Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flames 2/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Another great quiet, solid defensive game by Staal and Klein. Zucc and Kreider are starting to look much better too

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Another great quiet, solid defensive game by Staal and Klein. Zucc and Kreider are starting to look much better too

Agreed. Staal has been good on this road trip. Very steady. Klein has been status quo, continues to join the rush. But the bigger pieces are Zucc/Kreider. They are the two that can really make the engine go. They are the guys behind Nash/MSL/Stepan/Brass that need to produce to balance out the offense. Kreider looked liked the Kreider we need. Used his speed, was decisive with the puck taking shots, and he threw his weight around.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
So how long until Fast takes over the third line spot and forces Stempniak to the fourth line?

IMO Fast has been better in every way. Also giving Hayes another winger without stone hands might work pretty well

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Not terribly happy with how the Rangers have played to some extent over the past few games. They sit back and don't push the play very much for long stretches of time...not getting a shot on goal for over 10 minutes to start the game means you're not actually playing very good hockey, even if you are limiting the other team as well. They just don't skate or pressure the other team to get their forecheck going. Especially when they go up by some goals they look like they get very complacent. I don't see the energy and confidence they had least year when they always kept going. Worries me

The late penalty last night and Calgary's power play goal are examples of when they just kind of stopped skating hard cuz they acted like "yeah we got this gam ein the bag we can coast to the end". It's just bad hockey to do

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fast: Kid was tremendous tonight. Earlier in the year we complained that he didn't do enough to prove he was an NHL player. These past couple weeks, and tonight especially, he was an NHL player for sure. A few good scoring chances, good on the cycle, tremendous back checking and overall defense.

Awsome to hear, I haven't seen the game yet but he has picked it up lately and its nice to hear that he is building on that.

I want to add one thing with these kids, I think its important to remember that they can develop a lot still and that more often than not its an requirement that they do so.

Take a kid like Callahan, he was not very impressive at the age many of our other kids are now. He was one of the first cuts from camp, and in weak competition made it on effort more than anything during the season. He was extremely hot for a while in the AHL and also in the NHL where he scored a ton of goals on long range slappers that just found its ways through goaltenders, but he kept developing tremendously all the way basically up until he left us.

I am not saying that any kid who is on the verge now will become a 6m player when they are 27 y/o, for every Callahan you have several guys like Petr Prucha, Nigel Dawes and co to name a few we are familiar with. But my point is just that there is a due process here. A young kid who is looking promising and showing signs of improving while already having a foot in the NHL is awsome, on the other side of the coin you have the same kid who is not showing signs of improving, and that often is not very promising at all.

My point is just that its reasonable to expect that a big portion of the kids we develop will come in and look pretty meh, and like of those kids, 25% maybe or something, will develop up until they are around 25 y/o at least and then become very important players for us. Callahan and Girardi are excellent examples of this.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
So how long until Fast takes over the third line spot and forces Stempniak to the fourth line?

IMO Fast has been better in every way. Also giving Hayes another winger without stone hands might work pretty well

I like Stempniak's hustle but he had some bad giveaways last night especially

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
When healthy (hopefully Saturday) Nash-Brassard-Zuccs. Miller-Stepan-MSL. Kreider-Hayes-Stempniak. Hagelin-Moore-Fast

I'd like to see Fast with Kreider and Hayes. Now that would be a "quickie" line. In fact let's call it that if it sticks.
Remember Stempniak was a regular 4th liner with Pittsburgh. There was a reason for that. Maybe we're approaching the talent level that they had? He's best suited there.

KingP

Mar 24, 2012
New york
Not terribly happy with how the Rangers have played to some extent over the past few games. They sit back and don't push the play very much for long stretches of time...not getting a shot on goal for over 10 minutes to start the game means you're not actually playing very good hockey, even if you are limiting the other team as well. They just don't skate or pressure the other team to get their forecheck going. Especially when they go up by some goals they look like they get very complacent. I don't see the energy and confidence they had least year when they always kept going. Worries me

The late penalty last night and Calgary's power play goal are examples of when they just kind of stopped skating hard cuz they acted like "yeah we got this gam ein the bag we can coast to the end". It's just bad hockey to do
They didn't really need to push the play to win these games. Its about limiting the mistakes and finding other ways to win games. I thought we played good hockey

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I think that Stempniak has better hockey sense than either Hagelin or Fast. everything else is about equal, but both Kreider and Hayes need a smarter player playing with them.

IMHO

I know its just an opinion, but I don't think its quite fair to make an assessment of Fast's hockey sense just yet.

He has only played on the fourth line with such players as Tanner Glass, and has looked good doing it. Personally I think he deserves a shot at the third line.

I would look at it as more of a promotion for Fast than a demotion for Stempniak.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I like Stempniak's hustle but he had some bad giveaways last night especially

when Brassard is back it will be interesting to see what happens with the lines. Miller needs to get top 9 minutes and maybe even top 6 with Kreider to 3rd line and Stempniak to 4th with Glass sitting.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think that Stempniak has better hockey sense than either Hagelin or Fast. everything else is about equal, but both Kreider and Hayes need a smarter player playing with them.

IMHO

Understood but I don't view either Hags or Fast as having less hockey IQ (i.e. smarts) than Stempniak and I also think that Hayes has proven to be pretty reliable away from a puck.

Separately, through more than a 1/3 of a season I'm beginning to think that signing Boyle was a mistake - he consistently makes bad plays in all three zones and contributed zilch to PP.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
They didn't really need to push the play to win these games. Its about limiting the mistakes and finding other ways to win games. I thought we played good hockey

Eh, it makes me worry that it's not sustainable, especially against better teams. It's tough to play at two different levels...can the Rangers just turn it up when they play against the top teams in the league and when they're playing against bottom teams, dial it back? Seems a bit much to ask. Lot of goals coming off the rush lately, which is great, but I'd love to see them generate more cycle and goals off of that.

Also, limiting mistakes still isn't a good thing if it means you end up spending most of a period defending against the other team.

That all said, the rangers were a good possession team last year and the lineup hasn't changed so much that I think there's a fundamental flaw in it. I feel like they're still just somewhat feeling their game out and some things still aren't quite coming naturally. The lines haven't clicked together as well as they did in the second half of last season yet so I'm still seeing a lot of sloppy passing and guys not quite in the right position at times.

Also would like to see some more urgency out of Dan Boyle, he gets wayyyyy too sloppy at times with the puck.

Separately, through more than a 1/3 of a season I'm beginning to think that signing Boyle was a mistake - he consistently makes bad plays in all three zones and contributed zilch to PP.

I thought he was playing pretty well right before he got sick and missed a few games (though he hadn't played in a lot of games before that). Since he's gotten back he seems like he's struggling to figure out where to be on the ice and is forcing things. It's probably not actually related to him being sick, it just seems like he went from "looks like he's rounding into form" to "he's struggling out there". I am thankful it's only a 2 year contract though.

IMHO

Better than Hagelin maybe but I think the jury's still out on Fast a bit. He's impressing a lot with his all around play and could easily take off with a bit more icetime and better linemates.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What were the fenwick stats for this game because while Calgary had a lot of shot attempts, most of their attempts were blocked

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What were the fenwick stats for this game because while Calgary had a lot of shot attempts, most of their attempts were blocked

Don't know about Fenwick but the FLames blocked more shots 5 on 5 than the Rangers did

e: woops I misread that, my mistake. They doubled up the Rangers in the amount of shots they had blocked.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Fast is skating much better last few games that's the biggest difference. He's getting to spots and using his body which he wasn't before. There's hope for him

Nothing I like about stempniaks game. Thought it was a good signing but I just don't like his game at all. The turnovers are brutal.

Gotta play Hank Saturday after 3 days off. He wants to play. Play cam at home on Sunday back to Hank tuesday

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone tell me if it's all the loss of the 4th line and Stralman (and I guess brassard) that has turned us into a poor possession team? We're not going to be getting a bunch of oddman rushes in the playoffs and when things get tighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad