Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Bruins | 1/19/13

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Hey everyone, Jackets fan coming in peace. I just finished watching the replay on gamecenter, and I have a couple thoughts. First off, I thought they played like they could win off skill alone. There are sometimes you can get away with that, but not a lot.

Second, I'm surprised at the amount of praise Nash is getting in the thread. I thought he looked extremely timid, nervous, and uncomfortable. He had a couple flashes of the Nash I grew up knowing, and that convinced me he will begin to dominate once he gets comfortable in New York. Good luck with the rest of the season. I very much enjoyed Anisimov in his first game. :)

Also, Nash's hair is awesome. Thought I was watching him as a 21 year old again. :laugh:

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
Hey everyone, Jackets fan coming in peace. I just finished watching the replay on gamecenter, and I have a couple thoughts. First off, I thought they played like they could win off skill alone. There are sometimes you can get away with that, but not a lot.

Second, I'm surprised at the amount of praise Nash is getting in the thread. I thought he looked extremely timid, nervous, and uncomfortable. He had a couple flashes of the Nash I grew up knowing, and that convinced me he will begin to dominate once he gets comfortable in New York. Good luck with the rest of the season. I very much enjoyed Anisimov in his first game. :)

Also, Nash's hair is awesome. Thought I was watching him as a 21 year old again. :laugh:

You really have 6 d-man that are still better than Tim Erixon?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
How many times do you need this explained to you? No one who thinks Boyle is better suited for the 4th line is bashing Boyle. No one who wants more of an offensive presence on the 3rd line is bashing Boyle. If you're going to have a discussion where you disagree with people, you might want to try harder to understand what they are saying first, and then try to dispute it. It's tiring.

Oh, and to answer your question about who. I'd like Jason Arnott. Daymond Langkow. Hell, I wanted Kyle Brodziak at the deadline last year. I'd even take Dominic Moore, who we can at least see which one of him or Boyle is more effective in that role in a particular game. I'd also take JT Miller, even if it's a little early. But then again, this has all been stated. You just don't pay attention.

Thank you! Some one who actually gets it. So according to this guy Boyle plays a shut down role on a shut down line yet Kreider who needs to prove himself is thrust into that role too. Meanwhile you have Hagelin who has proven himself, and would be better suited on that line than Kreider. I love this message board, you have a different opinion than some one you're a hater and a basher, ****ing teenagers

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

First off as a jackets fan congrats that you won a game because thats pretty rare for your team lol.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You really have 6 d-man that are still better than Tim Erixon?

Sortakinda, yeah. :) There's also the whole consideration of "we believe you can do more defensively; go learn how".
He's definitely at the top of the callup list, tho, and will probably see NHL time eventually.

I didn't get to see the whole NYR game, but I caught bits and pieces after the fact (read: watched every highlight reel I could), and yeah, Nash wasn't exactly in full beastmode. Then again, that kind of varies from game to game; every once in a while he'll just sort of take over and drag the whole team along with him. Can't rely on that, though; we tried to so for years and everybody can see where that's gotten us. ;)

Hope he continues to work out for you guys.

* * *​
First off as a jackets fan congrats that you won a game because thats pretty rare for your team lol.

:ipeace

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Thank you! Some one who actually gets it. So according to this guy Boyle plays a shut down role on a shut down line yet Kreider who needs to prove himself is thrust into that role too. Meanwhile you have Hagelin who has proven himself, and would be better suited on that line than Kreider. I love this message board, you have a different opinion than some one you're a hater and a basher, ****ing teenagers

I just want the record here to show two things.

1. Im certainly no teenager

2. I have zero problem with Chris Kreider playing first line.

What I do have a problem with is people going out of their way to bash Brian Boyle for making the point about Kreider. That move, for me, would have little to do about Kreider's potential and more to do with my opinion hes not yet smart enough or prepared enough to play a complete game.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
You ******** better fully enjoy Anisimov. Was my favorite Ranger and didn't want him moved in any trade. Can't really complain that he was traded for Nash though. Dubinsky on the other hand... Not a fan.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
How many times do you need this explained to you? No one who thinks Boyle is better suited for the 4th line is bashing Boyle. No one who wants more of an offensive presence on the 3rd line is bashing Boyle. If you're going to have a discussion where you disagree with people, you might want to try harder to understand what they are saying first, and then try to dispute it. It's tiring.

Oh, and to answer your question about who. I'd like Jason Arnott. Daymond Langkow. Hell, I wanted Kyle Brodziak at the deadline last year. I'd even take Dominic Moore, who we can at least see which one of him or Boyle is more effective in that role in a particular game. I'd also take JT Miller, even if it's a little early. But then again, this has all been stated. You just don't pay attention.

Explained to me? What? OK fine, so you're not "bashing" Boyle.

You're basically saying that the names above should be playing more minutes than Boyle, which is scary.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Boyle played a good game last night.

Kreider didn't.

Really? Boyle played good? I guess I watched a different game then. He lost most of his face offs, brought too little on offense and couldn't keep his yap shut resulting in a second 2-minute penalty robbing us of any momentum in the 1st period

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Boyle played a good game last night.

Kreider didn't.

We tend to go into discussing names in situations like this, -- but its clear to everyone that our bottom two lines brought nothing to the table last night, and that is IMO really the problem here.

My point is just, the league is pretty watered down at this time and age, and the players we have on these lines can all be decent in their position. I mean, I am sure all of Kreider, Boyle and Pyatt could play on decent 3rd lines in the NHL. The problem is that the three of them together last night didn't look like a decent third line. Boston turned on them very easily and while all three skates well in straight lanes -- none of them turns around in a hurry. None of them is very fast in on the forecheck, especially Kreider struggles to put pressure on D's. None of them is that strong on the puck nor good at getting it up ice.

I wonder if we thought we could get Nash when we signed Pyatt. We lost two very strong players in terms of moving their feets, putting pressure on the puck (dubi) or getting it up ice (AA) who where around 25 y/o. Both Dubi and AA were pretty OK at winning momentum for their teams.

Anyway, I definitely want to see Kreider-Boyle-Pyatt together more. We have only seen them for a very short sample against very tough competition (under very tough circumstances). They certainly have potential to be tough to handle for a D if they can get a hold of the said D.

If they don't work out -- I think we are in a half tough situation. Not necessary as a team as a whole, but from a contender point of view. I am definitely not sold on Callahan's ability to build up perfect chemistry with either Stepan or Gabby either, and without a dominant 2nd line you definitely need a strong third line. Our roster isn't all that flexible.

Some thoughts on how some of our pieces fit, or doesn't fit, into the puzzly:
Ryan Callahan -- I am not sure if we have a good center for him (yet) on the team. Cally thrives best with a good skating center who isn't too ticky tacky with the puck. And Stepan becomes that with Gabby atleast. JT Miller could down the line be a good center for Cally, but besides Richards I think Halpern would fit Cally the best -- but that of course takes major reconstruction of the line up. But truth to be told, I wouldn't be too suprised to see that down the road...

Brad Richards with Rich Nash -- Look, two players like this will need time to learn to play with each other. I think they will find each other, but it will be up and down for some time for sure.

Marian Gaborik -- I think that Marian will be history here in NY maybe sooner rather than later unless he find a way to be a prescense besides scoring goals. I mean, not only is he not much of a prescense besides the times his shots find the net, his game gives away alot of momentum too. Alot of low percentage shots. Half weak puck protection etc. Tough words, yes. But you do not win in the game today if you play alot in your own end. And Gabby just don't contribute from time to time in that equation. He must find ways and develop chemistry with teammates so that his line becomes a line that spends alot of time in the attacking zone. Torts will not want to have Gabs on the roster for 7m per if he doesn't ge that...

MDZ-Marian Gaborik et al. -- It didn't seem like we got much chemistry between our D's and forwards, which is a huge part of a offense. I could remember the exact numbers wrong, but I think Phily Housley assisted Teemu Sellanne twice as many times as the center Teemu played with the year he scored 76 goals. MDZ in his rookie year developed alot of chemistry with Gabby. Last night I didn't count one time where one of our D's actually set up a forward for a scoring chance. That is definitely part of the explanation of why we creates so little.

Our core D is a bit frustrating (McD, Staal and Girardi). They are soooo good, at some stuff. And extremely quite in many areas. Very little hitting. Very little offense. Like none of them ever lands a big hit, Strålman landed the biggest hit of all D's all of last season. None of them is even decent on the PP. Like we aren't talking about no talent stay at home Ds here, but I've never seen any of them take a puck at the blueline, move it side ways and get a open line before blasting a puck on the net. THAT IS NOT THAT HARD TO DO.

Their modestity is part of their strength for sure, because they are extremely solid at what they do well. But a little more in other area's certainly wouldn't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad