Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils - February 2

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It goes back for years though....msl playing like crap still gets big minutes. Glass playing at all. So many terrible decisions.

Staal had the most ES minutes last night. Glass had more than Hayes. Moore had more than Stalberg, Lindberg, Brassard.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Great article from Joe over at BlueshirtBanter about last nights game...

A lot of people took the opportunity to blame Henrik Lundqvist for the loss -- since he wasn't perfect he seems to be an easy target for the masses -- which I very much so disagree about. If you're not going to look into the deeper rooted problems and you want to throw Lundqvist under the bus then be my guest. But it's not a wise stance to take given the circumstances.

- I can totally see laying some blame on Lundqvist's feet on the second goal. It's from a tough angle and it's probably one he wants back. This is the problem, though, with Lundqvist playing God his entire career. When he isn't perfect fans stomp their feet and cry like a kid who didn't get something on Christmas. After all the games in his career -- honestly, too many to count -- where Lundqvist was the only reason the Rangers won, or performed some herculean miracle to make sure things went the Rangers way where he didn't get any credit and it was just expected, these angry reactions are from crab people.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2016/2/3/10904156/rangers-vs-devils-the-misconception-of-possession

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The positives from last night:

Kreider was really good (and has actually been good for the last 5-6 games or so)

I thought Boyle/Yandle pairing was a nice twist from AV.good (Boyle played a nice game). I am not sure I'd pair those two together against a top team, but they can be dangerous against teams with weaker 3rd / 4th line.

McDonagh appears to be in the midst of one of those stretches where he is a monster. We all know he goes into prolonged funks at times, but if he can play like this the rest of the way, that is a great sign.

Brassard has slowly matured into a legitimate 1A center in this league who brings energy, effort, and skill every night.

Last night was about Schnedier outplaying Lundqvist. It shouldn't happen, but it does every now and then.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Wait. We lost?

I left for a few minutes and come back and we lost? I see that Hank let up an awful goal and the PK was a typical disaster.

Figures. Typical way to lose these days.

so you did this jon ????

go away. never come back. ever.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Staal had the most ES minutes last night. Glass had more than Hayes. Moore had more than Stalberg, Lindberg, Brassard.

:biglaugh: I don't even know what to make of that.

Good article.

It's fair. It'd be nice for the team in front of him to bail him out every now and then.

Yep. Lets be honest here, has Hank been Hank this year? No. Not since the 16-3-2 start. Does he deserve some of the blame? Sure, maybe ONE single iota of it. A guy that has bailed this team out for how many years deserves some kind of pass. The team itself is flawed. They are trash. There is no effort. The product on the ice isn't there and you can tell that either there is something wrong with the locker room or AV has just lost the ears of the team he coaches. Hank deserves a very small amount of blame here.

For once his play isn't on a HOF level and he can't have the team bail him out during his slump? I am aware we are paying him 8.5 million. Other 7,8,9 million dollar players go through slumps. It happens. Hank isn't the problem and I personally don't see how anyone can be blaming him for the lethargic team in front of him.

If there has ever been a guy in Rangers history that has earned his paycheck it is Henrik Lundqvist.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

im not buying this argument.

since lundqvist was good for so long and was the reason we won so many games prior, even if he gives up a softy per game- and he seems to be doing that more and more frequently, he still cannot be rightly criticized because of what he's done for the franchise before ??

pretty much thats the narrative.

i don't buy it.

look, he's amazing, he's the face of the franchise. he's been pretty much godlike for along time. his numbers prove that. but I'm gonna say this right now. he's not the same hank.

he's got a family and kids. he's got a zillions outside hockey things going on and he's getting past the "prime " age. and, and this is big, the team in front of him this season just aint that good. notice i said team and not just defense. the team isn't very good.

all those things add up to a weaker hank and a just plain bad team.

look at hanks numbers. save % and gaa. 17th in save % and 22nd in gaa.

that aint henrik lundqvist.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
This team has consistently failed Hank.Look no further than two shut outs in two home PO games last year.

Would be nice to see them pick him up and get it right back for him after something like that,but when Mister Vigneault insists on making asinine personnel decisions...

Deleted member 23124

since lundqvist was good for so long and was the reason we won so many games prior, even if he gives up a softy per game- and he seems to be doing that more and more frequently, he still cannot be rightly criticized because of what he's done for the franchise before ??

i don't buy it.

look, he's amazing, he's the face of the franchise. he's been pretty much godlike for along time. his numbers prove that. but I'm gonna say this right now. he's not the same hank.

he's got a family and kids. he's got a zillions outside hockey things going on and he's getting past the "prime " age. and, and this is big, the team in front of him this season just aint that good. notice i said team and not just defense. the team isn't very good.

Personally, I think he's just disgusted at what's going on in front of him. I get the same feeling about Zucc as well....These are the two players on this team that always seem to "bring it" no matter what. Not so now.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This team has consistently failed Hank.Look no further than two shut outs in two home PO games last year.

Would be nice to see them pick him up and get it right back for him after something like that,but when Mister Vigneault insists on making asinine personnel decisions...

If Lundqvist played half-decent in games 2 and 3, we would not even have needed game 7. It's just cherry-picking to blame the offense for games 5 and 7 but turn a blind eye when judging Lundqvist.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
If Lundqvist played half-decent in games 2 and 3, we would not even have needed game 7. It's just cherry-picking to blame the offense for games 5 and 7 but turn a blind eye when judging Lundqvist.

I'm not turning a blind eye to his gaffes,I'm just saying the team in front of him can never seem to 'Rally round the flag' so to speak.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
It goes back for years though....msl playing like crap still gets big minutes. Glass playing at all. So many terrible decisions.

The Coach and his staff have made many poor decisions and they just seem to compound.

The players are out of position on the PK. They overpass on the PP. Henrik is hung out to dry over and over again by his teammates who have no idea where to go in the defensive zone.

Some here used to call Tortorella's use of his players as "banging a square peg into a round hole". I'd say we have been watching this since MSL began declining with the current coach as well.

I'll also vouch for what a few others have said: namely we need our youth to start taking the step. The gaffes that a few goals from Kreider could mask would be would be a welcome start.

It would be fortunate for the Coach if players start playing to their strengths the way JT Miller has; all his sins will be washed away. However - can these players grow within his system? Is it at all possible? If you're a disorganized mess in the defensive zone, offense will by nature be very hard to come by.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
Personally, I think he's just disgusted at what's going on in front of him. I get the same feeling about Zucc as well....These are the two players on this team that always seem to "bring it" no matter what. Not so now.

I'm not sure if I would say he's disgusted, but his issue is definitely mental. The team as a whole (himself included) hasn't had a good stretch of games since November, so it's understandable that he's frustrated. If we can string together a few wins, I can't help but feel he'll snap out of his funk.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
I'm not turning a blind eye to his gaffes,I'm just saying the team in front of him can never seem to 'Rally round the flag' so to speak.

It's like if the offense can't get it done then they need to shift strategies, then. Not sure if that's possible before coaches and fans realize what's going on.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Looks like I picked a good season not to watch many games.

Stats-wise, could be a San Jose situation where they kept the same guys around thinking the Cup was attainable but it actually corrupted the strategy and led to an abyss.

Plenty of hockey left, but judging by the vitriol on the GDT's I lurk in I'm going to trust your collective opinion that AV is part of the problem.

Same here. I KNEW it going into this season. You can't make terrible roster decisions and trades over and over and over for years on end.

This is all on the front office from Sather to Gorton. They gutted this team now and in the future for options that they should have KNOWN weren't going to push us over the top. I can't be mad at Girardi and Staal. They suck now, it happens. Especially with Girardi he shouldn't be in this position if the goddamn front office had addressed the hole at RD that would be left by Stralman leaving. Callahan should have been used to bring in a RD prospect instead of a piece of garbage retiree, Duclair should have NEVER, EVER been traded for a 3rd pair LD (you knew that was all that was available). McI should be starting. Hagelin should still be PKing.

Glass, Stoll, Stalberg, paille should have never even sniffed this team. I've gone over it in other threads so if you have any questions about what I'm saying just go look at those. I did the cap math and everything. FO mismanagement through and through

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Why Staal and Girardi continue to get so many ES minutes is beyond me. Staal had the most ES minutes of any defenseman yesterday. The fact that he doesn't see how bad they are is really worrisome. Coaches are supposed to be able to evaluate talent. AV wouldn't know talent if it hit him in the face. McL has looked better in his worst game than Staal and Girardi have looked in their best, yet he continues to sit in the pressbox.

Yandle's usage alone should get him fired, or at least on the hot seat. Three powerplays yesterday, all complete *********, while Yandle gets less than 20 seconds on each of them. He and Miller create the go ahead goal, and back to the bench he goes. The only reason Yandle got actual PP time on the last PP was because McD played a long shift right before.

The fourth line getting offensive zone starts is mind boggling. Yesterday, he put Yandle-Boyle together, which should never happen for reasons obvious to everyone but AV. But then he does even better and puts the 4th line with them. Tell me something - how are Yandle and Boyle supposed to score with two black holes and Dominic Moore next to them? What is the point of a shift like that? Good/creative players need to play with players who think the game the same way as they do. That's why Yandle works so well with Brassard and Miller. Is Yandle supposed to spring Tanner Glass and Daniel Paille for a breakout? What a joke.

If AV had any eyes/brains, he would scratch one of Glass/Paille, go with 7D, and play Staal/Girardi in very limited minutes. I'm talking PK and like 10 ES minutes at best.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
The players are out of position on the PK. They overpass on the PP. Henrik is hung out to dry over and over again by his teammates who have no idea where to go in the defensive zone.

Seriously out of position. Also, when are we going to officially give up on this Daniel Paille experiment? He was miserable on the PK last night.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

i don't buy it.

And I thought I was depressing, if Lundqvist is really declining too, not even really sure where to go with that thought.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

i don't buy it.

The article is right on the money. It would be stupid to absolve him of any and all criticism. It's also just as stupid to assign anything other than cursory blame to him b/c of what a dumpster fire the team is.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
This team just isn't very good. They need to re-tool, sell off some pieces for young assets and picks and just admit it just isn't their year.

Too many no shows this year. Except, apparently, JT Miller

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Losing to a depleted NJ team with a bunch of no namers. I didn't expect anything else. What a terrific start. :clap:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
you can have all the big names you want

when you aren't fully committed, then the results look pretty similar to what we have

i question this teams heart.

its starts with the coaching staff and ends with the guys who wear the skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad