Confirmed with Link: Rangers Claim Roman Hamrlik

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I wouldn't go that far. Hamrlik isn't that mobile on the points, and he more or less plays the far left side at all times. A really good triggerman is a guy who can constantly shift on the points and adjust to the PPQB/Pk positioning...

He doesn't really shoot one timers all that much(not in a position to do so most of the time). He has a booming shot, but its easily contained if pker's stack the left side.

However, Hamrlik is good at driving to the net for rebounds from the left side. If he can draw PKers to stretch the box to the left, that will give wider shooting lanes to Richards/Nash/Del Z on their sides.

Hamrlik's success on the PP will be largely allowing Nash/Richards/Del Z more shooting opportunities. However, if Nash/Richards/Del Z are hesitant to shoot, his presence won't be worth a damn.

If the PP guys just constantly differ to Roman, it will be a mess since he doesn't really move into the high slot or shoot one timers. Hamrlik will shoot though if Pker's are giving him lanes, that is for sure.

My point is we are still going to be reliant on Richards/Del Z in shooting from the high slot. Hamrlik adds a dimension, but he isn't going to be a savior in and of himself...

I definitely think the big problem for our PP is lack of ability to controll the puck under pressure.

PKing units overload extremely hard nowadays. They overload much harder 4 on 5 then you do 5 on 5. You wait for the right situation, put everything on one card to win the puck and clear it the length of the ice. The PP's that are successful are without any single doubt the PP's that you just can't overload on.

I actually think we do some good things on our PP. But they are deprived of any and all confidence because as soon as a pass is a little bit of or a player loose his concentration just a little bit, they are hit by a avalanch of PKers and they can't handle it. They just don't have that string of 2-3 passes they can execute when the PKers launch out on them.

Washington has a great PP this season. Lets say that Bäckström got the puck and a PK unit wants to overload on him a) he as a left shooter can swing the puck to right shooting D in Green who will swing the puck to a right shooter in AO and all of a sudden the two PKers putting pressure on Bäckström and Green are as far from the puck as they can be with 3-4 Cap players behind their back, or b), if the PKers take out Green, and he can't thread a pass throught the box to AO, he can himself skate up towards the blueline, Riberio takes his position as set up man along the boards, Green moves into AO's shooting position and AO goes to the net. Its impossible for a PK unit to take out all 4-5 standard options.

Philly get the same type of triangle as Washington have in AO(R)-Green(R)-Bäckström(L)*-Riberio(L) in Briere(R)-Timmonen(R)-Voracek/Schenn(L) with Giroux(R)* in more of a "joker" position. Pittsburg gets it of course in Neal(R)-Letang(R)-Crosby(L)-Malkin(L). ANA gets it in two units and STL in two units (Pitetrangelo(R)/Shattenkirk(R) in the Green/Letang/Timmon roles).

For us, what can Richards to if a PK unit put pressure on him? Next to him on the left, he got a left shooting D. On the right of him, he either has Gabby who is not good under pressure on the PP, who makes quite many errant passes and so forth, or Nash who also isn't a great playmaker nor that smooth under pressure.

That's just the problem we have. We become unsecure on the PP. We don't have that natrual escape route through a string of 2-3 passes when pressured. If something isn't executed prefectly, we can be pressured. The players we have on the ice have the sticks pointing in the wrong directinos and -- besides Richards -- aren't great at handling the puck under pressure on the PP.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
I wouldn't go that far. Hamrlik isn't that mobile on the points, and he more or less plays the far left side at all times. A really good triggerman is a guy who can constantly shift on the points and adjust to the PPQB/Pk positioning...

He doesn't really shoot one timers all that much(not in a position to do so most of the time). He has a booming shot, but its easily contained if pker's stack the left side.

However, Hamrlik is good at driving to the net for rebounds from the left side. If he can draw PKers to stretch the box to the left, that will give wider shooting lanes to Richards/Nash/Del Z on their sides.

Hamrlik's success on the PP will be largely allowing Nash/Richards/Del Z more shooting opportunities. However, if Nash/Richards/Del Z are hesitant to shoot, his presence won't be worth a damn.

If the PP guys just constantly differ to Roman, it will be a mess since he doesn't really move into the high slot or shoot one timers. Hamrlik will shoot though if Pker's are giving him lanes, that is for sure.

My point is we are still going to be reliant on Richards/Del Z in shooting from the high slot. Hamrlik adds a dimension, but he isn't going to be a savior in and of himself...
i might be thinking of somebody else lol

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I definitely think the big problem for our PP is lack of ability to controll the puck under pressure.

PKing units overload extremely hard nowadays. They overload much harder 4 on 5 then you do 5 on 5. You wait for the right situation, put everything on one card to win the puck and clear it the length of the ice. The PP's that are successful are without any single doubt the PP's that you just can't overload on.

I actually think we do some good things on our PP. But they are deprived of any and all confidence because as soon as a pass is a little bit of or a player loose his concentration just a little bit, they are hit by a avalanch of PKers and they can't handle it. They just don't have that string of 2-3 passes they can execute when the PKers launch out on them.

Washington has a great PP this season. Lets say that Bäckström got the puck and a PK unit wants to overload on him a) he as a left shooter can swing the puck to right shooting D in Green who will swing the puck to a right shooter in AO and all of a sudden the two PKers putting pressure on Bäckström and Green are as far from the puck as they can be with 3-4 Cap players behind their back, or b), if the PKers take out Green, and he can't thread a pass throught the box to AO, he can himself skate up towards the blueline, Riberio takes his position as set up man along the boards, Green moves into AO's shooting position and AO goes to the net. Its impossible for a PK unit to take out all 4-5 standard options.

Philly get the same type of triangle as Washington have in AO(R)-Green(R)-Bäckström(L)*-Riberio(L) in Briere(R)-Timmonen(R)-Voracek/Schenn(L) with Giroux(R)* in more of a "joker" position. Pittsburg gets it of course in Neal(R)-Letang(R)-Crosby(L)-Malkin(L). ANA gets it in two units and STL in two units (Pitetrangelo(R)/Shattenkirk(R) in the Green/Letang/Timmon roles).

For us, what can Richards to if a PK unit put pressure on him? Next to him on the left, he got a left shooting D. On the right of him, he either has Gabby who is not good under pressure on the PP, who makes quite many errant passes and so forth, or Nash who also isn't a great playmaker nor that smooth under pressure.

That's just the problem we have. We become unsecure on the PP. We don't have that natrual escape route through a string of 2-3 passes when pressured. If something isn't executed prefectly, we can be pressured. The players we have on the ice have the sticks pointing in the wrong directinos and -- besides Richards -- aren't great at handling the puck under pressure on the PP.

Actually, I would say the biggest problem as of lately is zone penetration. We are horrendous entering the zone on the PP. We can move the puck alright if we can gain the zone and set up.

I think the big issue is mainly indecisiveness, and lack of confidence in shooting from angles or up high..

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Slow as ****. Veteran presence though so he could help when we have injuries.

Dorado*

Problem with PP is Richards . The guy has regressed and is a 3C At this point . Minute he got hurt 2 PP goals than another the next game . He's second unit PP material now .
What's that definition of insanity
" DOING THE SAME THING OVE AND OVER AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS "
the quicker te NYR management realize the Pulled another Redden the better . You can't have Brad and Marian playing poor at same time . Meanwhile all the you g guys are stepping up lately .
Buy out this wreck , shop Gaborik and bring in a solid RW who competes and plays the way the coach wants and move on .

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Problem with PP is Richards . The guy has regressed and is a 3C At this point . Minute he got hurt 2 PP goals than another the next game . He's second unit PP material now .
What's that definition of insanity
" DOING THE SAME THING OVE AND OVER AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS "
the quicker te NYR management realize the Pulled another Redden the better . You can't have Brad and Marian playing poor at same time . Meanwhile all the you g guys are stepping up lately .
Buy out this wreck , shop Gaborik and bring in a solid RW who competes and plays the way the coach wants and move on .

The PP has sucked for years and they've constantly been bringing in players to "fix" the pp with little or nothing to show for it. Blaming the PP issues on one player makes very little sense even if it has produced better in the very small sample size that is his absence. The problem with the PP is coaching and the way it's set up.

As for Richards regressing I (as everyone would) agree that he has had a terrible season, but he's been better the last few games. He actually started to look like a first line center again before the Kaleta hit. I'm not writing him off just yet.

In all honesty, I'm just expecting a more physical McCabe.

Thought sprung to mind. I don't think he can do a whole lot for this team. Still, he's bound to be better than Bickel.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I like the pick up quite a bit. I haven't seen him play this year, so if he has eroded badly then this costs no hockey assets outside of a mid season cap hit. I thought he was very good in the series last year, and was a rock solid top 4 defensemen during his time with Cal. and Mon.

But given the age, and that he's played only 4 games since the playoffs, his legs might not be there, but then again he might be fresh for a late season run for the cup at the end of his career.

The best thing that this does is give the no 6 defensemen (a need since Sauer's injury) that can give mins and play different roles. Hamr on the 2nd unit PK means Torts can come back with Richie, Gabby, Nash, and two of our thoroughbreds on the back-end the shift after; using the PK as a way of gaining momentum back.

Also Washington is being run by their coach who wants a high flying system. Under Hunter, playing a similar style to the Rangers, Hamr was pretty effective on WSH top pair last season, has a history with Slats, and has been a solid pro for 20 years.

Now Emmy, Gilly, and Bicks get to be the Black Aces. Torts does not want any player on the roster that he has to play sheltered mins. And not all guys can bring it every night.

BTW my gut feeling is that Stralman will benefit greatly with Hamr.

McD-G
Staalsy-DZ
Hamr-Stralsy

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I was thinking that wth Stralman as well. Instead of him being with a completely useless D man in Bickel, Hamr is somewhat serviceable

MSG the place to be*

Ola nailed it. You need players on the PP to be able to handle the pressure and switch the field as they say in soccer. Richards has been brutal at it this year but his skill set still suggests that he can snap out of the funk. Gaborik on the other hand is just not capable. He can be on the receiving end of the switch but he can't initiate to save his live. He just doesnt have the mechanics to be able to dodge or ward off an oncoming defender to move the puck.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I was thinking that wth Stralman as well. Instead of him being with a completely useless D man in Bickel, Hamr is somewhat serviceable

Yeah, Hamr was great covering up for Green, and Subban the last few years, which leads me to wonder how much of his game has really declined, and how much is it about the WSH's system, and rift between the ardent PA reps in WSH (Laich, Poti).

Can't say we'll know until we see it, but I'm confident Hamr-Stralsy can match up against 3rd and 4th lines at even strength just fine.

The power play has been coming around, don't think Hamr will be a factor there. But having 6 defensemen that can play an entire game is a huge plus. Next step is shoring up some depth and utility on the 4th line RW.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I'll give two hints.

1) His cousin (who shares the same last name) is arguably the better known player.

2) He only played one game for the Rangers. And scored a goal.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
When Hamrlik plays he will become the 8th former #1 overall pick to play for the Rangers. Name the other 7.

Nash, Daigle, Berard, Joe Murphy and his wet skate?, Lindros, La Fleur? Dionne? Pretty sure Park wasn't 1st overall.

Crap.

I give up. My brain is going to explode.

Edit: I have no idea why I thought Joe Murphy was a Ranger. Who the hell am I think of?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad