Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers: Prince Cam

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For those saying wait until all the top 6 are back--the top 6 revolves around Rick Nash and there's no telling when he's going to be back. It could be December, January, February.

So this team is either going to start doing better without Nash or this season is going down the drain.

On to Richards--no question he's been our best forward. Even so he's not tradable and the Rangers are still going to have to seriously consider buying him out at the end of the year--if only because of the last 3 years of his contract.

The Rangers need to go back to their defense first style at least until Nash comes back. They don't have the horses on offense. The Rangers defense last night was better. The only one I had a big problem with was MDZ. Don't like him on the right side. Girardi played really well. McDonagh was solid as well.

Talbot was good. The Coburn goal was maybe stoppable.

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
I have mixed feelings on Richards playing the "ole" defense on Coburn's goal.
On one hand, Richards let Coburn have a clear lane to the net.
On the other hand, if he tried to block the shot and got seriously injured, we wouldn't be able to buy him out....

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Thought Kreider and Miller looked alright. Fast needs to go to Hartford if they're just going to play him with Boyle and Pyatt. Good rebound game for Girardi. Solid debut from Talbot as well.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Injuries don't explain why these guys aren't trying to outwork the opponents on a consistent basis and why not one forward outside of Richards has stepped up their game.

In 2010-11, the Rangers had a lot of injuries to their top 6 - Gaborik missed 20 games, Prospal missed most of the season, and Callahan missed 22 games. That team managed to stay competitive through hard work and effort, and they received contributions up and down the lineup from players such as Dubinsky and Boyle.

Right now, this team is putting up a lackluster effort and players aren't rising to the occasion. I know Stepan, Brassard, and Del Zotto are inconsistent but they are surely capable of playing better than they have.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
This team needs to get rid of the garbage. Zuccarello and Pouliot need to go and we need more guys like Steve Downie and Kris Versteeg. Make it happen. This team needs a fusion of grit and skill. Del Zotto can be moved as a major piece too.

Nash Stepan Callahan
Kreider Richards Versteeg
Hagelin Brassard Downie
Boyle Moore Dorsett

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Stralman
Moore Falk/McIlrath/Trade

Replace the lack of heart and grit with some skill, speed and intensity.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
This team needs to get rid of the garbage. Zuccarello and Pouliot need to go and we need more guys like Steve Downie and Kris Versteeg. Make it happen. This team needs a fusion of grit and skill. Del Zotto can be moved as a major piece too.

Nash Stepan Callahan
Kreider Richards Versteeg
Hagelin Brassard Downie
Boyle Moore Dorsett

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Stralman
Moore Falk/McIlrath/Trade

Replace the lack of heart and grit with some skill, speed and intensity.

Well, if we developed these guys instead of always going into the FA pool every year, we wouldn't have these problems a majority of times.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kreider looked good with Stepan and Richards. He got better as the game went along and he was going to the net which is very important. Needs to be stronger on the puck at times but that is something that will come with time.

Miller looked good at times and bad others. Still very raw.

Pyatt was SLOW

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Thought Kreider and Miller looked alright. Fast needs to go to Hartford if they're just going to play him with Boyle and Pyatt. Good rebound game for Girardi. Solid debut from Talbot as well.

I agree with all of this. J. Moore also looked good out there. Very commanding of the puck and making things happen with his speed.

I thought Dorsett had a good game also even though he was in the penalty box a lot. Stirred the pot, brought energy, stuck up for McDonagh with Rinaldo.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Congrats '13-'14 NYR

Worst start in franchise history!!!

That's not actually true, is it?

I feel like there has to have been some worse start to a season, like during the 1950-1971 era when the Rangers were the bad joke of the Original Six.

I mean, you have to think that new dubious distinctions would be hard to set when you go almost 50 years between division titles...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm usually pragmatic and try not to overreact, but a significant portion of this roster needs to be flushed. Not all of it, mind you, but with our top scorers missing, we need to be able to play a good team game and this has not been happening.

We have so many errors it will be difficult to remedy them within the course of one regular season.

Incidentally, Max Talbot admitted he didn't think Pouliot meant to hurt him.

In Disgust

Oct 25, 2010
ny8he8.gif

Sell Sell Sell

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i see...so it's Torts' fault the Rangers still can't score according to some people.

Oddly enough our team has never looked this awful offensively under Torts, and we never looked this awful defensively...or in net...or in drive, or any other facet of the game.

Call it what it is, a horrendous effort, and it starts with the coach. I can live with a lot of stuff, but a complete lack of heart, effort, drive, whatever you wanna call it, ain't one of em, and it isnt something we saw at all with Torts.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
1. Talbot was very good. He is going to be as good as Biron was, provided he will be consistent. He is no Prince Cameron, though. Count Cameron may he be. Or better yet Count-Me-In Cam.
2. We have no depth. That is not Sather per se. It is every GM as long as Dolans run the show. We buy stars with our farm no matter how you cut it. Then we fill the roster with other clubs refusal.
3. AV may be a great coach, but he dealt with different personnel. Trades are inevitable, IMO. Just do not expect Pyatt or Pouliot to follow Powe or disappear somehow else.
4. In 2 wins we had the opponent's G was as bad as ours. We aren't getting a lot of wins this season that way.
5. I blame Miller. Soon after the goal taken away form him, the kid had a 100% chance to tie and missed the rare rebound.
6. Moore was our best forward.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'm not here to defend this team. They have been putrid, no bones about it. But you just cannot use their performance so far as proof that those of us that think there may have been some untapped offensive potential in these players are/were wrong. It's a dishonest assessment under these circumstances (injuries, ridiculous schedule, coaching adjustment, etc.).

You may very well turn out to be right, but you're not being fair pulling this out right now.

Colorado seems to be handling the horrors of a new coaching system.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
new system, horrible schedule, injuries dont excuse a lack of effort. these guys dont try, they dont care...cruise control is enough for them.

sickening.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Difference between the Rangers and Lightning... St. Louis and Stamkos, for one, have chemistry. We already know they're top 5 players. They have roles. Offense first. The rest of the team has a role and they play that role. 4th line players aren't playing 1st line minutes.

That's why we were so good in 11-12. The team had excellent chemistry and the team was well balanced from top to bottom.

Our third and fourth liners don't do anything. I don't see them forecheck. I don't see them hit. They definitely don't produce energy.

St. Louis and Stamkos don't have chemistry. They are offensively gifted.

I am tired of reading about chemistry and effort.

It is overwhelmingly about a lack of offensive talent.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree with all of this. J. Moore also looked good out there. Very commanding of the puck and making things happen with his speed.

I thought Dorsett had a good game also even though he was in the penalty box a lot. Stirred the pot, brought energy, stuck up for McDonagh with Rinaldo.

Agreed, and, you in particular will like this, I thought Mashinter had a decent game as well. :laugh:

Mash/Moore/Dorsett is a nice, gritty line that can provide energy and they had a good game.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
No no no, don't you go there inferno.

You know exactly that this is what all Torts "haters" where saying. That it would take quite some time to fix the mess he was creating, ie right a team that had zero transition game in a NHL where all better teams went in the complete opposite direction.

If there is one instance I hate to be right, it is this.

Kel you are making a fool of yourself. This is a team built by Torts for the last 3.5 years with his players on it, and they are looking like ****. They looked like **** last year when he was behind the bench and would have missed the PO's if it wasn't for Hank and Nash (we got in by two pts or what?).

Undoubtedly, if we had Torts behind the bench today we would look slightly better today, but in light of what you are seing right now when we are aiming just a tad higher, you cannot seriously argue that we where heading in the right direction under Torts lol.

Torts left out some key elements in the game in the NHL in 2013 for 3.5 years, that is what we are seeing results of today.

Ola, anyone who believes Torts is the architect of the team should not throw around the "fool" word.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Agreed, and, you in particular will like this, I thought Mashinter had a decent game as well. :laugh:

Mash/Moore/Dorsett is a nice, gritty line that can provide energy and they had a good game.

I thought Mash was alright. He did some okay things out there and his fight with Simmonds was a good one. Great trade-off for the Rangers at the time.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
to me AV seems smart but very very passive.. i loved torts bc of emotion and passion for the game.. with key injuries to nash callahan and hags, it going to expose us badly and its obv..

Miller, Kreider, fast looked excellent this game..

boyle haters got to stop.. dude played excellent tonight, as did moore..

with our big three out our depth guys are now the ones to count on, and thats not a good situation for anyone..

right now we need pyatt and pouls to get the **** off this team.. play kristo and make a ****en trade for someone with an edge to there game and has a pulse..

but overall i thought we played a lot better game then previous.. to think its nov almost and we have yet to play a home game is disturbing.. give it home games and peoples coming back and we'll be good to go..

hags might be back monday so it should be good for us..

Kreider-Step-Miller
Richards-Brass- MZA
Hags-boyle-Fast
Mash-Moore-Dorsett

id go to battle right now with that.. **** the vets!!

Imagine how much more and truly excellent they'd be if their complementary speed was working as a unit?

AV is learning.
He stopped w/Kreider + Pyatt

Now it is better cause it is a better set of linemates

Eventually he will take the hint and adopt my suggestion.

You heard it here first, folks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad