Post-Game Talk: RANGERS @ islanders

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
Strome makes some bad plays but he's not dumb. He has a high IQ for the game. Sometimes he tries something he shouldn't, instead of the simple and obvious play.

It happens with Panarin as well. He'll make a dangerous pass that leaves you wondering.

Just as in life in general, you develop and get better by trying something new, pushing your limits, taking risks, instead of playing it safe (but of course, it has to be done in a smart, realistic way).

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I understand the point about a goaltender being restricted, I just don't buy for one second that Georgiev WAS. He skated to the top of the crease and initiated contact on his own, not because he wanted that space but to draw attention to Lee's position. And it paid off for him. So, good on him. I just think it's bullshit, and coming from a guy who played goalie and always gives goalies the benefit of the doubt. JMO, though.
I was a goalie too, and Georgie had every right to claim the space Lee was occupying in the crease. Which forced contact as the shot was taken.

If it was me, I would have slashed the back of his ankles. That always makes them think twice of entering the crease again.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I was a goalie too, and Georgie had every right to claim the space Lee was occupying in the crease. Which forced contact as the shot was taken.

If it was me, I would have slashed the back of his ankles. That always makes them think twice of entering the crease again.
Yeah, and at the end of the day, it was no goal on the ice and no goal after review. So I am objectively WRONG on this one. I just have a different opinion on what really happened and whether there was actually any interference or even incidental contact. But it's JMO, so, who really cares at this point? :laugh:

Reactions: Siddi and ohbaby

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah, and at the end of the day, it was no goal on the ice and no goal after review. So I am objectively WRONG on this one. I just have a different opinion on what really happened and whether there was actually any interference or even incidental contact. But it's JMO, so, who really cares at this point? :laugh:

Just a salty fanbase.

Reactions: nyr2k2

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Georgie was crying all night, with Lee pestering him in front. He needs to be more proactive, like some other goalies in this league that don't take no crap.

Never seen him complain so much.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What a bomb. That shot must have been 110 mph. Could have won the all star skills competition. Man was that a sweet way to end a game. No wonder the crowd erupted like it did.
I thought that had the goalie gotten in front of it, it would have gone right through his body and in anyhow. Goalie might have died. Which would have been a terrible way to end the match. Goalie body parts up in the crowd. Blood everywhere. Horrible.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yes yes I know, and the refs are out to get them also. Butch Goring said so.
That’s always hilarious to read. ‘The refs, the league, they HATE us!’ I get that the officials are terrible. And the nullified goal call was a bit weak. But to attribute it a conspiracy is so... paranoid and kind of childish.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That’s always hilarious to read. ‘The refs, the league, they HATE us!’ I get that the officials are terrible. And the nullified goal call was a bit weak. But to attribute it a conspiracy is so... paranoid and kind of childish.

Its cute that they think they're relevant enough for the league to even notice them.

Reactions: jas

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I thought that had the goalie gotten in front of it, it would have gone right through his body and in anyhow. Goalie might have died. Which would have been a terrible way to end the match. Goalie body parts up in the crowd. Blood everywhere. Horrible.
Too funny. Almost like a bomb going off. LOL

Reactions: egelband

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Question: How did Staal get over there so quick? He came off the bench... he couldn't beat Panarin to the punch but,.. geez. I don't think he has skated that fast in his life. LOL

Reactions: ponzu4u

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Something tells me this game will be remembered a long time.

image.jpg

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
The Zibanejad trade was a fleecing

The strides he's taken since coming into the league is insane. He's putting up Ovechkin type numbers (Ovechkin in a down season granted, but still)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

just take a look to your right at Georgiev’s section in players to watch. Those road numbers are staggering. Frankly he’s been pretty terrible at home. He’s been lights out on the road. This may be a good indicator of how we’ll break up some of these games between hank and Georgie. I think they give hank a home game or 2 but they’ll ride Georgie on the road maybe we get lucky and Shesterkin is back sooner than later

Reactions: kovazub94

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Obstructing the goalie's view is fine, even in the crease. That's the definition of a screen. Kreider spends 2 minutes there each night. You can't prevent the goalie from movie freely about his crease or from making a save, and neither of those things happened. I just don't see it. It was a perfect screen, Georgiev could go wherever he wanted, he just couldn't see.

If it was ruled a good goal on the ice, 100% it would have stood had we challenged it.

I thought the same thing, but it turns out that it isn’t fine to screen from inside the crease. From the rule book:

"If an attacking player establishes a significant position within the goal crease, so as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed."

Id say that what Lee did qualifies as this. I thought the no goal call should’ve been disallowed until I noticed that sentence.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Next time we play the Isles, there should be a joint thread. Blood everywhere, LMAO.

This is a great idea, would be cool.

Would be like the Battle of Lund between Sweden and Denmark in 1676 in which almost 70% of the total number of combatants died, making it the deadliest battle in history according to many historians. It would suck losing a bunch of fellow posters for those that make it, but imagine the stories... "Back in 2020 I posted in the Bloody Thread [it would surely get a nickname], 70% of the posters were permanently banned, 11,000 infringement points were given out, 16 moderators resigned, and the PMs the moderators sent out to warn people alone made the the servers to crash". After a while new posters would find this place, and they would go like wow, look, there is @Inferno, he survived the Bloody Thread, with big eyes. Someone would ask, what is the Bloody Thread? And there would be a wiki page about it for sure.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is a great idea, would be cool.

Would be like the Battle of Lund between Sweden and Denmark in 1676 in which almost 70% of the total number of combatants died, making it the deadliest battle in history according to many historians. It would suck losing a bunch of fellow posters for those that make it, but imagine the stories... "Back in 2020 I posted in the Bloody Thread [it would surely get a nickname], 70% of the posters were permanently banned, 11,000 infringement points were given out, 16 moderators resigned, and the PMs the moderators sent out to warn people alone made the the servers to crash". After a while new posters would find this place, and they would go like wow, look, there is @Inferno, he survived the Bloody Thread, with big eyes. Someone would ask, what is the Bloody Thread? And there would be a wiki page about it for sure.

Your description is epic so I'm down but aren't we done with Isles for this season? Would have to wait until 20-21.

Reactions: Ola

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Obstructing the goalie's view is fine, even in the crease. That's the definition of a screen. Kreider spends 2 minutes there each night. You can't prevent the goalie from movie freely about his crease or from making a save, and neither of those things happened. I just don't see it. It was a perfect screen, Georgiev could go wherever he wanted, he just couldn't see.

If it was ruled a good goal on the ice, 100% it would have stood had we challenged it.
I hear your point.

CK is very conscious to stay out of the crease as most screen setters are these days. It's just not worth the risk. The rules get much more stringent once setting your screen in the blue paint so it's not worth it. Isles were desperate and Lee pushed the envelope, it happens. The contact was minimal but it was definitely there. And the contact implied AG wanted to challenge more and could not. At that point it's over for the skater. I'd be annoyed at the call too in reversed roles but if the NHL is consistent, which they seem to be regarding this, then you take your lumps and move on and be more aware of it. Can't take up space in the crease because the goalie WILL come out to challenge and once they do the onus is on the skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->