Rangers awesome offense despite no elite forwards

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I am an Islanders fan so I'm going to look for reasons to knock them. But... check the shooting % of many of their forwards. Crazy it has sustained this long, so I may bite my tongue later on saying this, but hard to imagine it doesn't become very inconsistent throughout the rest of the season and playoffs. Will still be a top 10 offense no doubt by year's end, but I'd bet their 3.4 goals per game drops to 3.2-3.25 ish by the end of the regular season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
:amazed:

Shocked by this post. I was expecting something negative from you towards the team and something more positive towards Corsi.

I still think they're going to get curb-stomped in the first round if that makes you feel any better.

But the offense is elite, no question.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I am an Islanders fan so I'm going to look for reasons to knock them. But... check the shooting % of many of their forwards. Crazy it has sustained this long, so I may bite my tongue later on saying this, but hard to imagine it doesn't become very inconsistent throughout the rest of the season and playoffs. Will still be a top 10 offense no doubt by year's end, but I'd bet their 3.4 goals per game drops to 3.2-3.25 ish by the end of the regular season.

Maybe maybe not. This is the most talented forward group front to back that they've had under AV, and in the last two seasons since they became a primarily rush team, they've consistently been near the top of the league in team shooting percentage. They're between 1 and 2 percent higher than those years, but between infusing new talent and players like Kreider, Miller and Hayes coming into their own, I wouldn't be shocked to see it stay near 11%.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
is Grabner elite?

Don't know if I'd got that far but he has been probably the best FA signing of the past year by Gorton. For me to still wonder if he might possibly revert back to his previous form is all you need to know if he's elite. Most of my Ranger buds are all just shaking our heads, thanking our lucky starts and going along with the wave for as long as it lasts.

What is incredible tho is that he gets NO PP time at all and is only on the PK and our 3rd line and yet he has as many goals as Ovie with 26. It's just been a dream season for Grabs. The guys speed from is just phenomenal. I've known about it and seen it before quite a few times but now that I watch him all the time, he's even faster than I thought. He must get at least one breakaway if not more a game. I'd love to see a race between him and McDavid...it would be very close I'm sure of that.

Crazy thing is, if he had a little bit better finish,, he probably should have more goals. But we'll take it for sure. He's been a god send.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Rangers/Wild are similar teams. It would be an entertaining Finals if they both made it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two words, "Depth" and "Chemistry" It has been a lot of fun watching them and when you can get scoring up and down the lines that is going to be a formula for success. Just need to fix their D issues. Goaltending seems to be getting back on track. So 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I thought we were on the downward spiral according to most posters on here in the summer? Zomg Vesey why go to a team on the decline when you could have joined the bruins!

Yeah people on this board hate the Rangers.

Last edited:

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Don't know if I'd got that far but he has been probably the best FA signing of the past year by Gorton. For me to still wonder if he might possibly revert back to his previous form is all you need to know if he's elite. Most of my Ranger buds are all just shaking our heads, thanking our lucky starts and going along with the wave for as long as it lasts.

What is incredible tho is that he gets NO PP time at all and is only on the PK and our 3rd line and yet he has as many goals as Ovie with 26. It's just been a dream season for Grabs. The guys speed from is just phenomenal. I've known about it and seen it before quite a few times but now that I watch him all the time, he's even faster than I thought. He must get at least one breakaway if not more a game. I'd love to see a race between him and McDavid...it would be very close I'm sure of that.

Crazy thing is, if he had a little bit better finish,, he probably should have more goals. But we'll take it for sure. He's been a god send.

i view him as this years foligno

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Nah. He'll come back to Earth next year.

I'm obviously kidding man, but he does have a great skill set and while he probably won't score 30+ goals next season like he will this year, he definitely has the opportunity to chip in around 20. He finally has good players surrounding him and feeding him the puck, unlike his time in Toronto/Islanders.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
People get so fixated on shooting percentage. Good players are accurate shooters. JT Miller has had a high shooting percentage since breaking out last year. Kreider has always had good shooting percentage - now he's shooting more, only difference. Hayes is accurate, Zucc is accurate. Grabner is the only guy with "unsustainable play" and no one expects him to be 30+ goals every year any way. I don't see what is so unsustainable about this team's offense? It's built to generate high danger scoring opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad