GDT: Rangers @ Ducks - 7:30 PM PST

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Wether we like it or not.. You need high end skill to beat great defensive teams.. Cogliano and ailf are dragging kesler down.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I like their odds at scoring a goal with 5 minutes left a lot better with Vatanen in the lineup, that's for sure. I'm not sure why Pirri was out there to end the game. I would have gotten Lindholm/Perron/Rakell/Getzlaf/Perry/Fowler out there

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I like their odds at scoring a goal with 5 minutes left a lot better with Vatanen in the lineup, that's for sure. I'm not sure why Pirri was out there to end the game. I would have gotten Lindholm/Perron/Rakell/Getzlaf/Perry/Fowler out there

His shot is his greatest asset. Don't mind the idea of giving him a chance and letting him run with it or play himself off it. Let him decide his fate.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Why no love for our other Swedes? :(

Rakell fan club in the house.

They were sitting right next to me tonight, just out of the picture. From Rickie's home town (maybe his home team town?). I asked about Hampus and they said Ricky was their guy.

Nice group to talk to, coming back for the Boston game.

By the way, Ducks played very average tonight. Perry was good, Fowler and Manson were good and I thought Pirri did okay. Thought he would be much softer, but he did not shy away from contact. I think he could fit with that line.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
His shot is his greatest asset. Don't mind the idea of giving him a chance and letting him run with it or play himself off it. Let him decide his fate.

He was in his first game back from injury playing with a brand new team. I can't remember who exactly was out there, but I'd feel a lot better about our chances at scoring with Rakell/Perron/Kesler out there instead. Oh well

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I am leaning more toward keep Vatanen, trade Fowler for ransom.

I know you'll get some flack for that on here because everyone is in love with Fowler, but I'm starting to be ok with that line of thinking as well

It's not that whatsoever, and it's not that I completely disagree with Sauced either. When Vatanen was asked to fill Fowler's shoes, his offense completely dried up. That's what will be asked of him if Fowler is traded because he wont get those sweetheart matchups that he gets now and Fowler ALLOWS Vatanen to have those opportunities. I understand that Vatanen is more dynamic offensively, and arguably more important during key offensive situations. However, that doesn't take in to account the majority of the moments that top line of the opposing team is on the ice, and Fowler is expected to shut them down.

Tonight was a great example. Did Rick Nash even play? Did the top line for the Rangers even play? Who lead the team on shorthanded TOI? Fowler had one major gaph where Miller walked him while shorthanded, but even then his scoring opportunity was in so close that Gibson had no problem saving it. He was borderline dominant at ES tonight.I could go on, and this isn't even taking in to consideration of could you sign Vatanen to a better deal for the team then Fowler's current deal?

Last edited:

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
It's not that whatsoever, and it's not that I completely disagree with Sauced either. When Vatanen was asked to fill Fowler's shoes, his offense completely dried up. That's what will be asked of him if Fowler is traded because he wont get those sweetheart matchups that he gets now and Fowler ALLOWS Vatanen to have those opportunities. I understand that Vatanen is more dynamic offensively, and arguably more important during key offensive situations. However, that doesn't take in to account the majority of the moments that the opposing team is on the ice, and Fowler is expected to shut them down.

I could go on, and this isn't even taking in to consideration of could you sign Vatanen to a better deal for the team then Fowler's current deal?

His offense didn't completely dry up, the whole team couldn't put the puck into the ocean. His assist numbers would be much higher if the team wasn't complete **** half the season.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Wether we like it or not.. You need high end skill to beat great defensive teams.. Cogliano and ailf are dragging kesler down.

there are two others lines that should be scoring. And Silf and Cogs weren't dragging Kes down last game, but because they go a game without a point, they are dragging him down now and need to go.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
His offense didn't completely dry up, the whole team couldn't put the puck into the ocean. His assist numbers would be much higher if the team wasn't complete **** half the season.

I've edited since then, but it's actually the opposite. If I remember correctly, the offense turned around in Fowler's absence. Hence a lot of the beginnings of the Fowler is irrelevant arguments.

Edit: here was my earlier edit(damn slow as **** computer tonight!): play? Did the top line for the Rangers even play? Who lead the team on shorthanded TOI? Fowler had one major gaph where Miller walked him while shorthanded, but even then his scoring opportunity was in so close that Gibson had no problem saving it. He was borderline dominant at ES tonight.I could go on, and this isn't even taking in to consideration of could you sign Vatanen to a better deal for

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
there are two others lines that should be scoring. And Silf and Cogs weren't dragging Kes down last game, but because they go a game without a point, they are dragging him down now and need to go.

Your right about that, But dont let that one game fool you, Let alone agains the devils. Im talking about throughout the whole season.. Cogs is a great defensive winger so is Silf, SIlf has more updside and better shot, but right now, I would love a guy like bels who was able to put the puck in the net.. Crash the crease.. Cogs can only do so much. His body has limits..THey need a guy that can open up space as well as finish.... Thats why bels worked on that line.. Anyways.. Here is hoping they have a better game next time around.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

I NEVER argued that, I supported that Fowler allows Vatanen to enhance those numbers.

Fowlers' absence and Vatanen in his role:
Vatanen: 3 pts in 13 games

SIGNIFICANTLY lower then his 37 pts in 66 games OVERALL totals.

That's a 19 pt pace per season vs a 53 pt pace per season. I understand, sample size, but once again Fowler ALLOWS Vatanen to get the sweetheart matchups. BTW, Ducks scored 35 goals in those 13 games. Yes, it's over their season average, and yes I think 19 points is a low pace for Vats.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Didn`t saw the game. Anyone have a scouting report on Pirri from this one? :)

IMO he was better then advertised. He seemed grittier, and more effective on the forecheck then was advertised. Of course, a lot of that probably has to do with being with gritty players like Getzlaf-Perron, as well as knowing that he will be put in the press box if he doesn't perform, but that isn't a bad problem to have IMO and that line actually seemed to have some cycling chemistry. Fanned on a one timer in the dying moments which was disappointing, but I can imagine his nerves were through the roof.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
That was easily the most boring game I have ever attended

As someone who also attended, I couldn't agree more with this. If this is what "playoff hockey" is supposed to be this day in age I'm going to be upset. You can't let teams hook, hold, interfere, etc. to no end and expect any excitement. That Getzlaf slash was ridiculous, that slash happens literally 10+ times per game. I'm fine with calling it, but then call it everytime! Not a fun game to attend.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As someone who also attended, I couldn't agree more with this. If this is what "playoff hockey" is supposed to be this day in age I'm going to be upset. You can't let teams hook, hold, interfere, etc. to no end and expect any excitement. That Getzlaf slash was ridiculous, that slash happens literally 10+ times per game. I'm fine with calling it, but then call it everytime! Not a fun game to attend.

Sounds good. He played more than 15 minutes as well!

Thanks Sean!

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We really need some production out of our first line again. They've gone ice cold lately and it's not good enough. Team misses Vatanen a ton too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad