Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Detroit 3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerTime79

Jun 28, 2007
Babcock and the Red Wings are the NHL's version of Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots. Coached meticulously to gain every legal and illegal advantage possible. The crunch-time holding/embellishing stunt from Nyquist is just classic Red Wings hockey, just like every Brady overthrown ball ends up as pass interference when the Pats receiver grabs the CB's arm and dives to the ground.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Been a big fan of Brassard since his Drummondville years. I was starting to think he was never going to put it together, but the games I've watched with him this year has been a nice surprise. I'm happy he's come to develop so well for you guys. You must be very happy with him.

Brassard has been very good for us this season as he's already surpassed his career best in points and counting. Some were a bit leery of his new contract but so far he's delivered. Brassard, Stepan, Hayes, and Moore may not be the sexiest or biggest names of centers in the league but they fit in well and they're playing their best hockey to date.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Truely believe that was an ECF preview (minus Lundqvist)

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Nice to get a point out of the game.

Last edited:

Morten

May 24, 2014
worst part about the loss: detroit fans actually think they were the better team on the ice

best part about the loss: we regain lead in our division :)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Babcock and the Red Wings are the NHL's version of Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots. Coached meticulously to gain every legal and illegal advantage possible. The crunch-time holding/embellishing stunt from Nyquist is just classic Red Wings hockey, just like every Brady overthrown ball ends up as pass interference when the Pats receiver grabs the CB's arm and dives to the ground.

Not to take the football analogies too far, but the first thing that came to my mind watching the game was the Seahawks Defense. Just hold and interfere on every single play. You'll get called a couple times a game, but the refs don't have the sack to throw a flag on every single play. Halfway into the game, you've completely moved the baseline of what a penalty is.

It was enraging to watch pick play after pick play, interference, and "accidental" bumps.

The Rangers were the better team last night. If the Wings were forced to play by the same rules as the rest of the league, that game would have been 6-1, and the Rangers would have had 60 SOG.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Pretty entertaining game, too bad it was on NBC.

I think these are two of the better teams in the entire league this season and could be a preview of the ECF.

The Wings were lucky to get the win tonight, as it was nowhere near their best effort. Good goaltending by Howard and some bounces got them the 2 points. They were pretty much out of sync all night. Terrible passing, miss-communication between new linemates and D-pairings, etc... Wings are also down a few players with injury like Helm, Franzen, and Marchenko. Zetterberg didn't do much as he was playing in his first game after missing a few games with a concussion. This was also their first game with new TDL acquisitions Zidlicky and Cole in their lineup, so their lines were jumbled quite a bit in this one. Datsyuk didn't do much, etc... Rangers were the better team last night for stretches, and the Wings carried play for stretches. Overall, the Rangers were better, but the Wings were good enough to steal the extra point in OT.

You'd be making a mistake if you watched that single game and concluded that the Wings aren't a skilled team. They have the number #1 rated power play in the league! That doesn't happen without skill. They can play a lot better than that. Come playoff time, they will be even more dangerous when the roster is expanded and they can bring up guys up like Teemu Pulkkinnen (leading AHL in goals/points). Who was busy scoring another hat trick (his 2nd in last 9 games) in Grand Rapids for the Griffins last night while the Rangers and Wings game was being played. Their are rumors that Franzen may be back soon, another useful big body come playoffs.

Don't think this team is going to be cupcake come playoffs just based off this game.

Last edited:

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
I have a gripe with the refs last night, but that said, it was Jimmy Howard that prevented a Ranger win overall. There were stretches of the game where the Wings couldn't buy their way out of their own zone. McDonagh, minus a couple of gaffes, played a solid game. When the two mistakes committed end up in the net, we tend to overlook the rest of the game, it's natural. I, too, am concerned about MSL. Just hoping that he turns it up a notch in the POs. Remember the 19 or so regular season games he played last year, we were worried as hell over his lack of goal production. We then saw the MSL we knew come playoff time. I'd feel better if we didn't have to hope for that this year, though. The faceoffs, again, could have been better.

Bigger picture, Montreal and Pittsburgh lost last night out West. Rangers are 2 points behind Habs for 1st in the East with one game in hand right now in early March. We may have a rested Hank back in 2 weeks. Yandle's burst of speed on that Nash breakout that created a 2 on 1 was amazing. It started out as a Nash 1 on 1 breakout, but along comes a teammate down the middle galloping like a thoroughbred and my immediate thought was "What's Hagelin doing on Nash's line?" and then I saw the number and thought "Holy s***!"

Let's keep looking at the positives because if things fall into place, we may be seeing something really special here. Just my opinion.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Also, MSL has been pretty terrible this season. I hope he turns it on for the playoffs and rides off into the sunset, because there's no way I resign him next season, even at a discount. He stands out as a glaring weakness on that line with Stepan and Kreider. That offsides on the 2-on-1 last night was cringe-worthy, and pretty indicative of his overall play this season.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Sheppard is going to help this team. Last night he made 5 or 6 solid plays in D-zone.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
For the most part, everyone had a solid game tonight. Unfortunately, MSL is back to looking entirely pedestrian. Thought he dragged his line down again last night.

Crap way to lose the game on a soft call, but it is what it is. Loath playing the Wings though. I'm amazed with how much interference they get away with. Ran into a goalie who stood on his head as well. Could have, and should have, been 3 or 4 to 1.

I'd go with a 1-3-1 on the PP. Brassard, Stepan, Nash, Kreider and Yandle. Hayes, Miller, Zucc, McD and Boyle on the 2nd. Give MSL a few games off of it.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Strongly disagree that McD had a solid game. Maybe I'm wrong and it was confirmation bias for me after his first couple of mistakes, but I thought he was awful tonight.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Was at the game . I will take the point to tie first but yea Howard stole it. Cam was solid too . 2 good teams

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Sure it is possible that these team will meet again in ECF but in more general terms I think the Eastern conf finally caught up with the West in number of true contenders for the SC. Detroit has as much of a chance as Le Habs or the Bolts (and one should never discount Boston with Rask in goal) and the Rangers will face a tough competition from Isles, Pens or Caps (though IMHO the Rangers should be viewed as favorites).

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Ulf needs to work with Yandle around the house.

He drifts up towards the walls and out of the slot too often and he was partly to blame for the 1st goal against. On one occasion he slid up (not sure if he even realized it or not) towards the left point and completely exposed the slot. Helm was standing right there and had a pass made it through it would have been 1 on 0. Kreider came back but it wouldve been too late.

His reads are off. Sure, its only two games. Im figuring it will take him 10-12 games to get that together. He was a step ahead of that pass on the PP in the slot otherwise thats in the net. He'll get there.

Anyway - really good game from both teams last night. Really good hockey. I thought both teams deserved a point but the Rangers were the better team overall. The calls were **** both ways, what are you going to do...

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Pretty entertaining game, too bad it was on NBC.

I think these are two of the better teams in the entire league this season and could be a preview of the ECF.

The Wings were lucky to get the win tonight, as it was nowhere near their best effort. Good goaltending by Howard and some bounces got them the 2 points. They were pretty much out of sync all night. Terrible passing, miss-communication between new linemates and D-pairings, etc... Wings are also down a few players with injury like Helm, Franzen, and Marchenko. Zetterberg didn't do much as he was playing in his first game after missing a few games with a concussion. This was also their first game with new TDL acquisitions Zidlicky and Cole in their lineup, so their lines were jumbled quite a bit in this one. Datsyuk didn't do much, etc... Rangers were the better team last night for stretches, and the Wings carried play for stretches. Overall, the Rangers were better, but the Wings were good enough to steal the extra point in OT.

You'd be making a mistake if you watched that single game and concluded that the Wings aren't a skilled team. They have the number #1 rated power play in the league! That doesn't happen without skill. They can play a lot better than that. Come playoff time, they will be even more dangerous when the roster is expanded and they can bring up guys up like Teemu Pulkkinnen (leading AHL in goals/points). Who was busy scoring another hat trick (his 2nd in last 9 games) in Grand Rapids for the Griffins last night while the Rangers and Wings game was being played. Their are rumors that Franzen may be back soon, another useful big body come playoffs.

Don't think this team is going to be cupcake come playoffs just based off this game.

How is this the impression you got from reading this thread?

All I see is people saying this could be the ECF and you come in here acting like people are calling the Red Wings cupcakes? What?

If you want to talk about injuries, the Rangers have a pretty significant one, maybe you heard about it.

Not to take the football analogies too far, but the first thing that came to my mind watching the game was the Seahawks Defense. Just hold and interfere on every single play. You'll get called a couple times a game, but the refs don't have the sack to throw a flag on every single play. Halfway into the game, you've completely moved the baseline of what a penalty is.

It was enraging to watch pick play after pick play, interference, and "accidental" bumps.

The Rangers were the better team last night. If the Wings were forced to play by the same rules as the rest of the league, that game would have been 6-1, and the Rangers would have had 60 SOG.

This is actually a great analogy. The refs can't call every infraction committed by the Wings, or else the Rangers would've had 30 power plays. So the standard for what's legal and illegal is changed.

The amount of interference and picks and clogging the lanes with a bump here and there is infuriating to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad