Confirmed with Link: Rangers claim F Jake Leschyshyn

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I can't stop laughing at the bolded. I read the thread and a few commented on his skating or lack there of. I went online and found some scouting reports. Two total opposites!

Future Considerations Scouting Reports:
“Two-way center that works hard with and without the puck on his stick, Leschyshyn plays with a competitive edge and battles hard for loose pucks, displays excellent vision with the puck and can dish the puck to teammates for scoring opportunities, works well off the cycle; understands the game well.” – Brandon Holmes, Riding Pine Hockey

“A hard working center who is solid in both zones and a physical presence with or without the puck, using his momentum to bowl over the opposition…has good touch with the puck…skating ability just screams power as he forcefully skates like a bullet shot out of rifle maximizing each stride…has the quickness and tools to be an effective in transition…makes adjustments to protect the puck…loves to shoot the puck and can quickly gather pucks and whistle them on net…has good vision of the ice…lives for the lower half of the o-zone where space is tight and he can quickly pivot to a lane for a quick chance…compete is ratcheted to 10 on every play and he goes all out…all over the ice putting pressure on the forecheck before coming all the way back to support in his teams zone…has the compete to get into shot lanes and make tough plays on the boards…IQ also allows him to recognize plays that he can make to impact opponents chances…never seems to be static on the ice…relentless motor…will likely play pro as he has the work ethic and smarts to play a bottom six role at the very least. (November 2016)” –

REDLINE
Jake Leschyshun — Regina LC
Got stronger on his edges with every viewing, adding great agility and lateral explosiveness, but unfortunately missed second half with leg injury. A super pest who plays with a chip on his shoulder, constantly finishing his checks and initiating on the forecheck. Tremendous second effort below the circles in offensive zone, teammates rely on the fact that he will win battles. Great at quick-strike counterattacks in transition through the neutral zone. Patient in tight waiting out goaltenders and regularly showing mature pass-shoot decisions. Loves to skate with the puck and his passes on the move always find the target. Majority of his chances come around the crease, crashing the net to create traffic for screens. Has shown impressive hand/eye coordination on deflections out of midair. Disrupts opponents’ rhythm in all three zones. Not hard to imagine him in an NHL energy role someday.
Projection: 3rd/4th line character centre on contending team.

• Haha
Reactions: Circus86

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Sometimes guy need a change of scenery. Obviously things had stagnated for Leschyshyn. Maybe he figures something out in a new organization. I'm not holding my breath, but it's a lottery ticket on a guy who's cheap and controllable and only a few years back was considered to be a potential solid two-way center.

If he sucks as bad as it seems, I'm sure they'll waive him and go find someone else.
This exactly. A change of scenery could do wonders for him. Who knows, could have been stuck in a mental rut in the Vegas organization.

Also with the way everyone is ripping on him here, you can all but guarantee he scores in his first game with the Rangers. Id bet the farm

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This exactly. A change of scenery could do wonders for him. Who knows, could have been stuck in a mental rut in the Vegas organization.

Also with the way everyone is ripping on him here, you can all but guarantee he scores in his first game with the Rangers. Id bet the farm
I think it's also worth considering that Vegas has been one of the best teams in the league since they joined. They're an excellent organization. So what does this move say? It says that they decided to move on, or were at least willing to gamble on him clearing waivers. So maybe Vegas, who clearly knows what they're doing, is right to move on from this guy who sucks.

At the same time, they held onto this kid for close to six years and saw fit to play him 60+ games in a season and a half. They obviously saw something that made them comfortable sending him out there as often as they did. There was something about him that they liked enough to hold onto, when--if what I'm seeing here is correct--basically everyone in the league is better.

So, I will be the optimist, focus on the second part of the equation, and hope that we can tap into whatever Vegas saw in him over the past six years. Worst case scenario, he sucks and makes an appearance in the 2032 version of the "Let's Remember Some Guys" thread.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Gallant was with Vegas when they drafted him. He was there untill 2020 so must have seen something in that timeframe that he liked there.

Kid is scrappy. Ill give him that. Maybe they want a guy that can drop the mitts and stir it up a bit?

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the hand-wringing here seems disproportionate for a deep-depth, bottom of the roster guy
zero risk flyer, on a 13th F type,
only 23, once deemed promising, IMHO prefer him than a late-20's+ guy like Carp

til we know how soon Kreider will return, why not?
will re-waive him if useless

AHL affiliate had been struggling, has numerous F's out hurt (Rydahl, Getts, Smith, Khodo)
Playing better lately, but no obvious callup there, and why make their situation worse?

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Frk?

Hopefully he can help Hartford with some scoring in the back half of the season

hahah great call...wonder how many games itd take this guy to actually match his vowel total in points

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the issue is I don't think they're going to re-waive him if he's useless

when the Rangers get useless players, it's for a reason. they stick to experiments much, much longer than they should several times.

I'll believe "he'll be Hartford depth" when I see it. We have good reason to believe that's not the case.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think it's also worth considering that Vegas has been one of the best teams in the league since they joined. They're an excellent organization. So what does this move say? It says that they decided to move on, or were at least willing to gamble on him clearing waivers. So maybe Vegas, who clearly knows what they're doing, is right to move on from this guy who sucks.

At the same time, they held onto this kid for close to six years and saw fit to play him 60+ games in a season and a half. They obviously saw something that made them comfortable sending him out there as often as they did. There was something about him that they liked enough to hold onto, when--if what I'm seeing here is correct--basically everyone in the league is better.

So, I will be the optimist, focus on the second part of the equation, and hope that we can tap into whatever Vegas saw in him over the past six years. Worst case scenario, he sucks and makes an appearance in the 2032 version of the "Let's Remember Some Guys" thread.
Vegas with 48 contracts even after this,
w 5 guys on LTIR and 2 on IR,
0 waiver-exempt F's on healthy roster
Teams have made riskier waiver exposures under less desperate situations (...Preds/Poile/Tolvinen)

Reactions: Lion Hound

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Makes sense. Hartford has injuries but they are finally playing better. Might not want to mess with their flow. We once gave up on a young player that everyone said was the worse player in the NHL. Now he is a good piece for the bottom line of the Knights.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I can't stop laughing at the bolded. I read the thread and a few commented on his skating or lack there of. I went online and found some scouting reports. Two total opposites!

Future Considerations Scouting Reports:
“Two-way center that works hard with and without the puck on his stick, Leschyshyn plays with a competitive edge and battles hard for loose pucks, displays excellent vision with the puck and can dish the puck to teammates for scoring opportunities, works well off the cycle; understands the game well.” – Brandon Holmes, Riding Pine Hockey

“A hard working center who is solid in both zones and a physical presence with or without the puck, using his momentum to bowl over the opposition…has good touch with the puck…skating ability just screams power as he forcefully skates like a bullet shot out of rifle maximizing each stride…has the quickness and tools to be an effective in transition…makes adjustments to protect the puck…loves to shoot the puck and can quickly gather pucks and whistle them on net…has good vision of the ice…lives for the lower half of the o-zone where space is tight and he can quickly pivot to a lane for a quick chance…compete is ratcheted to 10 on every play and he goes all out…all over the ice putting pressure on the forecheck before coming all the way back to support in his teams zone…has the compete to get into shot lanes and make tough plays on the boards…IQ also allows him to recognize plays that he can make to impact opponents chances…never seems to be static on the ice…relentless motor…will likely play pro as he has the work ethic and smarts to play a bottom six role at the very least. (November 2016)” –

REDLINE
Jake Leschyshun — Regina LC
Got stronger on his edges with every viewing, adding great agility and lateral explosiveness, but unfortunately missed second half with leg injury. A super pest who plays with a chip on his shoulder, constantly finishing his checks and initiating on the forecheck. Tremendous second effort below the circles in offensive zone, teammates rely on the fact that he will win battles. Great at quick-strike counterattacks in transition through the neutral zone. Patient in tight waiting out goaltenders and regularly showing mature pass-shoot decisions. Loves to skate with the puck and his passes on the move always find the target. Majority of his chances come around the crease, crashing the net to create traffic for screens. Has shown impressive hand/eye coordination on deflections out of midair. Disrupts opponents’ rhythm in all three zones. Not hard to imagine him in an NHL energy role someday.
Projection: 3rd/4th line character centre on contending team.

Worst skater in the sense of "non-goalie player", not in the sense of "worst skating ability". That would be Blais.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
the issue is I don't think they're going to re-waive him if he's useless

when the Rangers get useless players, it's for a reason. they stick to experiments much, much longer than they should several times.

I'll believe "he'll be Hartford depth" when I see it. We have good reason to believe that's not the case.
Yeah he's definitely not here for Hartford. I mean he may end up there down the road if we waive him and this time he goes unclaimed, but clearly in the now, he's here to play for the Rangers.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Seems like the prototypical pesky player. Drury type of a player. At least when Drury addressed the media a couple years ago that was what he wanted to bring in.

Eveything i read seems to indicate lunchpail player.

Some more on him.

H00fHearted

Jun 20, 2018
This makes me a bit worried about Kreider and Goat. Because it smells to me like the team needs a warm body for a few games and doesn't want to bring up a kid who isn't ready or a depth piece that would need to clear waivers to return to Hartford.

Basically a spare tire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad