it. However, the Goalie Interference rule contains this gem I wasn't aware of:

"If an attacking player establishes a significant position within the goal crease, so as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed."

It's not about impairing his movement, which is what people seem to think when talking about making an effort to avoid things.

He was in the crease, interfering with the goalie, like everyone said.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He was in the crease, interfering with the goalie, like everyone said.

The rule explicitly states that simply being in the crease isn't enough of a reason to disallow a goal.

"This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed."

And I doubt people have been saying in this conversation that he was in the crease screening the goalie, so therefore no goal.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The rule explicitly states that simply being in the crease isn't enough of a reason to disallow a goal.

"This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed."

And I doubt people have been saying in this conversation that he was in the crease screening the goalie, so therefore no goal.

Yup, and the only difference in the rule between the NHL and the IIHF is that the refs can blow it dead way in advance in international hockey for the crease violation. The NHL lets the player go there and get back out of it instead. Makes the play more fluid instead of another stoppage.

Reactions: Tawnos

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hell, if Barry Trotz knew the rule about screens from inside the crease, do you think he would've challenged it? Seeing that rule makes that challenge awfully dumb.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If Smith can play like he did last night that top pair could be a real hard one to play against, keep your head up. Smith to me showed why we acquired him in the first place, physical, moved the puck well and made the simple plays. Hopefully this is his rebirth.

Smith always plays much better when he's making simple plays. It's when he gets too comfortable and starts thinking he can Bobby Orr it up that he gets into a lot of trouble.

His best defensive asset is also controlling the neutral zone which can be tough to do for this team that backs off so much

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
And on the Ryan Strome thing, no one wanted this guy, Edmonton traded him for literally nothing. Suddenly he starts producing at a good clip with an MVP candidate and he's some missing piece ?

Chemistry with Panarin aside, he's so bad at everything else. Anyone saying "well maybe he'll take a discount because he's got a good situation here" I mean give me a break

But he is playing with Panarin and they do play well together and he is producing at a 70 point pace. There is no guarantee that you are going to get anybody else to just step in and produce like he has. We are not exactly deep up the middle.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Was looking at the upcoming schedule here at work during my lunch break and way I look at it we’ll pretty much know whether or not we’ll be going dancing in April or left out for the 3rd year in a row within the next 10 days.

And do note I was not someone who thought we had even a smidgen of a shot at the playoffs even a month ago let alone before the season.

I thought the teams trajectory pointed to the playoffs next year and so pretty much anything we do from this point forward is gravy and part of the bonus plan as the Rangers have far exceeded expectations.

Anyways upcoming schedule is pretty daunting if you ask me:

Thursday @ Montreal tho the Habs are struggling, they always give us fits!
The next nite this Friday we are in Philly to play a well rested Flyer squad...that will be an extremely tough spot for us to win

Than beginning this Sunday we start a 4 game home stand vs the Flyers again followed the Blues, Capitals and the Devils.

That my friends is the definition of a tough ass schedule.

We likely need to go no worse than 4-2 and get 8 points during this stretch which would put us at around 80 points with 14 games to go to have a realistic shot at getting in.

If we can do that than I really would like our chances of getting into the playoffs. What’s pretty cool tho is even if we fell short, just the experience alone for our kiddie corps plus even our vets who haven’t been in a playoff race in a few years would be immeasurable experience and will serve the team very well going forward for years to come.

Bottom line....good times indeed here in Rangerland...:nod:

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think wirh how adamant that ref was blowing that goal down I think he was prob yelling at Lee to get out of that crease and he didn’t. Ref was like standing in the slot when he was waiving it off. He was all over it.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Yeah.. as in If your toe is in the crease and you're to the right or left of the goalie... allowing him to make the play..

If you're taking his top real estate so he cant be in position... It's an issue. If you want Georgie to move up and flop around to sell it... that's another option.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My favorite part of the game was the way Ziba drilled that slapper. Hard to describe, but it looks like a player losing it and hammering a puck against the boards after the whistle has blown. Like you don’t care at all where the puck goes but you just want to blow off steam by hitting something hard. Easily my second most favorite play of the decade after Buch’s cross-check on Marchand.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Strome doesn't deserve to smile or give high fives.

He took that stupid penalty while we are on the PP and he din't try AT ALL on the last shift of regulation when the Islanders scored. Strome should be at least temporarily demoted for that.

Lines:
Kreider Zib Kakko
Panarin Chytil Fast
Lemieux Strome DiGi
How Keg Goat

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Maggie Gray said "JJ Paj-a-know" haha

200.gif

Status