Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Islanders - January 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The corsi doesn't say that.

It said that earlier in the season we were winning games we should have been losing. Now we're losing games we should be winning.

I think at the end of the day, our record is right where the stats say it should be. Over time, it works out. It'll be interesting to see which team we get going into February and March once everything has evened out.

So basically what you were saying is that the Rangers record is right where it's supposed to be because corsi has been horrendous at measuring the teams success. Furthermore, if you insist on making the argument that it takes months for things to "even out," then why the **** is corsi analyzed like the zapruder film every single god damn game? Can we just have a monthly readout or something?

Because when analyzing a single game like this one, the reality is the Rangers did play well and then took their typical 4 minute vacation in the form of Hayes being cavalier with the puck (again and again and again) and McIlrath taking a brainless penalty. At the end of the day, that lull lost the Rangers the game. I'm more mad about that than happy about how they generated shots on net.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
And the only thing more ridiculous than the corsi contortions are the contortions of absolving McIlrath from some really stupid decisions because he sat a few games.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
This was a game where the Rangers could have won had they not encountered the same mistakes that have plagued them all season. The carelessness with the puck, lack of discipline and then the PK not coming up clutch, and inability to cover an opposing player wide open in the slot have been recurring themes all year.

It's crazy how bad our PK has been this year and I feel like it's been responsible for some of our losses, very rarely have I felt that way about our PK since the 2004-2005 lockout.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
They played well and the last stretch of ten or so games has been pretty damn good. Luck will change. They dominated the first two periods and Hank did his job.

That being said, Hayes needs to have some accountability and for gods sake get megna off the ****ing power play.

This team can win, but the coach has to get his head out of his ass. Use Yandle. Get Miller on the power play and bench Hayes when he's a bonehead.

I was really bothered where Hayes cost us a goal, but he proceeded to have two absolutely horrendous passes after that which cost us important zone time on the power play and then with the goalie pulled. This kid needs time in the AHL it's a damn shame we can't send him there.

I would love if they tried to flip him for Drouin.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
It's mind blowing how they can dominate 40 minutes, and collapse entirely to start the third. Can't believe I went to Brooklyn for that. LOL

And why do they close half of the stairs getting down to the subway holding up EVERYONE getting down there. Stupid!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This was a game where the Rangers could have won had they not encountered the same mistakes that have plagued them all season. The carelessness with the puck, lack of discipline and then the PK not coming up clutch, and inability to cover an opposing player wide open in the slot have been recurring themes all year.

It's crazy how bad our PK has been this year and I feel like it's been responsible for some of our losses, very rarely have I felt that way about our PK since the 2004-2005 lockout.

The thing is, sometimes the marginals are on your side and sometimes they are not. And if you have followed this game long enough, it is easy to see that the outcome is not random. We have struggled for several months now -- big time -- for various reasons. I think we have corrected several issues, and actually have played a lot better the last weeks. But, its still no coincidence that when Girardi mishandles the puck it doesn't end up infront of Hank so that he can poke-check it away, it ends up on the blade of someone named Alexander Ovechkin 3 feets away from an empty net. When Kevin Hayes -- in desperate need of some confidence -- makes a great play to put us on top, he makes a mistake and the puck is not cleared by Yandle or the subsequent shot is not saved by Hank, its 1-1 instead. When we come back against the Washington, we don't give up a chance last second and walk away with 2 pts, we give up a chance and walk away with 1 pt.

My point is, we didn't loose this game because of Hayes play. Or some penalty. We lost this game and are loosing pts on a regular basis because we made ourselves face adversity, and when you have dug yourself a hole it will take a lot to get out of it. We are in that process now. Sometimes you can come out stronger from it, sometimes -- and not that rarely -- teams don't manage to come out of it. But while you are in that hole, crappy stuff will happen. I've certainly seen it before and are bound to see it again.

What I don't agree with is the micro-analysis of why we are loosing games right now. The reason for it is definitely not the lack of a called time-out, a give away and what not. We have of 30 teams been the 1 team that have done best in this league for a substantial time the last year and a half, we made plenty of give-aways during that stretch too, AV called the time-outs when he wanted during that stretch -- and Tanner Glass also played regularly.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
frustrating game. like the team itself, frustrating.

they played very well early. i liked the start and the jump. entertaining game, back and forth up and down the ice. hank was marvelous but our inability to finish the chances we were creating via hard work and pressure really tells the story of last night, and the entire season.

this
team
has
no
finish

and when they do create chances (which they create far too infrequently) they can't finish. and that is killing this team. but but top 5 in goals scored blah blah blah.... doesnt matter. when they need one, they can't get one.

we scored 1 goal. ONE. UNO. thats it. poor henrik.

chris kreider ? wtf bro.

on the road, you can't win scoring 1 goal. and it was NOT the defense last night, it was our inability to score and thus bail out the 2 boneheads of the night- HAYES and MCILRATH. both those guys were brain dead but instead of having a huge 3rd, scoring a few goals and bailing them out, our inability to score allowed those 2 guys to cost us the game.

the 3rd period was shameful. those guys should be ashamed. needed big goal from someone. got zip.

can't score
can't win
period

and

rick nash. -1 5 sog. zero points. again. A+ for "trying hard" and "being dom moore" and stuff.

#makericknashgoaway

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So basically what you were saying is that the Rangers record is right where it's supposed to be because corsi has been horrendous at measuring the teams success. Furthermore, if you insist on making the argument that it takes months for things to "even out," then why the **** is corsi analyzed like the zapruder film every single god damn game? Can we just have a monthly readout or something?

Because when analyzing a single game like this one, the reality is the Rangers did play well and then took their typical 4 minute vacation in the form of Hayes being cavalier with the puck (again and again and again) and McIlrath taking a brainless penalty. At the end of the day, that lull lost the Rangers the game. I'm more mad about that than happy about how they generated shots on net.

As soon as a game ends win or lose--this guys sucks--that guy sucks. Usually it's the same targets though. Back a couple months when we were playing kind of like **** but were winning some of these people complained about the wins--like maybe we should give them back---now they complain about the losses they think should be wins. No way yet for them to measure a team's confidence/belief in itself which last night turned to self destruct--just a lot of over analysis about mechanics and numbers and lines on charts.

I like Kevin Hayes quite a lot but he has some bad habits---one of his worst tendencies is to try to beat an opponent one on one and going east-west last night along his own blue line which was pretty dumb. Dylan McIlrath played a very solid game but he got sucked into taking a really stupid penalty at a very inopportune time. Those two mistakes pretty much ****ed us over last night despite whatever anyone's Corsi or possession stats. FWIW I expect McIlrath to take dumb penalties now and again---it comes with his style of game and I think we're going to have to live with his occasionally costing us a game. Even so--hopefully these are things that both these players learn from.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Didn't really see the game. Saw the Hayes turnover. Missed the 2nd goal. Felt like every time I looked at the tv in the bar, McIlrath was trying to get Matt Martin to go.... I'm assuming that's essentially what happened on the penalty McI took that led to the Isles game winner?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
frustrating game. like the team itself, frustrating.

they played very well early. i liked the start and the jump. entertaining game, back and forth up and down the ice. hank was marvelous but our inability to finish the chances we were creating via hard work and pressure really tells the story of last night, and the entire season.

this
team
has
no
finish

and when they do create chances (which they create far too infrequently) they can't finish. and that is killing this team. but but top 5 in goals scored blah blah blah.... doesnt matter. when they need one, they can't get one.

we scored 1 goal. ONE. UNO. thats it. poor henrik.

chris kreider ? wtf bro.

on the road, you can't win scoring 1 goal. and it was NOT the defense last night, it was our inability to score and thus bail out the 2 boneheads of the night- HAYES and MCILRATH. both those guys were brain dead but instead of having a huge 3rd, scoring a few goals and bailing them out, our inability to score allowed those 2 guys to cost us the game.

the 3rd period was shameful. those guys should be ashamed. needed big goal from someone. got zip.

can't score
can't win
period

and

rick nash. -1 5 sog. zero points. again. A+ for "trying hard" and "being dom moore" and stuff.

#makericknashgoaway

Nash had a stretch where he scored 6 of his 12 goals in 6 games. The other 6 goals in 35 games include an empty net and a pretty much useless goal against Nashville. Lots of posters here give him B+'s and A's for a mid term grade. Go figure. He's supposed to lead our offense but whenever things get critical he disappears. If this season ends in disappointment he's got to go.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Didn't really see the game. Saw the Hayes turnover. Missed the 2nd goal. Felt like every time I looked at the tv in the bar, McIlrath was trying to get Matt Martin to go.... I'm assuming that's essentially what happened on the penalty McI took that led to the Isles game winner?

Not really. Brock Nelson took a bit of a jab at a puck that Henrik just closed on. McIlrath followed Nelson to the boards and kind of cuffed him in the back of the head. IMO it wasn't anything all that egregious considering the context of the game to that point but the ref decided to give him a penalty anyway.

FWIW with less than two seconds in the second period both he and Martin squared off. Both linesmen immediately jumped in--didn't really give them a chance. I really didn't get that. Both guys looked willing and both guys seemed a bit miffed at the officials about it. Probably would have been better for us if it happened.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Not really. Brock Nelson took a bit of a jab at a puck that Henrik just closed on. McIlrath followed Nelson to the boards and kind of cuffed him in the back of the head. IMO it wasn't anything all that egregious considering the context of the game to that point but the ref decided to give him a penalty anyway.

FWIW with less than two seconds in the second period both he and Martin squared off. Both linesmen immediately jumped in--didn't really give them a chance. I really didn't get that. Both guys looked willing and both guys seemed a bit miffed at the officials about it. Probably would have been better for us if it happened.

It was no different than what Tavares did to Zuccarello after a Hasak save in the first with no penalty. Weak call IMO.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Ah gotchya, thanks.

Something to talk about at the dinner table between Matty Marts and Boomer, I guess. You know Booms believes McIlrath would've done some damage there :)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I feel bad for Lundqvist tonight. Hayes turns it over and makes a crappy attempt to block the shot all while screening him. Then you have a bunch of players simply watching JT go around the net with the puck. The team just finds ways to lose.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I feel bad for Lundqvist tonight. Hayes turns it over and makes a crappy attempt to block the shot all while screening him. Then you have a bunch of players simply watching JT go around the net with the puck. The team just finds ways to lose.

Yeah, judging purely on the highlight on NHL.com, I can't figure out why Klein took so ****ing long to get to the other post to try and block that pass. Him and Staal were guarding Hank's right post, and Klein was late to the left. Too easy for a player like JT there.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And the only thing more ridiculous than the corsi contortions are the contortions of absolving McIlrath from some really stupid decisions because he sat a few games.
Did he really take a brainless penalty? By the letter of the law, maybe. But on the other hand let's remember two things.

1. Had he not done anything, lots of folks around here would be up in arms about how we let another player take whacks at Henke.

2. Those exact plays were completely ignored by the refs for the first two periods. That is the exact same thing that Tavares did to Zuc. Right in front of the refs. No penalty.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Both the move and non-move made no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad