Speculation: Rangers Head Coach Search (Laviolette being finalized? According to Vince and Friedman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Look... I don't care if he's a good coach. I know that sounds insane, but hear me out.

He just isn't the right coach.

This team desperately needs a systems coach. This team needs structure. This team needs accountability. This team needs to become a team.

Laviolette isn't that.

This team needs a Tortorella, a Babcock, not a Laviolette.

This is my issue.
Who says he doesn't have that? I don't think he's a let your veterans coach the team kind of guy also.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Hes taken 3 separate teams to cups and has been a winner his whole coaching career. Im fine with this hire. We couldve hired bowman in his prime and 90% of the keyboard warriors wouldve complained

He has a better track record is a much better coach than Hynes. Im glad it was not him. I like this hire. My top 3 were Laviolette Roy Knoblock once Brunette was off the table.

My concern has Laviolette coached finesse heavy teams?? Laviolette usually coached heavy physical teams. Can the Rangers roster adjust or will Drury go out and try to get Laviolette type of players that would fit with his style of hockey?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
He has a better track record is a much better coach than Hynes. Im glad it was not him. I like this hire. My top 3 were Laviolette Roy Knoblock once Brunette was off the table.

My concern has Laviolette coached finesse heavy teams?? Laviolette usually coached heavy physical teams. Can the Rangers roster adjust or will Drury go out and try to get Laviolette type of players that would fit with his style of hockey?
The roster, as is, right now, certainly has the capability to play a heavy game. Kreider, Kakko, Lafreniere, Trochek, Chytil, Vesey, Goodrow, and Othmann and Cuylle if they make it all can play a heavy, cycle and forecheck heavy game. Did Gallant literally coach it out of them not to play that way? We'll see.

bleeding blue

Jun 25, 2018
new jersey
No one thinks Paul Maurice is anywhere close to a solid coach if Bobrovsky doesn’t go nuclear the last few weeks, come on now lmao

And you’re getting hung up on the firing thing which is irrelevant. Obviously every coach gets fired at some point.

The Rangers fired Gallant to hire his American clone who’s living off a cup from 2 decades ago. Laviolette isn’t going to fix this teams issues
I don’t get this logic, the accomplishment of getting to the finals as a coach is negated by having a hot goalie? So to be a good coach you need average goaltending?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Why would anyone think this is an improvement on Gallant? I don't think that's the case at all. Time will prove it.

We shouldn't have fired him if Lavi was the result.
Yep. When I saw they’re choosing between hynes and laviolette I wanted gallant back.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This is our punishment for complaining about Gallant.

One has a better track record as one of the best American coaches, the other does not last with an origination for more than 3 years, this is an upgrade based on that alone. Lets see if it happens on the ice with the group we will have in September

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The roster, as is, right now, certainly has the capability to play a heavy game. Kreider, Kakko, Lafreniere, Trochek, Chytil, Vesey, Goodrow, and Othmann and Cuylle if they make it all can play a heavy, cycle and forecheck heavy game. Did Gallant literally coach it out of them not to play that way? We'll see.
No...he was stressing north south since he got here, same as Quinn, the roster doesn't wanna play that way because they are big high paid stars living in NY.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
It’s funny because that doesn’t exactly send a great message to the guy they eventually do hire.

“Hey Peter I know we interviewed you a month ago but can you just wait another week for our answer? We want to see if a better option becomes available.”
This reminds of my younger days telling a girl I’d get with them only if I couldn’t get with their friend.

Reactions: Stugots

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Finals game tomorrow so no announcement until Wednesday at the earliest

So why were the other teams allowed to announce their coach? This really makes no sense, why big market team? Awful reasoning why they’d delay the announcement. Not like a cap reason.

Reactions: LOFIN

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Have we not been winning the last 2 years?
Not to the level we’d like.

How many veteran coaches haven't been fired? How many times has Florida head coach Paul Maurice been fired? Come to think of it Lav replaced Maurice as Carolina coach and won the cup.

Yeah but that’s kinda the point. The veteran coaches are just a firing carousel.

Lav was a fresh up and comer at age 42 when he won. Maybe there’s a lesson there?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
There are different kinds of winning. Getting to enjoy absurdity is one sort.
Just a year ago most people were pretty damn happy with Drury’s work when we got thisclose to the SCF… now he’s never made a good move and never will and has done an awful job filling the coaching position when we do not even know who it is yet….
This place is capricious to the max and given to wild extremes. My choices here are to abandon ship, abandon logic and reason, or just enjoy the crazy. Guess which way I’m going?
BTW, did you even consider that Drury being here for ten years will pretty much only happen if we are winning? Why did you assume I was hoping otherwise? Hahaha.
I’ve never been happy with Drury’s work.

Did you ever consider I was teasing you? You are mocking the people who are flipping out by saying you hope he’s here ten years. I’m mocking that idea by suggesting that even if he’s here ten years it won’t result in a Cup, so you’re just signing up for ten years of failure.

Impossible situation
Of our own making

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

It wasn't coached out of them.

For the most part, it's not in their wheel house to play that way consistently. Which is why when they DO play that way its in spurts.

I'm not sure that aspect is a coachable trait.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I wasn't comfortable with Knoblauch. Not saying he's a bad coach but last year was the first time he took Hartford into the playoffs in 4/5 years and it took a big surge at the end just to squeak in. That said in 21-22 he kind of got f***ed with injuries and call ups. The decision to play Domingue in that last game against Hershey after Garand had played so well and Domingue hadn't played in at least a month was mystifying......it's a desperate throw whatever shit you can against the wall and it didn't work. I'd point out also that Garand was Hartford's best player in the Calder Cup playoffs and sitting your best player in a do or die game is dumb.

On Q---not satisfied that he's ever had a very good explanation for the Kyle Beech affair. At best he kept his silence meanwhile Beech's life turned into a train wreck. There was a lead up to where all the Blackhawks actors from Bowman to Quenneville could have come clean.....the story was going to come out and they still all tried to hide. The NHL really did no better---Bettman and the people in the league offices worked hard to squash it too. There are no good people here. All the main actors have done very well for themselves in their lives......one gets the sense that Beech coming forward was a major annoyance for them to have to deal with. They're not victims in any way, shape or form though. The Rangers are not punishing Q if they don't hire him.

For the rest.....unless we were going with a first timer (and the last one of those was the much maligned Quinn) it was going to be someone that's been around and I'd guess you could say kind of uninspiring. I think Drury would have liked to talked to Keefe. I think the Maple Leafs probably will dump him as soon as the Rangers make their announcement. I liked the idea of Jay Leach but Drury didn't want to risk his job on a first timer apparently. Not surprising when you think about it. Laviolette has a track record anyway. Did not want Hynes.....though Hynes was an outstanding AHL coach (see Knoblauch once again).

HANK30

Why not us?
Hes taken 3 separate teams to cups and has been a winner his whole coaching career. Im fine with this hire. We couldve hired bowman in his prime and 90% of the keyboard warriors wouldve complained

Plus there is ample evidence of coaches who struggle to win cups who eventually get one. We are about to see either Cassidy or Maurice win a cup after being fired by other teams. IMO hockey is more of a players' game than the NFL, where coaching really matters more. Besides, I don't think Lavy's failure in Washington has to do with him as it does their aging roster. The key is we need to be patient with him and not pull the plug when one season goes badly.

Not to the level we’d like.

Yeah but that’s kinda the point. The veteran coaches are just a firing carousel.

Lav was a fresh up and comer at age 42 when he won. Maybe there’s a lesson there?

I don't think age matters. Trotz, Sutter, Burns, and Cooper were in their 50s when they won.

Last edited:

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I’ve never been happy with Drury’s work.

Did you ever consider I was teasing you? You are mocking the people who are flipping out by saying you hope he’s here ten years. I’m mocking that idea by suggesting that even if he’s here ten years it won’t result in a Cup, so you’re just signing up for ten years of failure.

Of our own making
I wasn’t saying YOU were happy, just the board in general was fairly satisfied.

I did consider that you were teasing me. That’s why I ”liked” your post and was teasing you back. It’s all good, bud. Sometimes all of that doesn’t translate in text, but yeah I figured you were busting my balls. Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad