Friedman: Rangers interested in Victor Olofsson

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't think Eichel to the Rangers was ever all that serious. They already had a quality 1C in Zibanejad and all they had to do was re-sign him. That said I don't recall seeing that the Rangers had Schneider off the table in an Eichel deal. If so, I'd say that only reinforces that the Rangers really weren't all that serious of a bidder. Obviously Schneider for Olofsson isn't happening. Schneider is good and young, dirt cheap and the Rangers are looking at a serious cap crunch coming up. The Rangers aren't going to be the high bidder on a player they can't even afford next season.

He wasn’t on the table. It was reported by Dreger, Seravalli, Friedman and Brooks that Adams asking price for Eichel from the Rangers was Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist and Schneider and Drury said no. Brooks then reported that they wanted absolutely no part in moving Schneider.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Yes he has completely sucked to a .8ppg, a .58ppg as 2nd leading scorer and this year a .55ppg when his injury kept him from shooting for weeks

Have you honestly watched him play? He played on a first line with Eichel & Reinhart and still struggled 5v5. Really shouldn't have been on the first line over Skinner either. He had the luxury of playing with a top 10 center, which inflated his production. Just like when Sheary put up 53 points in 61 games playing on a line with Crosby.

His only real value was as a PP setup guy, but that was only when we had Eichel on the powerplay. He has 3!!! powerplay goals in 80 games with no Jack. That's including 30+ games pre hand injury. Like how can you sit there and think that's good? Tage has replaced him and has been way better. I'd rather have Quinn on the PP over Olofsson too.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Have you honestly watched him play? He played on a first line with Eichel & Reinhart and still struggled 5v5. Really shouldn't have been on the first line over Skinner either. He had the luxury of playing with a top 10 center, which inflated his production. Just like when Sheary put up 53 points in 61 games playing on a line with Crosby.

His only real value was as a PP setup guy, but that was only when we had Eichel on the powerplay. He has 3!!! powerplay goals in 80 games with no Jack. That's including 30+ games pre hand injury. Like how can you sit there and think that's good? Tage has replaced him and has been way better. I'd rather have Quinn on the PP over Olofsson too.
If you watched then you'd know Thompson didn't replace him, Thompson took the Eichel slot as he's a RHS. Olofsson has moved to PP2 and is being used as a distributor because of his core injury impacting his shot. Krebs is now on the right side half wall (Olofsson's old spot) so he can feed Thompson.

He was so successful with Eichel on the PP because the opposition couldn't cheat as Eichel would burn them. After Eichel the opposition played a triangle +1 to eliminate VO shot as there was no other real threat.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
If you watched then you'd know Thompson didn't replace him, Thompson took the Eichel slot as he's a RHS. Olofsson has moved to PP2 and is being used as a distributor because of his core injury impacting his shot. Krebs is now on the right side half wall (Olofsson's old spot) so he can feed Thompson.

He was so successful with Eichel on the PP because the opposition couldn't cheat as Eichel would burn them. After Eichel the opposition played a triangle +1 to eliminate VO shot as there was no other real threat.

I'm talking about their role on the powerplay not where the play because of their handedness. Tage did replace his role on the PP. He's now the setup guy. He's been way better than Olofsson. Krebs took the Eichel role.

That's the thing. He needed a top 10 player to be successful on the powerplay. Without a top 10 player he's lost his value on the PP. Like Tage & Quinn can do the exact same thing.

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Yes let's focus on a 8 game hot start and ignore the other 156 games he's played. Idk what it is with some Sabres fans and falling in love with meh players.

Our board has some regulars who firmly believe that Victor is going to be our Patrick Sharp and that we're a season away from competing.

Dude is too streaky to put a premium on. We'd benefit from something to prevent us from overpaying him at this point.

Us Sabres fans are like a neglected spouse in a lot of ways. It's crazy the things some of us will say to defend a middling player.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

The fact that he can be eliminated that easily is the real concerning part...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It is true. It was reported by several different sources, including Friedman, Dreger, Seravalli and Brooks.

The point still stands, they’re not moving him for Olofsson if they wouldn’t move him for Eichel. No amount of mental gymnastics is going to change that.

I'm pretty sure it was just Friedman and then a bunch of piggybackers. And, according to Friedman, Eichel will be a Ranger any day now..for Chytil and 2 slightly used sticks of chewing gum. Which is my way of saying I don't think this guy knows his ass from his mouth.

Reactions: Zman5778 and Fatass

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Olofsson seems like a good buy low candidate. Low cost, decent upside. Which means the Sabres should just keep him.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm pretty sure it was just Friedman and then a bunch of piggybackers. And, according to Friedman, Eichel will be a Ranger any day now..for Chytil and 2 slightly used sticks of chewing gum. Which is my way of saying I don't think this guy knows his ass from his mouth.

You can say whatever the hell you want, Schneider isn’t going anywhere, especially for Olofsson and when they wouldn’t move him for Eichel.

Argue it until you’re blue in the face for all I care, it’s not happening.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You can say whatever the hell you want, Schneider isn’t going anywhere, especially for Olofsson and when they wouldn’t move him for Eichel.

Argue it until you’re blue in the face for all I care, it’s not happening.

Did you mean to reply to someone else? Because absolutely nothing I said has anything to do with Schneider.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
He wasn’t on the table. It was reported by Dreger, Seravalli, Friedman and Brooks that Adams asking price for Eichel from the Rangers was Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist and Schneider and Drury said no. Brooks then reported that they wanted absolutely no part in moving Schneider.
I looked back and saw Friedman had reported that Buffalo wanted the likes of Lundkvist or Schneider and the Rangers didn't want to go there. I never recalled hearing that so kudos to you for remembering. I was admitedly trying to ignore Friedman throughout most of the Eichel trade drama as some of his "insider info" was pretty cringeworthy as Tsujimoto hinted at.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Olofsson's production solely on the PP would scare me considering that's not where the Rangers need help.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Olofsson's production solely on the PP would scare me considering that's not where the Rangers need help.

Strangely enough, his ES production has been there this year but the PP has not (he's not in the RW one-timer position he used to occupy). Even playing on an also-ran like Buffalo, he's got more ES points than all of the Ranger forwards but Panarin, Zibanejad, Strome, and Kreider.

Reactions: Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad