Rangers awesome offense despite no elite forwards

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
How is their offense so good? They have no forwards that are close to a PPG. No elite forwards. No elite offensive defenseman. Their powerplay isn't carrying their offense (they're 14th overall in pp%)

How are they putting up so much offense? Is it a 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts' type thing going on here?

Is vigneault some kind of offensive genius with the system he implements?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
How is their offense so good? They have no forwards that are close to a PPG. No elite forwards. No elite offensive defenseman. Their powerplay isn't carrying their offense (they're 14th overall in pp%)

How are they putting up so much offense? Is it a 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts' type thing going on here?

For all the crap he gets, Vigneault is probably one of the best coaches working today. Rangers fans should feel lucky.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Lots of first round picks. ...just not all ours.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

4 lines especially the top 9 who all have very good skill sets. A defensive corps who can move the puck up the ice pretty well other than Girardi and Klein.

I do agree there is no one who pops off the stat sheet. Miller and Hayes have taken that next step and both look like 60-65 point guys especially Miller. Alot of 45-60 point type fwds in the lineup which is fine. Solid depth for sure and typically AV teams have teams that are good offensive teams. Hopefully we can do this in the playoffs as well as the year Rangers are having was unexpected even by the most optimistic Ranger fan myself included before season started.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Depth is the correct answer.

The following have played like top-line forwards all season: Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Zuccarello

Then there is Nash and Zibanejad, both hampered by serious injuries ", but capable top-line players when they're on.

Throw in a Grabner's magical season.

Throw in the depth scoring from Buchnevich (future top liner), Vesey, and Fast.

It's not much of a surprise they are a top offense in the league.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The Rangers depth makes it nearly impossible to match up against them. When Miller and Hayes are nominally your 3rd line, you're going to do well. Vigneault's system is also designed to create scoring chances on the rush, which have a higher likelihood of succeeding and works because the team has speed up and down the lineup.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
For all the crap he gets, Vigneault is probably one of the best coaches working today. Rangers fans should feel lucky.

I also think Vigneault is one of the better coaches in the league. The Rangers can cut through defenses like a knife so quickly and so suddenly. They have some fast forwards and they move the puck through the neutral zone as fast as they can. Not only that, but they make such quick passes in the offensive zone as well. They move around the puck so effectively that it's hard for defenses to even keep up sometimes.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
What's your definition of elite? I would argue that the Rangers have more than a few elite forwards, or guys (like Miller and Hayes) who are on the cusp of being elite. But we don't have that SUPERSTAR like a Malkin, Kane, or Tarasenko.

When you consider what Kreider has done this season along with his possession numbers, it's hard not to conclude that he is an elite power forward. Stepan has been elite the past several years in terms of production when compared to other Centers. Not many have produced more than he has. Zucc I'd argue is an elite winger. Hayes, Miller, Zibanejad, all knocking on the door of elite.

But again, it's a definition thing. What is elite? Sure, we don't have anyone who will score 75-80 pts, but then, considering that Miller is on pace for like 67 points, and only plays 16 minutes per game on the third line with 59% defensive zone starts...what would he be scoring if he was some team's 1st line winger playing 18 mins per game and 55% O zone starts, playing with a center that is even better than Kevin Hayes? It's easy to see him pushing into the high 70 point range, low 80s.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
They have awesome depth at the forward positions. Their bottom 6 completely destroys their counterparts on a nightly basis and their top end talent is good enough to not get destroyed themselves. Essentially, they are extremely difficult to match up with. If their blueline wasn't so terrible, they'd easily be a major cup threat. They are about as close as I've seen in a while to a team that has a top 3 forward core and a team that has a bottom three defense corps.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Depends on what you consider elite.

Kreider is a top 10 winger right now and Stepan produces about as much as Tavares over their last 100 or so games.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What's your definition of elite? I would argue that the Rangers have more than a few elite forwards, or guys (like Miller and Hayes) who are on the cusp of being elite. But we don't have that SUPERSTAR like a Malkin, Kane, or Tarasenko.

When you consider what Kreider has done this season along with his possession numbers, it's hard not to conclude that he is an elite power forward. Stepan has been elite the past several years in terms of production when compared to other Centers. Not many have produced more than he has. Zucc I'd argue is an elite winger. Hayes, Miller, Zibanejad, all knocking on the door of elite.

So you're arguing over the use of elite vs superstar? In this topic, elite was used to describe those ppg players.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
So you're arguing over the use of elite vs superstar? In this topic, elite was used to describe those ppg players.

OK but "elite" and "superstar" are both subjective terms. Personally, I consider elite to be top 50 in scoring, thereabouts, with other considerations made (possession numbers, defensive play, points per 60, size/skill, etc). I consider 80 pts + to be superstar level. Some would disagree and say that only people in the top 20 scoring and 70+ pts should be called elite, and 90+ points is a superstar. Based on my own definition, the Rangers have anywhere from 3-5 elite forwards, which is not what the thread starter is implying.

It helps to have subjective terms clearly defined before asking people to categorize or explain players/teams by those terms.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I thought we were on the downward spiral according to most posters on here in the summer? Zomg Vesey why go to a team on the decline when you could have joined the bruins!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The line between subjective terms like Elite and Very Good is blurry.

Have you see their 3rd line?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The line between subjective terms like Elite and Very Good is blurry.

Have you see their 3rd line?

That's exactly what is going on.

Our 3rd line of Hayes,Miller and Grabner would likely be on most, not all but most teams 1st or 2nd line for sure. And this line is getting to play vs other teams non shutdown line.

It's like pick your poison. Do you want to send your shut down line vs Kreider,Zucc and Stepan or Nash, Vesey, Zibanajeg or Hayes, Miller and Grabner?

It's a tough choice and for most part these oppposing shutdown lines are not going against the 10-13-40 line. I have a hunch that is going to change soon as it's been apparent to most of us Ranger fans which line has been our best line since beginning of the season. One would think opposing team scouts are letting their coaching staffs become more aware that it might be time to key on this supposed 3rd line of the Rangers rather than those other two. I hope things don't change but one would think more attention would now be given to this red hot line.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The Rangers depth makes it nearly impossible to match up against them. When Miller and Hayes are nominally your 3rd line, you're going to do well. Vigneault's system is also designed to create scoring chances on the rush, which have a higher likelihood of succeeding and works because the team has speed up and down the lineup.

Which explains part of the reason why we can get out shot so often but still win games 4-1.

Our depth is pretty amazing. Lundqvist looks like his rounding into his usual late season form. It is definitely encouraging.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Very similar to the Cup finals team. Had Pouliot, Brassard, and Zuccarello on the 3rd line. Teams couldn't handle having to have their bottom pairing face them.

Biggest difference is outside of McDonagh, they have no defense. Skjei is a rookie and is of course up and down. Holden is average at best. Klein is meh. Staal is bad and Girardi is putrid. They don't play Clendening, who has been better than at least the last 3 guys mentioned.

If they made the simple change of Clendening for Klein/Girardi and a trade to put the other on the bench, we'd be looking at a team that could hang with Washington and Pittsburgh in the East. Sadly, if they make a move, I have no clue who they would sit. Probably would be Skjei, which would be disappointing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also worth noting that the Rangers tend to be very good at real advanced stats, like expected values and K values.

Corsi and scoring chances, I consider traditional stats.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Also worth noting that the Rangers tend to be very good at real advanced stats, like expected values and K values.

Corsi and scoring chances, I consider traditional stats.

:amazed:

Shocked by this post. I was expecting something negative from you towards the team and something more positive towards Corsi.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
They do have Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Stepan, and Zucc all on pace for 60+ points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad