Speculation: Rangers Head Coach Search (Laviolette being finalized? According to Vince and Friedman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The thing that really stands out in all of this for me is this: This group is on their 2nd coach in almost as many years. They've shown that they're more than willing to bet their own job security against that of their coach. So Drury's answer to that is to go with the guy that apparently wasn't even their 2nd choice?

Nothing says "hold you accountable" by sending a guy into the room that you didn't even want yourself. At least Roy has some cachet.

Better be making some serious personnel changes this summer or we're going to see a lot more of the same.

bleeding blue

Jun 25, 2018
new jersey
The thing that really stands out in all of this for me is this: This group is on their 2nd coach in almost as many years. They've shown that they're more than willing to bet their own job security against that of their coach. So Drury's answer to that is to go with the guy that apparently wasn't even their 2nd choice?

Nothing says "hold you accountable" by sending a guy into the room that you didn't even want yourself. At least Roy has some cachet.

Better be making some serious personnel changes this summer or we're going to see a lot more of the same.
I mean sounds like he was the lead candidate from the start? Not a huge fan of the job drury has done so far….but not sure their is evidence of his choice list outside of speculation….

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I feel like the outrage went from Gallant having no systems to whatever it is now. It's not as if the options are great out there. High risk high reward options are just that. It's a gamble and most of the high risk non-retreads take time to become successful in the league.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
How many veteran coaches haven't been fired? How many times has Florida head coach Paul Maurice been fired? Come to think of it Lav replaced Maurice as Carolina coach and won the cup.
The Paul Maurice who’s currently being blown out by Vegas and out coached by Cassidy?

I have no idea nor do I care tbh

Paul Maurice is probably fired if Pittsburgh wins their game against Chicago the last game of the season

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
How many veteran coaches haven't been fired? How many times has Florida head coach Paul Maurice been fired? Come to think of it Lav replaced Maurice as Carolina coach and won the cup.
Look... I don't care if he's a good coach. I know that sounds insane, but hear me out.

He just isn't the right coach.

This team desperately needs a systems coach. This team needs structure. This team needs accountability. This team needs to become a team.

Laviolette isn't that.

This team needs a Tortorella, a Babcock, not a Laviolette.

This is my issue.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Paul Maurice who’s currently being blown out by Vegas and out coached by Cassidy?

Paul Maurice is probably fired if Pittsburgh wins their game against Chicago the last game of the season
So losing in the cup finals makes someone a bad coach now? Interesting standard for the 31 coaches that do not win.
By the way Cassidy was fired multiple times as well.

Look... I don't care if he's a good coach. I know that sounds insane, but hear me out.

He just isn't the right coach.

This team desperately needs a systems coach. This team needs structure. This team needs accountability. This team needs to become a team.

Laviolette isn't that.

This team needs a Tortorella, a Babcock, not a Laviolette.

This is my issue.
Flyer fans would love to give us Torts. Can you tell me the specific differences in Torts systems vs Lavs systems?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Agreed. AV took us to a cup final in his first year. Anyone want him back?

Every coach has strengths and weaknesses, which may or may not coincide with the strengths and weaknesses of the players. It's really hard to build a team when there is no consistent vision for how the team should play. We can't even get different lines to play the same way.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So losing in the cup finals makes someone a bad coach now? Interesting standard for the 31 coaches that do not win.
By the way Cassidy was fired multiple times as well.
No one thinks Paul Maurice is anywhere close to a solid coach if Bobrovsky doesn’t go nuclear the last few weeks, come on now lmao

And you’re getting hung up on the firing thing which is irrelevant. Obviously every coach gets fired at some point.

The Rangers fired Gallant to hire his American clone who’s living off a cup from 2 decades ago. Laviolette isn’t going to fix this teams issues

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
It’s genuinely hilarious that Drury is hiring the guy that got fired in Washington for the same exact reasons that Gallant was fired here
thing is, Washington has been in an organizational decline since the cup win. As expected. Laviolette certainly wasn't going to save them nor was any other coach imo. They won their cup. They were always going to be a one & done group.

I'm huffing the hopium now but I expect Lavi to feel more refreshed here going into NY than when he was signed by WSH. I still think the only thing that will fix some of our bigger issues is a slight roster shakeup, whether Drury is planning to do that this summer is still up in the air.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
No one thinks Paul Maurice is anywhere close to a solid coach if Bobrovsky doesn’t go nuclear the last few weeks, come on now lmao

And you’re getting hung up on the firing thing which is irrelevant. Obviously every coach gets fired at some point.

The Rangers fired Gallant to hire his American clone who’s living off a cup from 2 decades ago. Laviolette isn’t going to fix this teams issues
Why don't you just give whoever we hire a chance? If it doesn't work out you can say how right you were then.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Say what you want about Paul Maurice but he really came together in the post season and battle planned for a long run (Bobrovsky inexplicably put up a .999 save %) but unfortunately seems to have lost his way in the Final (Bobrovsky back to playing like Bobrovsky).

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
The Rangers can write the book on how to sabotage your rebuild.

Good luck to the young guys getting the teaching they need.
This franchise is run by idiots who believe their own bleep and people who have the attention span of gnats. No wonder they have only 1 Stanley Cup win in going on 84 years. They have no clue on how to develop high end forwards/putting them into positions where they can succeed. Can't hire a coach who can get the most out of the talent that's here.

During the Henrik Lundqvist years, they had grit, worked hard, couldn't score enough in big spots. With Shesterkin, they have the goalie, talented forwards but only play when they want to and then only play how they want to.
Hate to finally admit it but Drury has NO idea what he's doing
Drury is trying to save his own you know what, especially if this hire goes badly. Self-preservation. Have an impatient owner who'll likely fire him if the Laviolette hire flames out.

Makes you pine for the Craig Patrick as GM era.

HANK30

Why not us?
thing is, Washington has been in an organizational decline since the cup win. As expected. Laviolette certainly wasn't going to save them nor was any other coach imo. They won their cup. They were always going to be a one & done group.

I'm huffing the hopium now but I expect Lavi to feel more refreshed here going into NY than when he was signed by WSH. I still think the only thing that will fix some of our bigger issues is a slight roster shakeup, whether Drury is planning to do that this summer is still up in the air.

Washington has an aging roster. Besides Ovechkin they have no one.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This will be great for the young players.

He has had some good young players on the Hurricanes Flyers Islanders and Predators, all 24 years and younger that had successful season and or were NHL regulars when he coached Filip Forsberg, Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Josi, Mark Parrish, Eric Staal, Justin Williams, Joni Piktaken Andrew Ladd, JVR, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Carcillo, Bobovsky, Sean Courtier, Brayden Schenn, Voracek, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Laughton, Brayden Coburn, Seth Jones, Viktor Arvidsson, Ryan Ellis, Kevin Fiala, Colton Siccsons, Ryan Johansen, Austin Watson, Mathias Ekholm, Dante Fabro, Yanni Trenin, Martin Feherheby,

Reactions: bleeding blue

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Why? Don’t you want to win?
There are different kinds of winning. Getting to enjoy absurdity is one sort.
Just a year ago most people were pretty damn happy with Drury’s work when we got thisclose to the SCF… now he’s never made a good move and never will and has done an awful job filling the coaching position when we do not even know who it is yet….
This place is capricious to the max and given to wild extremes. My choices here are to abandon ship, abandon logic and reason, or just enjoy the crazy. Guess which way I’m going?
BTW, did you even consider that Drury being here for ten years will pretty much only happen if we are winning? Why did you assume I was hoping otherwise? Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad