Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Capitals Game 3 5/4/15 7:30pm (MOD WARNING POST #2 ALL DC & NY FANS READ)

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Remember early in the year and before the season when everyone was afraid of not having center depth or the ability to win a large amount of faceoffs. Last night Kuzy was our worst faceoff man and he was at 64%. Think center depth went from an extreme concern to extreme depth in one season. On top of that on of our centers has been hurt this series and last. Love it!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
"Must win" and "elimination" are not always the same in sports. It's well-known that there's plenty of allowance for the "must win" label in any game that, if lost, makes things disproportionately or significantly harder. See also: digging a hole, behind the eight ball, etc. None of those terms are taken literally.

To me Must Win=Have to Win. Any game they lose, they make it harder for themselves than if they win, but losing game 4 leaves them in a best of 3 series. If he preaches must win and they lose, what does he preach next? Must win is not to be taken just about literally? Must win=it would be better to win?

Realistically speaking, the Caps need only make sure the Rangers don't win two games in a row.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Explain to me how many MUST WIN games you get in a best of 7 games series? Calling this a must win game is hype. I always gauge these things by where you are if you lose that must win game.

To me Must Win=Have to Win. Any game they lose, they make it harder for themselves than if they win, but losing game 4 leaves them in a best of 3 series. If he preaches must win and they lose, what does he preach next?

Realistically speaking, the Caps need only make sure the Rangers don't win two games in a row.

It's called falling short and it shouldn't be the end of the world. I don't think they're so stupid that they would fail to understand the turn of phrase and its emphasis on cranking up the "urgency" we hear so much about. This is a team that needs to feel that urgency. Tip-toeing around semantics of "must win" and worrying about hurt feelings afterward accomplishes nothing to that end. The alternative is "would like to win" and that never works for this group.

The goal is to instill a sense that EVERY game is "must win" and if you fail you gave it your best shot and the next game is even more winnable because you will find the next gear. If you win then you're one step closer to your goal BUT you don't allow yourself to get complacent. It's not difficult.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Remember early in the year and before the season when everyone was afraid of not having center depth or the ability to win a large amount of faceoffs. Last night Kuzy was our worst faceoff man and he was at 64%. Think center depth went from an extreme concern to extreme depth in one season. On top of that on of our centers has been hurt this series and last. Love it!

I'm so impressed at Kuzy's ability to learn, and learn quickly at that. This kid is going to be special.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Lets pump the brakes here.

The Rangers are not a good face off team I don't believe. They were sub 50% this year and are like 45% in the playoffs overall.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the caps center depth problems eased significantly when Kuznetsov became a serious player at center. If Fehr is playing, the Caps look pretty strong down the middle. Things swing pretty drastically to the Caps trying to convert two wingers to second line center another wing as a 3rd line center and only Beagle and Latta after that.

Since then Beagle has taken a good step up in quality of play and Kuz has established as a game breaker. Fehr is solid at 3. Suddenly the Caps center depth isn't a joke

Apr 6, 2004
I'm so impressed at Kuzy's ability to learn, and learn quickly at that. This kid is going to be special.

Agreed. Both he and Bura need to bulk up but in the right way. Would love to know how the organization helps in that scenario given they're away from the team for a while. I liked hearing how many guys would show up to Kettler on their own accord in the Summer months.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Well, I took just the part that supported my position. He also said it was luck. He also said he was trying to wrap it around, which is an odd thing to say considering he didn't even come close to getting his stick around.

I'm still gonna say he was trying to bounce it in off the back of the goalie's leg.

I think I heard him say he was trying to get the puck on the net, which is a wrap around. He scored on a wrap around... attempt. Close enough!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Lets pump the brakes here.

The Rangers are not a good face off team I don't believe. They were sub 50% this year and are like 45% in the playoffs overall.

They are still rather easily better than Tampa, and about similar as Montreal in terms of playoffs.

The real problem in that regard doesn't come before SCF if Chicago or Anaheim wins the West.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
They are still rather easily better than Tampa, and about similar as Montreal in terms of playoffs.

The real problem in that regard doesn't come before SCF if Chicago or Anaheim wins the West.

Speaking of the west....alot of people are automatically crowning either Anaheim or Chicago the SC winner.

The Caps have owned those teams over the last few years and match up favorably with them.

The team that was their nemisis in the playoffs was the LA Kings. We play like the Kings and are big and heavy like them and that style is effective.

Caps biggest test IMO is to come out against the Rangers. I believe the Caps match up favorably with the Bolts and Habs too.

To me the winner of this series is going to win the SC this year.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I can't wait to see more of Yandle and Boyle. It is no where near the playoffs worst pairing of all time, Wideman and Sarge, but along those lines.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Well, Rangers do a pretty good job shielding defensive shortcomings. Caps rarely put enough pressure on to really expose somebody.

I am hoping the 3rd line can play with more energy/confidence. There were glimmers of it yesterday.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The goal is to instill a sense that EVERY game is "must win" and if you fail you gave it your best shot and the next game is even more winnable because you will find the next gear. If you win then you're one step closer to your goal BUT you don't allow yourself to get complacent. It's not difficult.

I see. so EVERY game is a must win. I am probably wrong, but the guys posted that trotz had to sell g4 as a must win game couldn't have meant that.

But ok. EVERY game is a must win. Next?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I see. so EVERY game is a must win. I am probably wrong, but the guys posted that trotz had to sell g4 as a must win game couldn't have meant that.

But ok. EVERY game is a must win. Next?

Once again you've oversimplified what someone has said and changed it into something they didn't say. There's no need to paraphrase what I wrote to distill it into something else. It's right there in black and white for you to read and think about.

Adanac

Dec 15, 2013
Ovechkin presence is so amazing. Every time they see him coming, they are trying to get rid of the puck as soon as possible and that have created a number of turnovers.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I love all the posters thinking that Fehr will be some sort of savior or even a boon...

You saw the last couple months of the season, right?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I love all the posters thinking that Fehr will be some sort of savior or even a boon...

You saw the last couple months of the season, right?

My guess is he was playing injured.

I don't want him back unless he is close to 100%.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
If they haven't come after Mike Green, you think they will come after anyone?

Thats not the type of game they play. They don't like hitting, they don't like physicality. Its as finesse a team as it gets. The AV special.

Someone forgot to tell Kreider that. He was impressive last night with his physical game. Hit anyone and anything in sight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad