Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Leafs Pt. 11/8/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Lack of depth on the blueline? We've been trodding out our #7-10 defenseman on the regular since the season began :laugh: No **** they're not performing consistently.

When healthy? I'd argue the Rangers 6D is one of the best in the league, because it is.

Vickers8

Lack of depth on the blueline? We've been trodding out our #7-10 defenseman on the regular since the season began :laugh: No **** they're not performing consistently.

When healthy? I'd argue the Rangers 6D is one of the best in the league, because it is.

I agree, probably and hopefully get the injuries out of the way now

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Absolutely.

And, as disappointing as last night was, I'm thinking we're dodging a bullet rolling out this band-aid defense every night and still being in every game.

We've got Stempniak and Zooks on the point during the PP, for ****s sake. Boyle will help that immensely. Our best defender is out. Our 6th best defender is out. Our 4th best defender is out. Our number one center has played one game. We've got three (I know Allen is young and this might not characterize his future) career AHL'ers in our starting D.

What were you all expecting? Think the Kings would just cruise along without Doughty, Greene, Martinez, McNab, & Kopitar? Really?

thenumbersdonotlie*

Other than suck every second of every game, Glass has done nothing else.

Basically, you are going to have to package a couple of prospects to get rid of him. Hayes can't play center. Let Lindberg center the 3rd line with Hagelin and Duclair. Let Moore center the 4th line with Hayes and Stempniak. That's just a better team. Period. Even with another rookie in there because Glass sucks so much.

Nash-Stepan-St. Louis
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin/Lindberg/Duclair
Hayes-Moore-Stempniak

As far as packaging Glass. Fast is a player I like but he's not going to play here. Let's face it. Might as well package

Allen, Fast, Glass

for

2nd round pick.

To a team like Edmonton, Columbus, Dallas or Colorado that is searching right now for some success and lack depth. Might have to substitute Hunwick for Allen if that makes the trade work. If that can't bring you back a second, maybe you throw in a Kristo into that deal.

Kristo, Fast, Allen and Glass should be able to get a second. Majority of second round picks don't make the NHL. Fast to me is a sure thing as a NHL role player. Allen should be able to stick as a 5 or 6 with some more experience.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
That defense is crap compared to real contenders.

The center depth is crap compared to real contenders.

How anyone could have watched the Stanley Cup Final, and see what the Kings look like right now again, and claim that the garbage we are trotting out as a 3rd and 4th line and 3rd pair is going to hack it against the elite of the league...is beyond reason.

The Rangers want a Cup and not allow last year's run be for nothing, they need to address these issues and make improvements.

I could care less that Sekera isn't a '3rd pair" defender, or that he would be "a luxury". You add the best players period.

I could care less that Hayes might be good one day, you add a player like Vermette because the best teams in the league and the one that wins the Cup will have 4 competent centers, not 2 and a half.

You rid the team of garbage like Glass and Malone, and don't sign Kaberle, because winners don't carry charity cases.

Want to be the best, act like it. Want to wallow in mediocrity and be middling in pergatory than act like they are right now.

Making trades is a crap shoot. Does't guarantee anything, and statistics show that trading picks and prospects for short term success does more harm to an organization long term than holding onto assets and retooling slightly.

While I think they need to improve, I would wait to see how the team plays when healthy before making a trade.

As much as the replacements suck the good news is that it identified what needs to be addressed.

thenumbersdonotlie*

People who want the Rangers to go out and trade for a good third line center obviously have NO CLUE as to the cap problems they have next year. Basically, they are going to have an impossible time signing their RFA's while bringing back St. Louis and Staal.

The Rangers needed to work in 3-4 rookies this year. The problem they have right now is that they keep playing that waste Glass who makes 1.5 and is taking up a roster spot from a kid. Parting ways with that clown is the first step to improving the team.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Glass is a passenger. A high priced one, and that is not a good situation.

Pengs traded him for a reason - and our scouts have been piss poor this summer.

MSL and nash so hot right now...

But we'd be better off:

Kreider Stepan Nash
Duke Brassard Zucc
Hagelin Hayes MSL
Glass Moore Stempniak

Or

Duke Brassard Nash (looked great together)
Kreider Stepan Zucc
Hagelin hayes MSL
Glass Moore Stempniak

pls. keep brassard with Nash and Marty - I'm not a big fan of him and often he is invisble like last match, except on faceoffs with poor puck decisions.

Brass has been very consistent this season (in my opinion). If i recall, we were told when we traded for him that he was very good, but then just suddenly "disappeared for long stretches".

While he, as everyone else, has his up and down periods, he hasn't "vanished", at least as far as i can remember (and certainly not this season).

Yes, of course, but why should AV change that line now since Nash scored with a great pass from Marty. Brassard did very little on his line this game, and he was invisible like the beginning of the season. Girardi was alone and a certain goal with an easy pass, but Brassard decided to shoot instead.

Stepan had a great game - I'm glad he is back on the ice. :)
:handclap:

I don't understand why Sather traded Stralman 10 pts. (+14) so far with the Tampa Bay Lighning after the horrible defensive effort last game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
pls. keep brassard with Nash and Marty - I'm not a big fan of him and often he is invisble like last match, except on faceoffs with poor puck decisions.
Brass has been very consistent this season (in my opinion). If i recall, we were told when we traded for him that he was very good, but then just suddenly "disappeared for long stretches".

While he, as everyone else, has his up and down periods, he hasn't "vanished", at least as far as i can remember (and certainly not this season).

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
That loss just flat out sucked last night. There was no reason to lose momentum like that after Nash's goal. They really need to take today's game and start beating teams that they're supposed to.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
People who want the Rangers to go out and trade for a good third line center obviously have NO CLUE as to the cap problems they have next year. Basically, they are going to have an impossible time signing their RFA's while bringing back St. Louis and Staal.

The Rangers needed to work in 3-4 rookies this year. The problem they have right now is that they keep playing that waste Glass who makes 1.5 and is taking up a roster spot from a kid. Parting ways with that clown is the first step to improving the team.

Most people have been wanting to get Antoine vermette, who is a UFA next year.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Yes, of course, but why should AV change that line now since Nash scored with a great pass from Marty. Brassard did very little on his line this game, and he was invisible like the beginning of the season. Girardi was alone and a certain goal with an easy pass, but Brassard decided to shoot instead.
I agree that the line has been very good. My guess is that Kovalev meant that its better to "spread the veterans around", to create 4 playing lines, and not have a 4th line that serves mostly as bench warmers.

There are arguments both for and against, but its AV's decision to make. He wants to win it as much as we do (probably more than we do..lol) :)

I don't understand why Sather traded Stralman 10 pts. (+14) so far with the Tampa Bay Lighning after the horrible defensive effort last game.
Very few of us understand that :)

Rather, we understand it (cap situation), but a lot of people wanted to keep Strålman.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Can't believe we pissed away the points. And to ****ing Toronto. This ****ing beer league D. :shakehead

Talbot needs to grow the flow back. Maybe he'll stop something again.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I agree that the line has been very good. My guess is that Kovalev meant that its better to "spread the veterans around", to create 4 playing lines, and not have a 4th line that serves mostly as bench warmers.

There are arguments both for and against, but its AV's decision to make. He wants to win it as much as we do (probably more than we do..lol) :)

Very few of us understand that :)

Rather, we understand it (cap situation), but a lot of people wanted to keep Strålman.

Yeah for sure I'm confused too about that particular trade, m8. :)
A solid point about our 4th line - I'm actually worried at the momemt even though it's still early in the season.
We miss Dorseth, Brian Boyle and D. Carcillo for sure, but it was a difficult decisions based on our salary cap issues.

I'm glad I found this HF boards - I was so sad when they removed Disqus from the Blueshirts United.

Last edited:

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I am growing to dread these Saturday HNIC games. The Rangers team that Canada sees looks like junk most of the time.

Yes, like other Rangers fans, I cannot wait until I can look up and down the lineup and see all the best players present and accounted for.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
A solid point about our 4th line - I'm actually worried at the momemt even though it's still early in the season.
The early injuries complicated things immensely (Steps, Boyle, McD, etc), which necessitated bringing up a number of people from the AHL that are going to be uneven in their performance. As such, line combos are something of a challenge :)

I'm glad I found this HF boards - I was so sad when they removed Disqus from the Blueshirts United.
Welcome to us, hope you'll like it here :)

I found this board by "accident" myself a number of years ago (just prior to the 2010 Olympics if i recall), there is a very small "fanbase" in Norway (at least that frequent forums, hehe).

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
Can't believe we pissed away the points. And to ****ing Toronto. This ****ing beer league D. :shakehead

Talbot needs to grow the flow back. Maybe he'll stop something again.

Yup. I live in toronto and have now paid to see NYR vs Leafs twice this year in two cities. Both have been outright embarrassments. Tough to make the Leafs look good, and we did it both times.

As I said in the GDT, this team used to have character - would never blow leads like this. I like AV, but we could use a bit of Torts mentality right now (and no, I don't mean bring Torts back).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yup. I live in toronto and have now paid to see NYR vs Leafs twice this year in two cities. Both have been outright embarrassments. Tough to make the Leafs look good, and we did it both times.

As I said in the GDT, this team used to have character - would never blow leads like this. I like AV, but we could use a bit of Torts mentality right now (and no, I don't mean bring Torts back).

We came back in the Minnesota game. That's not character? We fought for a win in Detroit. Two OTLs between St. Louis and Winnipeg and one was a shut out. We came back from 2 down last night. Most of those we were missing some combination of our #1C, a top 6 winger, and 2-4 defenseman. If that's not character than I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yes you are overreacting, guy overreacting

this team will be a force come playoff time. The D is far from ideal right now, but we're missing McDonagh and Boyle. Most team's bluelines would likely be exploitable if their #1 and #3/#4 defenseman were hurt.

and the center depth is as good as it's been in a long time. Stepan looked very good in this game, and so did Brassard and Hayes. We're stacked at wing. This offense is very, very good, when the defense is healthy and Hank is in playoff node, we will, again, be a force.

stop reading so much into the first ~15% of the season

This post is a good post.

Take away Duncan Keith and Johnny Oduya, just how good does the Hawks D look now?

I'm not sure why all the complaints about depth on defense. You can't replace a top 4 d-man without making a trade. No team can.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
We came back in the Minnesota game. That's not character? We fought for a win in Detroit. Two OTLs between St. Louis and Winnipeg and one was a shut out. We came back from 2 down last night. Most of those we were missing some combination of our #1C, a top 6 winger, and 2-4 defenseman. If that's not character than I don't know what is.

I was impressed with the Minny game. But character = consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad