Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Islanders 3/7/13 - What Is This Gaborik You Speak Of?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
They have huge void in net. And Isles fans chanting "Nabby" a la "Henrik" is just pathetic.

What? You dont believe in Kevin Poulin???

Nabakov is on borrowed time, but I thought he was excellent last night. When he breaks down/his performance dips, they are in big trouble with that D.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Martin would be a great fit anywhere in the league. Those types of players are more valuable than their stats suggest. The Rangers are lacking someone like that. I was hoping Haley could provide some of that on the 4th line, he has looked decent. Moves pretty well.

Yeah I just wish at this point that they'd kept Prust, but it would have involved some other moves that I don't think the Rangers were willing to make, nor did they necessarily have the ability to guess how things might turn out if they did make them.

Brian Boyle carries a $1.7 mill cap hit. Prusts cap hit last year was $800k. If they ditched Boyle somehow (who's been downright useless this year) and re-signed Prust at the $2.5 mill he got, they'd break even and have a MUCH more useful player. A lineup like:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Gaborik-Richards-Callahan
Prust-Miller-Pyatt
Power-Halpern-Asham/Haley/whoever

I'd take that in a second over what the lineup looks like with Boyle.

But like I said, that would take some maneuvering and guesswork and knowledge that Miller would be effective at this level.

I'm pretty sure Boyle is playing his way off this team and wouldn't be surprised to see him traded. He's taking up too much cap space for his contributions at this point

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah I just wish at this point that they'd kept Prust, but it would have involved some other moves that I don't think the Rangers were willing to make, nor did they necessarily have the ability to guess how things might turn out if they did make them.

Brian Boyle carries a $1.7 mill cap hit. Prusts cap hit last year was $800k. If they ditched Boyle somehow (who's been downright useless this year) and re-signed Prust at the $2.5 mill he got, they'd break even and have a MUCH more useful player. A lineup like:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Gaborik-Richards-Callahan
Prust-Miller-Pyatt
Power-Halpern-Asham/Haley/whoever

I'd take that in a second over what the lineup looks like with Boyle.

But like I said, that would take some maneuvering and guesswork and knowledge that Miller would be effective at this level.

I'm pretty sure Boyle is playing his way off this team and wouldn't be surprised to see him traded. He's taking up too much cap space for his contributions at this point

Totally agree. Don't forget Rupp either who made 1.5 million.

I really think the Rangers are scouring the league to find his replacement. The Mashinter trade and now the Haley call-up, plus the trade of Rupp for a PKer like Powe signals to me that they are missing him more than they thought they would.

Boyle should be shipped off for what they can get. Miller has easily outplayed him this season. Halpern should be re-signed for another year. He has been outstanding in his role.

16 To Stanley*

Love how the islanders are complaining about the refs. Apparently Okposo got a game misconduct as did the assistant coach. I mean Grabner's penalty was clear as day.

And for all the isles fans who rip our coach, Capuano is such a big baby. don't whine about it in your press conference.. Other than the first there team was outplayed the whole game. The third period was all rangers.

Vickers8

Good thing Gaborik got the winner, he was TERRIBLE during the rest of the game. Hopefully the goal will get him going, we need him to produce

Hopefully this will jump start him, but it's hard to watch him lose almost every battle in the corners

Vickers8

Totally agree. Don't forget Rupp either who made 1.5 million.

I really think the Rangers are scouring the league to find his replacement. The Mashinter trade and now the Haley call-up, plus the trade of Rupp for a PKer like Powe signals to me that they are missing him more than they thought they would.

Boyle should be shipped off for what they can get. Miller has easily outplayed him this season. Halpern should be re-signed for another year. He has been outstanding in his role.

Halp has done a good job, especially on the PK, love his tenacity and speed, good on faceoffs too

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Good thing Gaborik got the winner, he was TERRIBLE during the rest of the game. Hopefully the goal will get him going, we need him to produce

He was.

And Im not so sure how a 4 on 3 PP goal (a situation that almost never happens in regulation) is going to "get him going"

Bardof425*

He was.

And Im not so sure how a 4 on 3 PP goal (a situation that almost never happens in regulation) is going to "get him going"

I thought the line of Gabby, Miller and Cally created alot of chances; Nabokov stoned them. Gabby was good and then in OT he was special. Our PP has been much better lately largely because Gabby is on the point and making some very smart passes. Plus he creates space because the opposition doesn't want him to shoot. When he shoots, often enough goals happen. Hopefully this gets him into a good streak.

Bardof425*

Where is the McD love? John Tavares had very few chances last night. Mac and Danny are mostly responsible. Mac's ability to skate out of trouble and make a smart, on the tape outlet pass is totally underrated here. He's a beast and I think we are starting to take him for granted. If you would have told me before the game that JT would be scoreless I would have laughed.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Someone Photoshop a guitar with this ;)

Cally's gonna have to play Hendrix style. His hands are upside down otherwise. Also had to draw in some ghetto fingers on his hand since there was a helmet in the way
callyjump_zpsded555fc.jpg

Vickers8

Where is the McD love? John Tavares had very few chances last night. Mac and Danny are mostly responsible. Mac's ability to skate out of trouble and make a smart, on the tape outlet pass is totally underrated here. He's a beast and I think we are starting to take him for granted. If you would have told me before the game that JT would be scoreless I would have laughed.

You're right they are both so good we take them for granted both played outstanding

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
What a classic pic, made even better with that photoshop.

Seriously, thats a really great shot with Gabby in full swing and the one Rangers fan in the back who's calling the goal before it goes in. Awesome.

Did anyone else think of Graves when they saw Cally leap like that? I remember Gravy doing that all the time back in the day. He lived there.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever seen Nash take a slap shot. If he did I don't remember it.

Not really part of his game, nor is it typically part of Gaborik's either. Supposed to be Richards department.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
What a classic pic, made even better with that photoshop.

Seriously, thats a really great shot with Gabby in full swing and the one Rangers fan in the back who's calling the goal before it goes in. Awesome.

Did anyone else think of Graves when they saw Cally leap like that? I remember Gravy doing that all the time back in the day. He lived there.

Yep, I mentioned it in the GDT. Reminded me so much of Graves especially in 94 before he started getting back issues.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
What? This isn't true at all. Bickel and Finley were about to fight. They would have cancelled eachother out. Stop hating on Bickel for no apparent reason. He was fine last night.

Finley dropped his glove first (as in just one glove). They did comment if Finley dropped it or threw it but to me, it looked like he wanted to go.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
He was.

When you are a goal scorer who hasn't scored in ages, scoring a goal is a big confidence builder. And he did have several excellent shots on goal in the previous game. So he's trending in the right direction, although I'd still like to see a bit more from him in general.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Agreed. Other than the odd man rushes we kept giving up, Tavaras was invisible... and this is the exact reason why Gaborik is on the same team as Nash, and Callahan... Last year, we ONLY had gaborik, but it was so easy to shut him down, and then what? No scoring. Finally, we have someone else who can drive the net a create chances..

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
When you are a goal scorer who hasn't scored in ages, scoring a goal is a big confidence builder. And he did have several excellent shots on goal in the previous game. So he's trending in the right direction, although I'd still like to see a bit more from him in general.

Again, just like Richards... We are talking about someone at the end of his prime, in a shortened season, with no training camp, and a physically weak frame due to a lockout creating lack of strength in the body...

They are both in slumps, and they will both get over them. Right now, we aren't seeing it, but we've won the last 4... you can't say we're a terrible team any more (although we could be much better). I'm interested to see how they play as a team tonight play tonight. Ottawa seems to be a tough team for the Rangers to beat.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013

Totally Agree :nod: What Girardi and MCD do night in and night out is awesome. Without either one we are toast night in night out. Thats why I thought the possible end of our season was Feb 23rd against Montreal when both guys went down with injuries. Lets hope we get back a healthy Staal soon and our defense isn't looking too bad :yo:

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever seen Nash take a slap shot. If he did I don't remember it.

Not really part of his game, nor is it typically part of Gaborik's either. Supposed to be Richards department.

I think he did in the 2nd period when Miller dove to tip the puck to him and he hit the outside of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad