Pre-Game Talk: Rangers at Red Wings, October 26, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Ya because Cleary and Abby have shown so much board skill, not too sure who you want there

Abdelkader does. He wins most of his. That's why I liked him with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. He'd more often then not get them the puck and go to the net. People need to think like a GM and coach if they want to have a chance at sounding intelligent.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Abdelkader does. He wins most of his. That's why I liked him with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. He'd more often then not get them the puck and go to the net. People need to think like a GM and coach if they want to have a chance at sounding intelligent.

Abby was mediocre at board battles and has 0 offensive IQ, Its not like Tatar and Nyquist are gonna lose every board battle. People need to think like a GM and coach if they want to have a chance at sounding intelligent

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Z-Datsyuk-Franzen
Nyquist-Weiss-Tatar
Alfie-Helm-Bert
Tootoo-Andy-Abby

Ericsson/Kronner
Kindl/DD
Ouellet/Smith

Best roster you could see. Sit down DFC. Sammy get out. Abby not in the top 6 and in a good 4th line with Tootoo for some hitting. Tatar and Nyquist are very offensive and might help Weiss get going.

Franzen is worthless, but MAYBE playing with Z and D could help him get going also.

Quincey, take a seat. I liked Ouellet and Smith together as a pair and Kindl has impressed me also.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I don't really think that the idea of putting a bottom 6 grinder with no hands on the top line is a hallmark of intelligence.

Abby's basically dead from the neck up when it comes to offensive awareness and ability. Not the guy I want to trust to find the open areas and read offensive situations with elite guys like Z & D.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Could Weiss play wing? I mean, we have 2 elite centers on the top 2 lines, and I would prefer not to have 5 mil a season anchoring the 3rd line with crap beside him. I would go with

Alfredsson - Datsyuk - Tatar
Weiss - Zetterberg - Franzen

But we would need another center preferably, or Abdelkader play 4C

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Nope, they hinder and this is setting him up to fail.

Obviously I'm no Babcock fan, but at least this is consistent with what he's said about Weiss and his game. He said he wants Weiss to stop worrying about scoring and just play hockey. If you've got those two for linemates, I'm pretty sure scoring it the last thing on your mind. Just go out there and skate as hard as you can.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Could Weiss play wing? I mean, we have 2 elite centers on the top 2 lines, and I would prefer not to have 5 mil a season anchoring the 3rd line with crap beside him. I would go with

Alfredsson - Datsyuk - Tatar
Weiss - Zetterberg - Franzen

But we would need another center preferably, or Abdelkader play 4C

I concur with this. If they are going to keep Z and D separate I would like to see Hank with Weiss, Weiss can get some offense going. 5 mil for a third liner center with garbage wingers?

Alfie-Pav-Bert
Z-Weiss-Tatar
Mule-Helm-Cleary
Abby-Andy-Tooto

Absolutely.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Obviously I'm no Babcock fan, but at least this is consistent with what he's said about Weiss and his game. He said he wants Weiss to stop worrying about scoring and just play hockey. If you've got those two for linemates, I'm pretty sure scoring it the last thing on your mind. Just go out there and skate as hard as you can.

Agreed, but I'd love to see him get put with linemates with whom he might actually produce. Put him with a couple of semi-defensively responsible linemates and I think that not only are they going to be defensively responsible, but they're going to score as well. That's particularly the case if Weiss is going to remain on the third line for the foreseeable future (or at least until Helm comes back - it will be interesting to see what happens when/if Helm returns to the lineup).

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I like the lines a lot. Ideally Nyquist instead of Cleary on that 3rd line. Oh well. Very pleased.

When Helm comes back I think it's time to reunite Abdelkader-Helm-Miller as our 4th line. Play around with the other lines until they work.

That 4th line along with Nyquist and Tatar infused to lines with Z, Pav, Mule, Alfie, Weiss, Bert in the top9 and we have a team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Somehow, no it doesn't. I'm not a cap expert though so I'll defer to someone else to explain, but due to the daily cap calculations it doesn't.

I keep checking the forum to see if anybody has been waived or traded. I'm kind of anxious to see who gets jettisoned and how.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
I keep checking the forum to see if anybody has been waived or traded. I'm kind of anxious to see who gets jettisoned and how.

So am I. I wouldn't be surprised if Eaves ends up being the odd man out here.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Agreed, but I'd love to see him get put with linemates with whom he might actually produce. Put him with a couple of semi-defensively responsible linemates and I think that not only are they going to be defensively responsible, but they're going to score as well. That's particularly the case if Weiss is going to remain on the third line for the foreseeable future (or at least until Helm comes back - it will be interesting to see what happens when/if Helm returns to the lineup).

Frankly I think Miller and Tootoo are better linemates for scoring than Abby and Cleary. Especially Tootoo. And until we call Nyquist up, we don't have that many options for the third line scoring. Those first two lines are stacked. We could spread it out but that requires putting either Abby or Cleary up there. I... don't want to do that.

Also why is your new avatar the Thrasher's logo?

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Frankly I think Miller and Tootoo are better linemates for scoring than Abby and Cleary. Especially Tootoo. And until we call Nyquist up, we don't have that many options for the third line scoring. Those first two lines are stacked. We could spread it out but that requires putting either Abby or Cleary up there. I... don't want to do that.

If we put Abby or Cleary back on the top lines, I'll be banging my head against a wall for too long to post around these parts for a while.

Also why is your new avatar the Thrasher's logo?

Honoring a site friend who passed on recently.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Abby was mediocre at board battles and has 0 offensive IQ, Its not like Tatar and Nyquist are gonna lose every board battle. People need to think like a GM and coach if they want to have a chance at sounding intelligent

When playing Datsyuk and Zetterberg you don't need hockey IQ, you get the puck to them and go to the net. He wins more board battles than everyone but Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, and Bertuzzi. I'm not saying he's a first liner, but he fits in well with D and Z. I didn't like him on the 2nd line.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Somehow, no it doesn't. I'm not a cap expert though so I'll defer to someone else to explain, but due to the daily cap calculations it doesn't.

Yeah I pointed this out a little while ago and many have said capgeek is generally lower than their true cap calculations internally and most importantly in Toronto where they daily calculate the cap and relay it to the team.

The Wings have room for 2 million in salary today, so we are back to roster spot concerns, given that they are this length into the season I am pretty sure they can activate Helm right now without violation, given that roughly 1/8 of salary is already gone.

Wish they would waive Eaves, package Sammy and Tootoo for David Booth.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
When playing Datsyuk and Zetterberg you don't need hockey IQ

Yes you do.

You don't need much else but you need that IQ. That's why Homer worked so well. He had that IQ, even if he was slow and his shot was nothing special and he never really wowed people with any stick work. You can't just sit in front of the net. You need to move around occasionally.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Yeah I pointed this out a little while ago and many have said capgeek is generally lower than their true cap calculations internally and most importantly in Toronto where they daily calculate the cap and relay it to the team.

The Wings have room for 2 million in salary today, so we are back to roster spot concerns, given that they are this length into the season I am pretty sure they can activate Helm right now without violation, given that roughly 1/8 of salary is already gone.

Wish they would waive Eaves, package Sammy and Tootoo for David Booth.

Kill two birds with one stone.

Sammy, Cleary/Quincey, a pick and prospect for Booth :yo: That would be so awesome.

Just concerned about Booth's concussion issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad