Pre-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders first game back after ASB.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
A few thoughts and questions I wanted to ask everyone about this game.

1st: What do you think the % of Islanders and Rangers fans will be at the NVMC.
I will go 60-40 Islanders.

2nd: With both teams at full rest what outcome are you expecting?
I have a bad feeling about this one. The Rangers seem to play better at the NVMC as of late.

3rd) Does this game mean anything to you in terms of what we will see in the playoffs?
This game I would hold more of a real idea on how we can stack up against them if we meet in the playoffs.

4th: Over/Under on how many fights will be in the stands 15.
I'm going with the over.

What's your prediction on the score?
I will take the high road and just hope we can win.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Islanders lose.

Main board praises Rangers.

Main board ***** on Islanders.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Don't like predictions, but what I will say is that it will be hard fought game. Both teams will be well rested after the break, so no excuses. Let the best team win.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think Broadway Jay summarized it best. It's our game to lose. We have the Rangers beat in almost every category, but it's still possible to lose a game. It all comes down to Lundquist imo. If the guy can stand on his head against us it will make the game tough. The Rangers are not the same team as last year and they are outmatched by the Islanders, but the Lundquist factor can instantly disintegrate those numbers.

Phrases you won't hear when the game is said and done:

"Islanders were firing on all cylinders, completely outmatched the Rangers, but lost even with Lundquist being average."

"Both teams played brilliantly but the Rangers are just the better team"

Phrases you could hear after the game:

"The Islanders played their game tonight and were ready to go. Unfortunately Lundquist did what he does best and put up a wall that the Islanders just couldn't penetrate"

"Both teams were ready to play and came out strong. The Islanders proved they are the better team once again and the Rangers just couldn't get anything going."

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The team just needs to keep taking care of their own business. Putting more separation between the two teams would be a wonderful thing. There will be energy in the building all night one way or the other, unlike that morgue they call MSG.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The team just needs to keep taking care of their own business. Putting more separation between the two teams would be a wonderful thing. There will be energy in the building all night one way or the other, unlike that morgue they call MSG.

You know that Seinfeld episode is really telling of what it's like at MSG. Jery, Elaine, and Kramer knowing nothing about hockey and getting free 1st row tickets VS David Puddy the true hockey fan from NJ. I know it's just a show, but, I would wager that's what the lower bowl is all about at the Garden.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Isles need to be real discipline as they are still not where they want to be on on the special teams. Also they need to watch their line changes to not get caught with Rangers flying down the ice. VA (the Ranger coach) used to use the line changes to create breakways for his team when he coached in Vancouver. Watch out for these line changes. Also I think if Isles can't outskate the Rangers then they need to play smart physical games against them.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Isles need to be real discipline as they are still not where they want to be on on the special teams. Also they need to watch their line changes to not get caught with Rangers flying down the ice. VA (the Ranger coach) used to use the line changes to create breakways for his team when he coached in Vancouver. Watch out for these line changes. Also I think if Isles can't outskate the Rangers then they need to play smart physical games against them.

The Islanders have better team speed and play at a higher pace but the Rags do have a handful of very speedy guys as well.

The less rusty of the teams should have an advantage with all the time off.

The Lundqvist factor can never be overlooked, but I have no concern that he will through a shut out as us, we will get something past him. If we play our solid defense first-transition to fast offense we will be fine.

We are the more physical team if we choose to play that way.

There will be several fights in the stands. Isles fans are a little more cocky now and it could be an explosive situation if the Rags fans don't watch their mouths and actions. The Coli has been ours and no amount of invaders will be tolerated.:fight:

Last edited:

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
i think this will be a playoff type game (but arent Isles/rags usually?) after being embarressed by the Islanders in both games at the garden the Rags are really going to want this game.
if the Islanders play their game, like they did last week at MSG, they should be able to win.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I'll play.

70/30

The Rangers are a good team who were embarassed in their own house last time. They will play hard. I expect a close game played at a fast pace. Special teams will likely be the difference. If the Isles take bad penalties and fail to capitalize on their powerplay, they will lose. Otherwise I give them a significant, but not huge, advantage over the Rangers.

3rd) Does this game mean anything to you in terms of what we will see in the playoffs?
It gives you some idea of how they might matchup, yes. But the rules of the playoffs are a bit different. The game will be more physical and less penalties will be called. Both of which favor the Islanders. Lundqvist is a beast in the playoffs though, and he could be the difference.

LOL. Punches thrown? Under. Pushing and name-calling? Over.

4-2 good guys.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I don't see why this would be the "real" test. We've already had like 15 games where, going in, fans have said "this is the real test". Then we'd win, and then two days later it's - "no, I meant THIS game".

This team has answered all of the questions, IMO. If they lose on Tuesday, they lose. I don't expect to sweep the Rangers this year, so it is what it is. We've already beaten them twice in their own building, including once that came at the apex of their hot streak. If you want to look at tests, that was it.

I just hope for three things:

1) The guys who aren't in the ASG are resting up - especially Brock.
2) Johnny comes back and continues his strong play
3) Halak, even though he'll be competing, will still find a way to get some kind of rest. He'll participate in the Skills Competition and then in one period of the game itself, so it shouldn't be too stressful.

As long as these things happen, I'll feel pretty good about our final 36 games - including the next game against NYR.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
75%-25% in favor of Islanders

I think we come out strong, total dominate the ice, and beat them decisively.

Nope

Under, as I don't think there will be as many clusters of Ranger fans at this game.

I think Islanders win 4-1

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm going to say it's an 80-20 split. It will be a tight game with no penalties (which should favor the Islanders with their poor special teams). I'm going to say 3-1 in either direction with an empty netter.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Connecticut guy here, the TV is my box seat. I do not expect to hear much chanting for Rangers.
I expect us to take over the game at some point during the first period, and frustrate them with our puck control the rest of the way.
Preview only.
That will not make it to my screen, even if a brawl erupts.
5-2 good guys. JT, Strome, and Boychuk goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
A few thoughts and questions I wanted to ask everyone about this game.

60-40 Islanders.

I'm expecting the islanders and Rangers to come out flying after the break and with the way the isles have been at the barn I see them outplaying the Rangers and once again overwhelming them and showing we are the better team.

Nope, just another one of the 82 games in a NHL season. Intensity will be high in the barn Tuesday so My guess is we can see this team come out flying

Under

5-3 islanders

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
I'm curious now how the weather will effect the attendance of the game. could be as much as 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Since teams are local it'll be easier to reschedule. Good feeling this thing might be moved.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I hope it's 70/30 or 80/20 so we can drown the **** out of those Ranger fans with noise, nothing more annoying than seeing them in our building.

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
I have a bad feeling about this one. The Rangers seem to play better at the NVMC as of late.

They've played once at the Coliseum in the last 21.5 months, 10/29/13 which was a 3-2 Rangers win.

And of course, our team is miles ahead of the team they were facing back then.

They're a good team, but if we get solid goaltending, they just can't handle our pressure and speed.

startainfection*

Normally the crowd is 50-50 Isles Rangers but due to the Islanders holding back the sale of the Rangers game and the Islanders success I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say it will be 70-30 Islanders fans

the islanders sold a ton to huge groups of ranger fans and sth's weren't able to get any extra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad