Rangers Buying Out Shattenkirk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Would like to bring him in maybe something like 2 years 8 mill. 4 mill AAV. Gives us the ability to move green at the deadline. The guy is still a good puck mover and for our young forwards that’s what we need for them to develop.

DK- Hronek
Cholo- Green
Nemeth- Shatty
Bowey

It’s not a bad d- core and if guys like mccisac, lindstrom, Kaski, sieder, etc prove that they are ready after next year it just allows us to move nemeth, shatty, Bowey, etc for help up front, prospects, or picks.

2 year deal for him at 4 AAV makes sense to me and should to him in terms of trying to boost his value as on the Wings he would get opportunity to prove he is still a top 2-4 dman because the d-core is so weak.
Rangers just pay him not to play with them and you like to give him 4 mil per?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Still a good passer with decent vision but that's about it. Think Kronwall the last few years. Is that enough to help the Wings? I mean maybe a little, but yeah, not much to get excited about with him.

I think that’s fair, but I feel like we have so many guys clogging up the bottom 3 spots at this point, I don’t super see the point. I think if we signed him for no more than two years for less than 3 mil, I’d be willing to give it a shot, I guess.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
on a short term deal sure I guess there's probably enough trade potential there to be worth it if Kronwalls gone

but if he's willing to take that why not just go to a better team with more talent around him? he'll probably come out of it looking better even if he gets less ice time

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He has value at minimum salary just as Shattenkirk.

I doubt Shattenkirk has to take a figure that low though. I guess we will see, but I mean Corey Perry didn't sign for the league minimum. My guess is while his buyout could allow him to look at a super contender offer for one year like if Tampa frees him a spot for a million, he should be able to do a little better than that in my opinion.

A part of Shattenkirk was his injury in terms of his decline, I would be curious what he would allow teams access to in order to make a decision on him. Have they fixed his lower body problems or not with the latest procedure has to be a part of this. I assume well enough since he was bought out, but still I wonder what kind of access teams will get to his medical info when evaluating this decision.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't think he is done, I think if a team already had a legit #1 who can play in his own end, that Shattenkirk can play alongside the top pair and do quite well. He did well in St. Louis cause they had great depth, the Rangers did not, and he got over-exposed. A team like Tampa is probably a great fit with Hedman if they can make the money work.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
1 year 4.5 million with the agreement he will likely be moved at the TDL. May not be good term but if he’s confident he can regain his game it may entice him since prob wouldnt get that much for one year anywhere else.

If he’s a 35-45 point d both him and green could possibly be moved for late firsts this tdl. Maybe he wont be that good, but wven if we get a 2nd and third i dont mind it at all. waive daley if need be

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not super keen on it but I'd bring him in on a 1 year with the idea of moving him at the TDL for something.

I guess money isn't a huge deal on a 1 year contract. I think Red Wings could trade him away to a contender though and get a good haul for him.

When I think about him personally I have no idea why he's sign here. Nashville/Tampa/Winnipeg maybe even Chicago/New Jersey are better options for him on a 1 year deal to play for a new contract. He'll get ice time with the Wings or any other lesser teams but those type of teams above can make him look good, netting a bigger contract in the offseason, while playing for a cup or at least with a cup contender for a season before cashing in, again.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
1 year 4.5 million with the agreement he will likely be moved at the TDL. May not be good term but if he’s confident he can regain his game it may entice him since prob wouldnt get that much for one year anywhere else.

If he’s a 35-45 point d both him and green could possibly be moved for late firsts this tdl. Maybe he wont be that good, but wven if we get a 2nd and third i dont mind it at all. waive daley if need be

I'd be surprised if Shattenkirk has that high of a TDL rental price. He has an almost identical resume to Vanek when he first signed with Detroit:

-Notably underwhelming trade deadline rental
-Then signs with his #1 UFA destination
-Doesn't meet expectations with that team
-Is bought out after 2 years of the deal
*Shattenkirk is here*

to continue for Vanek:
-Signs with a non contender for 1 year
-Seems to have rebounded
-Fans and Insiders think the team can get a 1st rounder for him
-He fetches a 3rd and a throw in minor league Dman
-Underwhelms as a deadline rental again
-Signs with another non contender for 1 year
-Looks like he's rebounded again
-Fans and insiders think he'll get more this time
-Fetches a bottom 6 prospect and a warm body vet that's cleared waivers

Considering that, it wouldn't surprise me if teams similarly won't want to spend decent assets to bring in Shattenkirk as a rental, regardless of how he rebounds. Then again, a 3rd or 4th is better than nothing...

Reactions: Gniwder

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'd be surprised if Shattenkirk has that high of a TDL rental price. He has an almost identical resume to Vanek when he first signed with Detroit:

*Shattenkirk is here*

to continue for Vanek:
-Seems to have rebounded

Considering that, it wouldn't surprise me if teams similarly won't want to spend decent assets to bring in Shattenkirk as a rental, regardless of how he rebounds. Then again, a 3rd or 4th is better than nothing...

The other thing is, apparently nobody was barging down Detroit's door for Mike Green 2 years ago.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wouldn't shock me if Shattenkirk doesn't wind up in Tampa, Though Brisebois will need to do some shuffling here.

If I am him, I sign a low money deal in Tampa, they can insulate him and they actually could use someone with his skill set on the right hand side. Keep more of your low money deal without taxes, but we will see what he does.

There were rumors Tampa was interested in him at last year’s deadline. A lot of folks were surprised by it but Tampa had been shite on the PP for long stretches in the previous year’s playoffs so I suspect that created the interest.

If I were Shatty, I’d go for TB too.

AS for him in Detroit, I’d be fine with it for 1 year @3.5 or so with no trade restrictions. Then ship him off at 50% retention at the TDL for picks.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There were rumors Tampa was interested in him at last year’s deadline. A lot of folks were surprised by it but Tampa had been ****e on the PP for long stretches in the previous year’s playoffs so I suspect that created the interest.

If I were Shatty, I’d go for TB too.

AS for him in Detroit, I’d be fine with it for 1 year @3.5 or so with no trade restrictions. Then ship him off at 50% retention at the TDL for picks.

I want us to start getting away from "hey, let's sign this guy for no other reason than we can flip him for a mid-round pick.

Let's try to sign guys who will actually provide value to the Red Wings by their play, not by what we can sucker some other team into paying us for.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

*Shattenkirk is here*

to continue for Vanek:
-Seems to have rebounded

Vanek is somewhat of a poor example.

During his first stint in Detroit he had a nearly 75% offensive zone start. That level of protection is pretty much unheard of in the NHL. Indeed that was the best bit of coaching Blashill had ever done in the NHL. Take into account has reputation of a defensive liability (100% warrented), any team with at least 1 analytics guy on staff would be throwing a massive warning on the guy.

Not many playoff teams are interested in paying a premium to add a premier defensive liability for a cup run.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The other thing is, apparently nobody was barging down Detroit's door for Mike Green 2 years ago.
Because he wound up with a neck injury before Holland could sell him. IIRC, Holland was waiting for the best offer possible, trade deadline was Feb 26th and Green got injured on the 15th.

But there is some validity to your point, neither Green nor Shatty are known to be playoff performers, both were underwhelming as Caps.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Because he wound up with a neck injury before Holland could sell him. IIRC, Holland was waiting for the best offer possible, trade deadline was Feb 26th and Green got injured on the 15th.

But there is some validity to your point, neither Green nor Shatty are known to be playoff performers, both were underwhelming as Caps.

Even before the injury there wasn't a lot of fire around Mike Green.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Even before the injury there wasn't a lot of fire around Mike Green.
I think Holland was asking for too much, he must start with a high ask, I mean look at what he got for Smith and Tats. As the deadline gets closer, you reduce the ask... I don't think he ever got to that point with Green. I'm sure he could have fetched a 2nd that year. With his injuries and liver issues, I think we'd be lucky to get a 3rd this season. Likewise Shatty should fetch a 2nd as a rental unless he has a total crap season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would have taken a flyer on him, but oh well.

At this point we really should be targeting a LD. I would make adding Krug or Brodie a top priority over this next year. Have heard a a lot of buzz about how we have huge interest in Krug.

Getting Krug and Hronek on our power play would be pretty big in getting this team back to a playoff team, IMO.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would have taken a flyer on him, but oh well.

At this point we really should be targeting a LD. I would make adding Krug or Brodie a top priority over this next year. Have heard a a lot of buzz about how we have huge interest in Krug.

Getting Krug and Hronek on our power play would be pretty big in getting this team back to a playoff team, IMO.

josi or bust! :popcorn:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Potentially sign with a rebuilding Detroit team that is years away or sign with perhaps the prohibitive SC favorite going into this season.

Must have been an excruciating decision for him

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Vanek is somewhat of a poor example.

During his first stint in Detroit he had a nearly 75% offensive zone start. That level of protection is pretty much unheard of in the NHL. Indeed that was the best bit of coaching Blashill had ever done in the NHL. Take into account has reputation of a defensive liability (100% warrented), any team with at least 1 analytics guy on staff would be throwing a massive warning on the guy.

Not many playoff teams are interested in paying a premium to add a premier defensive liability for a cup run.

I hope it doesn't play out with quite the same split, but Blashill's ability to weaponize AA home versus the road looks like coaching work as well.

Much more productive at home (20 goals, 35 points, plus-8) than on road (10 goals, 19 points, minus-17)

Red Wings’ Andreas Athanasiou emerges as consistent scoring threat

On Shattenkirk, this is a good piece of business by Tampa and likely him. I think his decline is more heavily tied to the injury he finally went under the knife for. Now assuming his health does bounce back and that is sometimes an if, he is a very nice fit for them. Tough day for Toronto fans, looks like another year of no Conference finals....:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00