Rangers Buying Out Shattenkirk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Kind of think the report is out on Shattenkirk, and that report is basically stating that he needs a whole lot of insulation to play to his peak value. The D depth in St Louis has always helped him; during the brief time in Washington, the Caps had the firepower up front and the depth on the blueline to insulate him.

He cashed in big with the Rangers and they had nothing substantial to help him. I fear the Wings have even less. Not interested in locking up cap space that we are just about to free up on a 30+ defenseman in need of insulation. After this year, I think we could see the full time graduation of Cholowski, Seider, McIsaac, and possibly Lindstrom. No need to create a log jam.

Reactions: Oddbob

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Would like to bring him in maybe something like 2 years 8 mill. 4 mill AAV. Gives us the ability to move green at the deadline. The guy is still a good puck mover and for our young forwards that’s what we need for them to develop.

DK- Hronek
Cholo- Green
Nemeth- Shatty
Bowey

It’s not a bad d- core and if guys like mccisac, lindstrom, Kaski, sieder, etc prove that they are ready after next year it just allows us to move nemeth, shatty, Bowey, etc for help up front, prospects, or picks.

2 year deal for him at 4 AAV makes sense to me and should to him in terms of trying to boost his value as on the Wings he would get opportunity to prove he is still a top 2-4 dman because the d-core is so weak.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If I am him, I sign a low money deal in Tampa, they can insulate him and they actually could use someone with his skill set on the right hand side. Keep more of your low money deal without taxes, but we will see what he does.

Reactions: Winger98

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I would think he'd want to sign with a contender and I'm not really interested in adding another 30+ year-old defenseman with injury troubles unless we can move one out.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I think I'd just pass. I know Green is always hurt, which opens up PP minutes when that is the case. But for now I'd rather give heavy minutes to Hronek and Cholowski.

There will be players available next year that can be added once half the D are off the books and there's a better sense of where the prospects are at.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, an affordable 2 year deal would be just fine. Nothing longer than 2 though. Let him find his game for a season and a half and then move to a contender for some rebuilding assets.

And this would only be because they know Kronwall isn't returning, or if he is, it's because they plan on moving Daley or they know Ericsson or Daley are leaning toward LTIRetirement.

The bonus would be that on a two year, he would give the team some insurance for next summer, just in case Yzerman gets hurt on some piece of office furniture or the phone in Ken Hollands old office and has some Spiderman like transformation into him and decides he needs to panic sign some vets to expensive longterm deals if/when Green, Daley, Ericsson and/or Kronwall (if he returns) are gone and some of the young guys don't look ready to take on big roles on the NHL club.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Only if Ericsson and Daley are off the roster.

Yet another failed overpriced UFA for the Rangers. We'll be adding Panarin and Trouba to the list in a few years too.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The guy is washed. After he had the new surgery, it was game over for him. Pass.

Still a good passer with decent vision but that's about it. Think Kronwall the last few years. Is that enough to help the Wings? I mean maybe a little, but yeah, not much to get excited about with him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's also interesting how Shattenkirk and Backes had at the Blues the highest Power-play Goals/min for multiple seasons few years ago. I think they were the deadliest PP pointman-netfront duo, after Lidström-Holmström retired.

Now both could be bought out....

...and get signed cheap for a secondary marginal role for some contender, to be a threat again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's also interesting how Shattenkirk and Backes had at the Blues the highest Power-play Goals/min for multiple seasons few years ago. I think they were the deadliest PP pointman-netfront duo, after Lidström-Holmström retired.

Now both could be bought out....

...and get signed cheap for a secondary marginal role for some contender, to be a threat again.

I would be pretty surprised if Backes got another NHL contract if he is let go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->