Rangers Biggest Draft Booms and Busts Since 2000

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think expectations on draft day should be the criteria of whether someone is a bust or not. Then Ryan Leaf wouldn't be considered a bust.

Leaf was a bust but he wasn't a bad pick on draft day. Same with Yakupov. When you are the consensus no 1, you cannot blame a team for drafting that player. It means everyone else would have done the same in that position

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Lots of different definitions of "bust" in here. In its broadest sense, "bust" means not living up to draft position. That could be the team's fault (e.g. McIlrath), the player's fault (e.g. Brendl), or both.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
But was he on draft day? That's what matters to me. You can make a huge mistake on draft day and it miraculously works out (Scheifele), and you can pick a player not really labeled a bad pick who turns out to be a bust (Jessiman).

Kreider in 2009 was criticized because Schroeder and Josefson were ranked ahead of him. You win some, you lose some. Everyone praises the TBL scouting, but fails to mention Koekkoek and Connolly. At the end of the day, the Rangers scouting hasn't been as bad as some fans think it is

I think you are mixing up 2 concepts here. there is a big difference between a bad draft pick and drafting a bust. judging if a draft pick is good or bad should be based on the info at the time, not hindsight. but being a bust or boom pick is 100% based on hindsight and how that player turned out....everyone in the world thought pavel brendl was going to be a start, so on draft day it wasn't a bad pick but still a massive bust. same can be said about yakapov and countless others.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Is McIlrath really a bust? Dont you have to have a sliver of potential in order to bust by definition? Sanguinetti actually was projected to be good.
i'd say it's more about what actually became of a player relative to expectations. projections of McIlrath mostly had him as a bottom half defenseman who excelled at physicality. he's a bust because he's not an NHL player

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't think expectations on draft day should be the criteria of whether someone is a bust or not. Then Ryan Leaf wouldn't be considered a bust.
Yeah I think there's a difference between a bust and a bad pick. McIlrath is a bad pick, nobody was really able to justify it on draft day, yet he still busted cause he didn't live up to even low expectations. A Ryan Leaf or Kwame Brown or Alex Daigele is a bust but not a bad pick imo

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah I think there's a difference between a bust and a bad pick. McIlrath is a bad pick, nobody was really able to justify it on draft day, yet he still busted cause he didn't live up to even low expectations. A Ryan Leaf or Kwame Brown or Alex Daigele is a bust but not a bad pick imo

That's exactly why I think that the McIlrath pick was worse than the Jessiman pick. The only argument for the Jessiman pick and it's a big one is that if we didn't draft him we had a better shot of drafting an impact player because the draft was so good. But Jessiman, at least I can see in theory us looking for a big guy that has skill potential. With McIlrath we were looking for a player that even at that time had little value, even if he panned out.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have 0 problems with the Sanguenetti pick. It was a good pick at the time and we ended up drafting Fast with one of the picks we acquired in that trade. I think drafting a player at the end of the 1st round like Fast is a pretty good get.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Biggest boom is Hank. Carl Hagelin and Ryan Callahan round out the top 3.
Hugh Jessiman is the biggest bust by a mile. I believe every player picked after him in the first round has had a productive to HOF career.
HATED the McIlrath pick. As well as the Al Montoya pick.
If Lias does not get his act together he will definitely fall into the topthree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad