Rangers Biggest Draft Booms and Busts Since 2000

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
As the 2020 NHL Entry Draft approaches, we decided to examine each team’s best and worst pick since the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. The biggest boom is a player that had the best value relative to where they were selected. Meaning, no one in the first round will be considered a team’s best value pick. However, the biggest bust picks will almost always be in the first round. We will examine each player, why they were picked where they were, and what their NHL career was like. Today, the New York Rangers draft Boom and their Draft Bust.

Here is the article
New York Rangers Biggest Draft Boom and Bust Since 2000 - LWOH

Here is a taste with an HM

Bobby Sanguinetti

The offensive defenceman was taken after a solid season with the Owen Sound Attack of the OHL. He collected 51 assists in that campaign. Sanguinetti spent most of this time in the AHL with the Rangers organization in Hartford. He made his way to the Hurricanes organization and finally scored his first NHL goal while with the Canes in the 2012-13 season.

The playmaker did make the AHL All-Star Game three times and won a Calder Cup with the Charlotte Checkers in 2019. However, he never seemed to get sustained time in the NHL. He’s also played in the KHL and German league.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Al Montoya had a decent NHL career as a backup for a period of time. I liked the idea of McIlrath better--I like tough players but he turned into a worse pick than Montoya IMO. Part of it wasn't Dylan's fault--that kneecap displacement courtesy of Kyle Jean hurt his development badly. I remember him saying it took like 2 1/2-3 years to get over it and he played through much of that time and those were the first years of his pro career which are huge. Still in retrospect it was the wrong choice to make at that time.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sanguinetti wasn't a reach like McIlrath but he was still a huge bust, never played for the Rangers PLUS the very next pick was Claude Giroux. McIlrath was a worse pick but Sanguinetti was a major whiff which hurt us badly.

But was he on draft day? That's what matters to me. You can make a huge mistake on draft day and it miraculously works out (Scheifele), and you can pick a player not really labeled a bad pick who turns out to be a bust (Jessiman).

Kreider in 2009 was criticized because Schroeder and Josefson were ranked ahead of him. You win some, you lose some. Everyone praises the TBL scouting, but fails to mention Koekkoek and Connolly. At the end of the day, the Rangers scouting hasn't been as bad as some fans think it is

Reactions: Kupo

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Depending on how much longer he plays, it's not inconceivable that Hagelin is a "better" pick than Cally when you consider their spots. Same could possibly be said for Buchnevich or Duclair. I know you really have to project out on those two, though.

EDIT: I see they did mention Buch as a possible boom.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It's of course Jessiman. And that pick came back to haunt us a decade later and probably cost us a Cup in 2012-15.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
But was he on draft day? That's what matters to me. You can make a huge mistake on draft day and it miraculously works out (Scheifele), and you can pick a player not really labeled a bad pick who turns out to be a bust (Jessiman).

Kreider in 2009 was criticized because Schroeder and Josefson were ranked ahead of him. You win some, you lose some. Everyone praises the TBL scouting, but fails to mention Koekkoek and Connolly. At the end of the day, the Rangers scouting hasn't been as bad as some fans think it is

The problem is the Rangers draft strategy has prevented them from drafting and developing a high end franchise gamebreaking talent of their own. The Lightning have those in spades so they get a pass for their misses.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Obviously the boom answer is Hank but I'm not sure I would say Stephan/Callahan would be big booms. Weren't they both 2nd round picks? I would tend to lean more towards Hagelin, Fast, hell even Prucha due to where they were selected in the draft. That's just my opinion though.

Edit: I see Cally was actually a 4th round pick so I retract part of my disagreement. Looking at that draft though is rough: Montoya, Korpikoski, Oliver, Byers, Bruce Graham, Dubinsky, Zdenek Bahensky, Billy Ryan, Cally, and it doesn't get better

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Obviously the boom answer is Hank but I'm not sure I would say Stephan/Callahan would be big booms. Weren't they both 2nd round picks? I would tend to lean more towards Hagelin, Fast, hell even Prucha due to where they were selected in the draft. That's just my opinion though

callahan was a 4th rounder

Reactions: mti79

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Is McIlrath really a bust? Dont you have to have a sliver of potential in order to bust by definition? Sanguinetti actually was projected to be good.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Scheifele was an interesting one. Dale Hawerchuk definitely gave some inside info to Winnipeg on that one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is McIlrath really a bust? Dont you have to have a sliver of potential in order to bust by definition? Sanguinetti actually was projected to be good.
Yes McIlrath is a bust.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I don't think expectations on draft day should be the criteria of whether someone is a bust or not. Then Ryan Leaf wouldn't be considered a bust.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It’s funny — sometimes you see a team make the right, logical choice and it doesn’t work out. You see this in all sports.

You’re gambling on a kids development. Pubescent kids. Kids who don’t even know who they are. These scouts are ultimately guessing what kind of players they become. It’s so hit or miss.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Sanguinetti wasn't a reach like McIlrath but he was still a huge bust, never played for the Rangers PLUS the very next pick was Claude Giroux. McIlrath was a worse pick but Sanguinetti was a major whiff which hurt us badly.
The Flyers were prepared to pick Sanguinetti. When the Rangers made their pick, Bobby Clarke was tongue tied at the Flyers table.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Hugh Jessiman has to be the biggest bust.

Looks like the article agrees.

I don't view Sanguinetti as a big bust because we recouped some of the value in a trade.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sanguinetti transitioned from the OHL to the pros actually pretty well. His first two seasons in Hartford were very good. After Del Zotto in his rookie season beat him out it was like Sanguinetti lost heart. I think he could have turned out much better.

The Rangers have had a lot of bad luck with 1st rounders. The career ending injury to Stefan Cherneski the year he turned pro. Forcing Manny Malhotra into the NHL way too soon. Pavel Brendl--not willing to work hard enough. Jamie Lundmark plateauing. Dan Blackburn's career ending injury. Hugh Jessiman missed almost an entire college year with a knee injury that stalled his career as well. Alexei Cherepanov's death. The unfortunate McIlrath pick that was also somewhat derailed by injury. Maybe they weren't all the best choices to make at the time (I definitely think Lundmark and Cherepanov were) but a lot of f***ed up stuff happened anyway.

Reactions: DanishRanger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->