Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Leafs Pt. 11/8/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Defense and Talbot got exposed pretty bad tonight.

Frustrating part is I would argue again they played pretty well. Just some bad breakdowns.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
MSL and nash so hot right now...

But we'd be better off:

Kreider Stepan Nash
Duke Brassard Zucc
Hagelin Hayes MSL
Glass Moore Stempniak

Or

Duke Brassard Nash (looked great together)
Kreider Stepan Zucc
Hagelin hayes MSL
Glass Moore Stempniak

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Tanner Glass, -7, 0 Points. Not a huge fan of +/- but when the next closest guy is a guy who is -4, and currently in AHL it says something. Also, not a huge corsi fan without context, but doesn't he usually have one of the worst every year?

SupersonicMonkey*

Duke Brassard Nash (looked great together)
Kreider Stepan Zucc
Hagelin hayes MSL
Glass Moore Stempniak

It fits the criteria:

Rookies split up, Moore not a 3rd line center.

Now that this game happened, and we saw why we were complaining so much about having two real lines, one 4th line acting as a 3rd, and a throw away line...hopefully Vigneault wakes up.

Can't stack two lines and expect to win games. You need 4 lines that can contribute evenly.

And if this team wants to be serious about a Cup, Hayes can not be a center this season. He can win a faceoff to save his life. We need a real center.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Tanner Glass, -7, 0 Points. Not a huge fan of +/- but when the next closest guy is a guy who is -4, and currently in AHL it says something. Also, not a huge corsi fan without context, but doesn't he usually have one of the worst every year?

Bottom 5 every year.

He doesn't pass the stat test or the eye test.

What the **** does AV see in him?

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown

Seeing Glass play with the Penguins and Canucks, both very good teams during the time he played with them, I never saw anything grabbed me. I didn't see him play more than maybe 15 times during that span, but it seems to me that guys like Glass are a form of insurance that is less and less needed. Maybe when the Penguins got into those crazy playoff games against the Flyers, it felt good having him there.
With the Rangers, I never did understand why he was signed. Again, I had seen him play enough times, he never really looked like a player with a complete game.

Last edited:

SupersonicMonkey*

He and Malone are complete and utter garbage as NHL hockey players.

They need to be off this team, out of the organization, and replaced with guys who can play hockey.

ilovemarkmessier

Oct 13, 2011
New York
So what?

Staal-Boyle
Hunwick-Girardi
JoMo-Kleiner

We are looking like a good team capable of playing a good game. I'm not stressing about this one. With Henrik and the defense patched up and Stepan stabilizing the C depth, I am happy.

More like
Staal-Girardi
Boyle-Klein
JoMo-Allen/Hundwick

With the top four playing major minutes until Mcdonuts back.

SupersonicMonkey*

That defense is crap compared to real contenders.

The center depth is crap compared to real contenders.

How anyone could have watched the Stanley Cup Final, and see what the Kings look like right now again, and claim that the garbage we are trotting out as a 3rd and 4th line and 3rd pair is going to hack it against the elite of the league...is beyond reason.

The Rangers want a Cup and not allow last year's run be for nothing, they need to address these issues and make improvements.

I could care less that Sekera isn't a '3rd pair" defender, or that he would be "a luxury". You add the best players period.

I could care less that Hayes might be good one day, you add a player like Vermette because the best teams in the league and the one that wins the Cup will have 4 competent centers, not 2 and a half.

You rid the team of garbage like Glass and Malone, and don't sign Kaberle, because winners don't carry charity cases.

Want to be the best, act like it. Want to wallow in mediocrity and be middling in pergatory than act like they are right now.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hunwick finally came crashing back down to earth tonight. I was irate on that shorthanded goal and the GWG was a terrible play by him too though the three forwards did absolutely nothing to help him. He needs to know just to take the check there and eat that puck. Can't throw it along the boards when the three forwards are already out of the zone. Wasn't impressed with Allen again and Kostka plays a very up and down game. Sometimes he makes smart plays and moves the puck efficiently and other times he's terribly out of position and makes awful decisions. Team will be so much better when the latter two are out of the lineup for sure.

We're also watching Rick Nash play his best hockey as a Ranger. He just looks downright dominant out there with the puck. He does whatever he wants with it and no one can knock him off the puck. It's almost similar to 05-06 Jagr the way he lowers the shoulder and uses his body to cut to the middle. No one stands a chance of knocking him off that puck.

SupersonicMonkey*

Overracting, to actually wanting this team to ****ing win for once? And i don't mean tonights game. I mean the Cup.

The mediocrity of results the last week or so are a microcsim of what will continue to plague this team the rest of the season and in the playoffs if the issues arent addressed.

Lack of depth in the middle.

Lack of depth on the blueline.

Garbage 12th and 13th forwards.

Cup winners have those areas locked down, and they aren't trivial "ho hum" parts. They are integral to winning in the playoffs.

Right now we have a 4th line center playing above his head. We have the worst forward in the league dragging two rookies down, one of which can't win faceoffs, at all. And 3 guys who were fighting for the 7th D spot playing big minutes. Injuries happen and proper depth should mitigate that.

Staying afloat because you can earn points despite loses, doesn't happen in the playoffs.

After where they have been two of the last three seasons, they should be carrying themselves and playing like they are going back there no matter what and winning. Front office down to the 13th forward.

Want to be a champion then you have to BE a champion. The "oh it'll be fine" passive attitute isn't going to cut it.

Passive attitude is inviting Kaberle and Malone...aggressive, we are going to win, attitude is going out and adding a guy like Sekera. Malhotra, Vermette...guys who can play...not Glass. Not Malone. Not Kaberle...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yes, overreacting.

October 2013 - Suck Bad 4 Ekblad

June 2014 - Stanley Cup Final

****'s sake, we haven't been healthy for one ******* game this season.

Whatever, wanna freak out, go for it.

Last edited:

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Bottom 5 every year.

He doesn't pass the stat test or the eye test.

What the **** does AV see in him?

There is no reason for Jesper Fast not to be playing in that spot. The play dies every time Glass needs to win a puck battle. He has zero awareness. The shift where he whiffed multiple times trying to clear a loose puck from the crease really says everything about his ability as an NHL player. It's amazing to me that Hayes and Duclair were still managing to create chances with him out there. Imagine if they had a capable linemate on the other wing.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yes you are overreacting, guy overreacting

this team will be a force come playoff time. The D is far from ideal right now, but we're missing McDonagh and Boyle. Most team's bluelines would likely be exploitable if their #1 and #3/#4 defenseman were hurt.

and the center depth is as good as it's been in a long time. Stepan looked very good in this game, and so did Brassard and Hayes. We're stacked at wing. This offense is very, very good, when the defense is healthy and Hank is in playoff node, we will, again, be a force.

stop reading so much into the first ~15% of the season

Vickers8

Defense and Talbot got exposed pretty bad tonight.

Frustrating part is I would argue again they played pretty well. Just some bad breakdowns.

AHL defensemen and so far this season AHL backup goaltender, would have played Hank the harder road game, would probably won 4-2 or 3

Vickers8

Hunwick finally came crashing back down to earth tonight. I was irate on that shorthanded goal and the GWG was a terrible play by him too though the three forwards did absolutely nothing to help him. He needs to know just to take the check there and eat that puck. Can't throw it along the boards when the three forwards are already out of the zone. Wasn't impressed with Allen again and Kostka plays a very up and down game. Sometimes he makes smart plays and moves the puck efficiently and other times he's terribly out of position and makes awful decisions. Team will be so much better when the latter two are out of the lineup for sure.

We're also watching Rick Nash play his best hockey as a Ranger. He just looks downright dominant out there with the puck. He does whatever he wants with it and no one can knock him off the puck. It's almost similar to 05-06 Jagr the way he lowers the shoulder and uses his body to cut to the middle. No one stands a chance of knocking him off that puck.

Thought Kostka dragged Allen down, can't really knock Hunwick it was his 1st real bad game, no help fron Talbot either

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Overracting, to actually wanting this team to ****ing win for once? And i don't mean tonights game. I mean the Cup.

The mediocrity of results the last week or so are a microcsim of what will continue to plague this team the rest of the season and in the playoffs if the issues arent addressed.

Lack of depth in the middle.

Lack of depth on the blueline.

Garbage 12th and 13th forwards.

Cup winners have those areas locked down, and they aren't trivial "ho hum" parts. They are integral to winning in the playoffs.

Right now we have a 4th line center playing above his head. We have the worst forward in the league dragging two rookies down, one of which can't win faceoffs, at all. And 3 guys who were fighting for the 7th D spot playing big minutes. Injuries happen and proper depth should mitigate that.

Staying afloat because you can earn points despite loses, doesn't happen in the playoffs.

After where they have been two of the last three seasons, they should be carrying themselves and playing like they are going back there no matter what and winning. Front office down to the 13th forward.

Want to be a champion then you have to BE a champion. The "oh it'll be fine" passive attitute isn't going to cut it.

Passive attitude is inviting Kaberle and Malone...aggressive, we are going to win, attitude is going out and adding a guy like Sekera. Malhotra, Vermette...guys who can play...not Glass. Not Malone. Not Kaberle...

List of defenses which look good while missing their #1, 4 and 6 defender:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad