Speculation: Rangers Head Coach Search (Laviolette being finalized? According to Vince and Friedman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Is Lavi bringing assistants? Is Jay Leach confirmed to be getting an HC job?

The only way I will be ok with this would be if we also bring in one of these young gun, modern coaches to really push Xs and Os next to Lavi’s personality.

Reactions: Kravtsov420

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK, popular opinion around here was that the Gallant, Quinn, and Vigneault hires were varying degrees of good, so maybe one that most people hate will end up being the right move. I mean people were even generally thrilled to have Torts come on with his Safe Is Death mentality (LOL) after Mr. Nice Guy Tom Renney was dumped. I'm not exactly excited by the move but who knows.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Wonder what this means for roster composition, I could see an unexpected trade incoming to get the roster to fit Lavi’s style a bit more.

I am cautiously optimistic, Lavi is essentially a more vocal Gallant which may be helpful to this roster given the mention of players asking for guidance and help in the exit meetings. The biggest test for me will be how he treats the kids and what kind of results we see from them.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Not happy. If you're retreading, Sutter checked the boxes for every one of our weaknesses.

Not worried about KK in this situation. KK has just become a very solid 2 way player that Lavy will lean on.

LaF, and to more of an extent, BO are going to get lost the next few years with this guy.

Reactions: egelband

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I'm hoping this is some 300iq Littlefinger type of disinformation. You tell 10 people 10 different head coaches are coming and you find the leaker....

all excitement for the season is gone if it's true...
You get extra points for the Game of Thrones reference.

And I'm with you, I hope so. I try finding the positive spin on it, but I can't buy it.

Reactions: CLW and duhmetreE

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
IDK, popular opinion around here was that the Gallant, Quinn, and Vigneault hires were varying degrees of good, so maybe one that most people hate will end up being the right move. I mean people were even generally thrilled to have Torts come on with his Safe Is Death mentality (LOL) after Mr. Nice Guy Tom Renney was dumped. I'm not exactly excited by the move but who knows.
Renney is still my favorite Rangers coach since I became a fan in the early 90s. That's not a popular opinion, most likely, and maybe because the 05-06 season was one of my favorite times of my life... so maybe its personal... but I liked the job Renney, Pelino, Pearn, and Allaire did.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Not surprised. I'm more interested in the roster construction than who the coach is TBH. Seems like a very safe hire by Drury.

What roster construction 6 players have NMC and the ones that don’t other than the kids no one wants. Lets hope Laviolette and Panarin clash and Panarin wants out. I still have hopes for that is why Laviolette is here if hired this week

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Had all this typed up, hope no one is upset I post it here instead.

I don't mean to reign on the parade, I wanted to read what the fans thoughts were on a possible hire, but this is literally what the Capitals needed over the last 2 or 3 years and he refused to do it.

He ran Vrana out off the team, shoved Connor McMichael back too AHL when he's been beyond that development point for 2 years now, and basically force fed awful guys like Eller and Irwin minutes they didn't deserve. He broke Anthony Mantha who, believe it or not, was one of the best underlying numbers (and eye test) to start the season. He refused to play Alexander Alexeyev, who ended the season as showing he should have been playing msot of the year, on defense until he was literally forced to via injury.

Literally the only guy who seemed to get a free pass was Kuznetsov, and he was one of the worst players on our team. Lavi has a dog house, and it must always be filled. I would be terrified that one of Lafreniere or Kakko will fill it for him.

Focused is predominantly on the defensive zone. Relies on man to man defending, which will probably be better for you all then it was for some of the dinosaurs we had on our team. Puts a lot expectation on the forwards coming back to help out, be defensively responsible, and basically all designed around getting someone on the stretch pass up the sidewall to get on the offense. I wasn't a huge fan, but it was also probably a that I had the Trotz style defense on my mind and Lavi's defense never felt as smooth and safe as that.

Offensively I feel like the game might have passed him by. I was excited for his hire because he was known as the guy who could bleed a rock for production, but we just never got that production. The offensive side of things felt like it lacked creativity and any real sense of purpose beside try to get it in deep and forecheck. The only saving grace is he wasn't really a dump and chase guy, but their neutral zone play was atrocious so it might have been better.

I have no idea on the special teams play. For our power play we had a teacher's pet who's been there for like a decade running it so I wouldn't call it his bag. The PK was outstanding at times, and they were on it often, but we kept the guy who was supposedly in charge of that so I have no idea how he'd deploy it with you all.

I think all and all you're going to win a lot of games, I hope he doesn't wear Igor out, but I don't know if he's the guy that puts you over the edge. I really thought he'd be better suited to a spot like Toronto.
I appreciate the run down. Sounds like the exact opposite of what this team needs to do. Had 'nam like flashbacks reading about the man to man defensive system. Barf.

Not optimistic about the next 2 or 3 years at all.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So I guess this means the kids arent playing much next season again and Panarin will continue to get almost the full 2 minutes on the PP. Hooray.
pure apathy. Who cares at this point?! We've been saying it for almost 2/3 years now and it won't happen next year as well. Panarin will get the big minutes and pretty much all of the pp time then Laf/Kakko get to play 15 seconds with Trouba. Honestly don't care anymore. Whatever happens happens.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'd have preferred Sullivan but no guarantees that's an option.

Laviolette's not the worst option out there. Given how poorly our board has reacted, it might even be a good thing. This board has abysmal record of getting things right, Gallant being the most recent example. They wanted Gallant. They turned on him in less than 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad