Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flames 2/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
let's not go nuts on Fast he's nothing special. he's playing better yes but id deal him for an upgrade on the fourth line today if I could.

but he's cheap and works hard looks to be improving its a capped league you can't always get what you want.

don't ever compare him to hagelin who is not playing great right now but we all know what he's capable of and that he'll turn it on come playoff time

I don't get it how you can come to this conclusion. He's 23 and has 28 games under his belt.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
let's not go nuts on Fast he's nothing special. he's playing better yes but id deal him for an upgrade on the fourth line today if I could.

but he's cheap and works hard looks to be improving its a capped league you can't always get what you want.

don't ever compare him to hagelin who is not playing great right now but we all know what he's capable of and that he'll turn it on come playoff time

He is both smarter on the ice and more skilled than Hagelin. he isn't as fast. That's about it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

This is exactly what you want from a 4th liner in a capped league.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
Can someone tell me if it's all the loss of the 4th line and Stralman (and I guess brassard) that has turned us into a poor possession team? We're not going to be getting a bunch of oddman rushes in the playoffs and when things get tighter.

Corsi tied through 29 games
2013/14: 441/455 = 49.2
2014/15: 459/472 = 49.3

Fenwick tied through 29 games
2013/14: 336/335 = 50.1
2014/15: 346/349 = 49.8

I'd give it some more time before definitively saying they're a poor possession team.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He is both smarter on the ice and more skilled than Hagelin. he isn't as fast. That's about it.

This.

I know he's a valuable player, but how stupid Hagelin can be on the ice has really gotten on my nerves, and makes a trade for him easier to swallow. It's like his brain falls out every now and then.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I'd give it some more time before definitively saying they're a poor possession team.

I'm perfectly content with those numbers considering we have iced a full line up (without Glass) three times all year. And we won those games 3-0 and 5-1, and the other was that abortion Detroit game.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
An issue I have with possession stats is that people will look at poor possession stats, act like it's Judgement Day, and shout "Unsustainable! They're doomed!" Like the Ducks for example, whose wins are way outpacing their Corsi. But looking at the Ducks roster, I'd say their Corsi is going to catch up with their wins, not the other way around.

There's 50 games left. Corsi can improve just like every stat can improve.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
An issue I have with possession stats is that people will look at poor possession stats, act like it's Judgement Day, and shout "Unsustainable! They're doomed!" Like the Ducks for example, whose wins are way outpacing their Corsi. But looking at the Ducks roster, I'd say their Corsi is going to catch up with their wins, not the other way around.

There's 50 games left. Corsi can improve just like every stat can improve.
Anaheim is 12th in the league in CF-close%. They are a team I think will out-perform their possession numbers, but I don't think they'll improve their possession numbers.

But yeah, even high-volume stats can change dramatically after 30 games. Less than low-volume stats, obviously, but it happens.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I just think our early struggle to get AV's system hurt those stats last year. That shouldn't have been the case this year. Though we did have a lot of injuries.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm perfectly content with those numbers considering we have iced a full line up (without Glass) three times all year. And we won those games 3-0 and 5-1, and the other was that abortion Detroit game.

I haven't been following, since Glass went down with Mumps, has he played because of other injuries/mumps, or has he played despite us having the ability to put guys like Miller and Fast on the 4th line?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I haven't been following, since Glass went down with Mumps, has he played because of other injuries/mumps, or has he played despite us having the ability to put guys like Miller and Fast on the 4th line?

We've consistently had one winger out for whatever reason, that Glass kept replacing.

But he was healthy scratched against Vancouver, to keep Miller in the lineup and re-insert Kreider.

He only got back in when Brassard got the mumps.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Staal had a very good game again, he's looking more and more like the Marc Staal that would be devastating to lose. So confusing.

Nash is a monster.

Hank was very good, Calgary had their fair share of chances. He's basically back to normal. If this game happened earlier in the season I could see us losing 5-4 or something with a few softies.

He's tracking the puck much better, his movements are solid and strong.

Having Klein clearing the goal line doesn't hurt either.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
There isn't exactly a thread for this so i thought i'd just put it here. What the hell is up with all the gaps in between gaps in such a short amount of time? This is what, Our 4th long gap between games in the last month or so? and then all this will come back to bite us in the ass later in the season with 6000 back to backs.

This long break i can understand with coming back from west canada and all but so many squashed together just makes no sense.
At least it's a nice coincidence to help guys like brassard heal up and get back without missing many games.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
This.

I know he's a valuable player, but how stupid Hagelin can be on the ice has really gotten on my nerves, and makes a trade for him easier to swallow. It's like his brain falls out every now and then.

The reason Hagelin looked as good as he did when he first arrived was a combination of many factors. For one, his speed is unmatched by many, and that most likely took many defenseman off guard. Secondly, he was incredibly polished, and also a fair bit older than a lot of rookies (he was 24, I believe). Even more so than Fast, who looks pretty polished for a player of his age/experience. Thirdly, he spent a lot of time with Richards and Gaborik, which definitely helped his numbers his first year. He did earn that spot through playing well after his call up, but Fast is competing for a higher spot on the team with probably the best RW depth in the league, whereas Hagelin was fighting for a spot on a team whose best LW at the time was a snakebitten Brandon Dubinsky.

So, in short: saying "don't ever compare him to Hagelin" is ridiculous. Like it's disrespectful to Hagelin or something lol. Hagelin is a good player, but he's still a middle six guy at best.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You're not going to make Fasth happen

I don't care if it catches on or not, I just wanna call him by his real name, not his americanized name. It's a pet peeve of mine...call people by their real name.

When I was in high school one of my best friends name was Rabindrah. Nobody called him that because it was too hard for them to pronounce...so everyone called him Mike...he told people to call him Mike.

I always called him Rabindrah :P

Once I called him Rabindrah in his own house and his sister didn't know who I was talking about lol.

If we say it enough we could haha. I love fasth. Fasth is an excellent 4th liner. I was rooting for fasth when he was in hartford. I was happy when we drafted fasth. Fasth had 2 great scoring chances yesterday. I was their when fasth scored his first goal. Fasth is a solid bottom 6 player. Fasth has a team friendly contract. Fasth is a million times better than glass.
See we can do it! Let's make the transition!

DOOOO EEETTTTT!!!

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I don't care if it catches on or not, I just wanna call him by his real name, not his americanized name. It's a pet peeve of mine...call people by their real name.

When I was in high school one of my best friends name was Rabindrah. Nobody called him that because it was too hard for them to pronounce...so everyone called him Mike...he told people to call him Mike.

I always called him Rabindrah :P

Once I called him Rabindrah in his own house and his sister didn't know who I was talking about lol.

DOOOO EEETTTTT!!!

While I would normally agree with you, in this case Fast changed his name and by using Fasth you make it confusing (as there are several other players with this name in the NHL), even for someone like me who knows--and not everyone does know about the name change. If you insist upon continuing with Fasth, please type J or Jesper too, so we are all on the same page.

And for all we know, Fast decided to drop the H so he would stand out from other Swedish players with the same name....

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Someone should look it up, but it seems like we've had more man games lost to injury this year than the previous 5 years combined or something. This team has just been so damn healthy for a while. Bound to catch up with you sometime I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad