Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers: Prince Cam

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
That's not actually true, is it?

I feel like there has to have been some worse start to a season, like during the 1950-1971 era when the Rangers were the bad joke of the Original Six.

I mean, you have to think that new dubious distinctions would be hard to set when you go almost 50 years between division titles...
It was said on the radio last night. I didn't look it up tho.

Bardof425*

Agreed, and, you in particular will like this, I thought Mashinter had a decent game as well. :laugh:

Mash/Moore/Dorsett is a nice, gritty line that can provide energy and they had a good game.

I agree. The problem with this is that now Boyle and Pyatt are not on the 4th line. Those two sloths cannot be used in any PP situations or for more than 7-8 minutes ES. If they are we will continue to have little scoring and no balance whatsoever offensively. We are very easy to match up against and defend because we don't have the talent to take advantage of anyone's bottom two defenseman. Our 3rd and 4th lines are both 4th lines and will not score except on an odd lucky bounce.

AV puts Boyle on the PP and he has a prime chance to tie the game. He flubs the shot, it trickles off Mason's skate and Miller kicks it it. Once on Boyle's stick, Mason should have been challenged to make a strong save. Instead weakness prevailed and no goal ensues. We need more talent (even if inexperienced) in those situations. If not, prepare for many nights of 1 goal or less.

Bardof425*

Last year was more of an anomaly for Brassard than anything else, not the rule. He's always been wildly inconsistent.

At the end of the day we traded Gaborik, a 40-goal scorer who is averaging a point per game this season, for Brassard (3rd liner w/ 2nd line potential), Dorsett (3rd/4th liner who is undisciplined), and Moore (the only bright part of the trade, the kid has an upside). We didn't add depth with that trade. Instead, we lost top end talent.

They FLEECED us in my opinion. Really regret that trade. If Nash got injured and we still had Richards/Gaborik in the line up, at least we'd still have a legitimate 1/2 punch. Richards and Stepan just doesn't cut it. Well, Stepan in particular. Richards has been great.

We traded Gaborik because he and the coach were at an impasse and the player stopped putting out. If we had known that Torts was going to be ousted then the Gaborik trade may not have happened. Let's not pretend there weren't any specific circumstances that lead to the move.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
These are the same hockey players from last season, and they were vastly better then.

I refuse to believe that this is down to the team lacking talent. Time to blame the coach, this happened when he came in

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
These are the same hockey players from last season, and they were vastly better then.

I refuse to believe that this is down to the team lacking talent. Time to blame the coach, this happened when he came in

The lineup as a whole is MUCH worse than last year's, and MUCH MUCH worse than the one from the year before. The team around you affects your performance. Wayne Gretzky would look like a bum trying to catch grenades off the stick of Pyatt and Pouliot. Bobby Orr would look like a bum trying to break out while Dorsett and Moore have their backs to the play and their heads up their *****. This team is Richards, Stepan, some rookies who need AHL time and a bunch of bottom sixers. You know what Scotty Bowman would do with this? Quit.

Last edited:

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
The lineup as a whole is MUCH worse than last year's, and MUCH MUCH worse than the one from the year before. The team around you affects your performance. Wayne Gretzky would look like a bum trying to catch grenades off the stick of Pyatt and Pouliot. Bobby Orr would look like a bum trying to break out while Dorsett and Moore have their backs to the play and their heads up their *****. This team is Richards, Stepan, some rookies who need AHL time and a bunch of bottom sixers. You know what Scotty Bowman would do with this? Quit.

Nah, Gretzky and Orr would make us favorites for the cup and players like Pyatt would be regular 30+ goal scorers if paired with Wayne. But obviously we have no one even half as good.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Ever hear of Mike Krushelnyski?

In trying to make a point, you messed up a bit. Those two particular players elevated everyone around them to heights that would have been considered laughable without them.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Serves me right for resorting to hyperbole. I stand by my conclusion though, the last three sentences.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Serves me right for resorting to hyperbole. I stand by my conclusion though, the last three sentences.

Because of the horrible stress we are all under, and after personally speaking with every poster in this thread, we have decided to forgive you.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Because of the horrible stress we are all under, and after personally speaking with every poster in this thread, we have decided to forgive you.

:laugh:

This seriously is a stressful time. I can't remember this team looking more like dog **** than they do now, and other than the 2 wins and possibly the STL game they've shown 0 signs of improvement or anything positive at all. What a horrible, horrible group of players this GM put together. I said the same thing before the preseason. On paper we're bad.. on ice we're worse

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thought Kreider andMiller looked alright. Fast needs to go to Hartford if they're just going to play him with Boyle and Pyatt. Good rebound game for Girardi. Solid debut from Talbot as well.

I don't care if it's an all rookie line.
They have speed + enough skill to be highly complementary.

Your 1st line until Cally back (then 2nd line)

Kreider -- Miller -- Fast

assume all but Nash likely, Nash very iffy. Balance is

Richards - Stepan - Yogan/MSC

Hagelin - Brassard - Callahan

Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

Lose Pyatt, Powe.
Mashinter on the bubble, lights a fire under Dorsett

St. Croix may = scoring help, worth a shot, but I prefer Yogan, seems less scorer but better all around and good fit to do grunt work along boards with Richie + Step.

Pouillot is bottom 6 filler, but I'd rather lose some of our deadweight for cap space.

This assumes no deal for Boyle -- we should get a pick now while we can --- and no big deal for Stepan, moving up Brassard and adding Lindberg to 3rd line.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would everyone be singing Kreiders praises had the Mcdoagh incident gone bad ?

An unintended accident, obviously, and there is something to be said for the element of surprise and not bracing yourself etc.

All that said and in consideration, Kreider flattened McD like he was nothing.
Reminded me of go through Chara like a hot knife thru butter.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
An unintended accident, obviously, and there is something to be said for the element of surprise and not bracing yourself etc.

All that said and in consideration, Kreider flattened McD like he was nothing.
Reminded me of go through Chara like a hot knife thru butter.
Exactly i mean it wasnt like he went right for MCD. he had just taken a shot at teh net and McD was right there in the wrong place. I've seen plenty of teams who have players that collide with eachother accidently

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
While it was obvious to everyone on replay that the hit was an unfortunate accident, Talbot also says as much and says he thinks he tripped before contact:

Edit: I had a link to the article but it's not working. I'm not good at the internet.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
St. Louis and Stamkos don't have chemistry. They are offensively gifted.

I am tired of reading about chemistry and effort.

It is overwhelmingly about a lack of offensive talent.

Richards, Gaborik and Nash are offensively gifted. They didn't have chemistry and they weren't great together.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Richards, Gaborik and Nash are offensively gifted. They didn't have chemistry and they weren't great together.

Whoever plays with Crosby has good chemistry with him. That does not make that player an excellent player.

Gretzky had great chemistry with Mario Lemieux, also.

You are comparing two of the very best players in the sport to players that range from ok to very good.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That's my point.

A team missing arguably it's two most important offensive pieces and then another big one in Hagelin, along with it's starting goalie who is among the best in the world, is as bad as a team that has everyone in and just sucks. I can live with that. Losing 2 - 1 under those conditions isn't a horrible loss. The other ones were for sure. Can't anybody take any solace in a small improvement from one game to another under these conditions? This team is missing the guys that make the offense go. If people can't see that, I don't know what to tell them. Nash, Cally and Hagelin are maybe the three worst players to lose for an extended time from an offensive standpoint. Losing without them is okay. Looking like the team isn't trying and can't play to save their lives isn't. This wasn't a game like that - they just lacked offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad