Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders 4/13/13

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If we lost this game let's face it everyone would be saying

POTG: Hank
The bad/The Redden: **** the rest of this awful team.

We won the game and a bunch of people are still saying it lol

Yeah, probably. I've always been of the mindset that every team has problems every game and the teams that win anyway are the best. I still maintain that. I'd rather the team somehow scrape wins together than dominate night after night without ever finding a way to translate that dominance into points. Nobody remembers which team looked the best most often. You remember who won the cup and maybe who won a ton of games in the regular season, even if they hardly got it done. Last year's team is a great example. They didn't dominate most nights, but they found ways to win more than they had in a long, long time. Now, when people talk about that team, they're the "exception" to sustained mediocrity. It's not because they looked great every night, it's because they won a lot. That's all that matters in the end.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Yeah, probably. I've always been of the mindset that every team has problems every game and the teams that win anyway are the best. I still maintain that. I'd rather the team somehow scrape wins together than dominate night after night without ever finding a way to translate that dominance into points. Nobody remembers which team looked the best most often. You remember who won the cup and maybe who won a ton of games in the regular season, even if they hardly got it done. Last year's team is a great example. They didn't dominate most nights, but they found ways to win more than they had in a long, long time. Now, when people talk about that team, they're the "exception" to sustained mediocrity. It's not because they looked great every night, it's because they won a lot. That's all that matters in the end.

For me I want to have fun and be impressed and excited and I just don't feel that as often watching the Rangers this year. Some of the bestNYR games I've seen were losses becauseof the level of excitement. The ultimate result was dissappointing but sometimes it's not about the destination it's the journey.

I'm not a fan of sports to say who's the best that's just a caveat if I get it but odds are you won't be the best. I'm a fan to see the best playing their best and doing things I could only dream of doing.

Ruins it having so much dissappointment game in and out. Like Richards for instance if he scores a GW yesterday I'm going to jump up and down and be thrilled but it doesn't exactly cancel out all the frustration and angst triggered by him getting lambasted and trucked off a D zone FO and giving up a glorious scoring opportunity or th terrible turnovers,etc. So I guess in conclusion (Nvr end with that my Eng 101 prof said but screw her) Winning is great but can be canceled out when a team is average. And I'd bet this goes for more people than just me

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
If you can't analyze, you don't have a basis for any argument other than standings. Winning the game is only part of having a winning team.

What arguments other than standings and scoreboard do you need? I'm a fan, the quotes posted about coaches not being able to enjoy the game don't apply to me. I like to see good, intense games of hockey; preferably with my team coming out on top (see yesterday's game). If was involved with the team, then yeah, there'd be a lot things that annoy me but I'm not, so advanced stats don't bother me. I'll certainly analyze things from games I played on the weekend, because that I effects me, but for professional sports, all I can do is watch (and it is all that I want to do).

I'm not saying everyone has to watch sports my way, but the same clique of people posting the same **** for the past 41 games is getting frustrating, especially in the GDTs. As others have said, they are becoming almost unreadable which is a real shame as I actually have to rely on them for updates when I'm at work (which is almost every weekday game due to timezone difference)

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
For me I want to have fun and be impressed and excited and I just don't feel that as often watching the Rangers this year. Some of the bestNYR games I've seen were losses becauseof the level of excitement. The ultimate result was dissappointing but sometimes it's not about the destination it's the journey.

I'm not a fan of sports to say who's the best that's just a caveat if I get it but odds are you won't be the best. I'm a fan to see the best playing their best and doing things I could only dream of doing.

Ruins it having so much dissappointment game in and out. Like Richards for instance if he scores a GW yesterday I'm going to jump up and down and be thrilled but it doesn't exactly cancel out all the frustration and angst triggered by him getting lambasted and trucked off a D zone FO and giving up a glorious scoring opportunity or th terrible turnovers,etc. So I guess in conclusion (Nvr end with that my Eng 101 prof said but screw her) Winning is great but can be canceled out when a team is average. And I'd bet this goes for more people than just me

Yeah, last year there was something exciting and special about this team that has been lacking this season. Perhaps it has to do with expectations. But I just don't feel the magic with this group. Maybe something clicks in the next couple weeks and they turn a corner...but right now I think we'd be kidding ourselves to expect them to go on a great run. That said, I'm hoping they prove me wrong. Maybe getting Staal and Dorsett in the lineup changes the dynamic a bit. Anything is possible.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Yeah, last year there was something exciting and special about this team that has been lacking this season. Perhaps it has to do with expectations. But I just don't feel the magic with this group. Maybe something clicks in the next couple weeks and they turn a corner...but right now I think we'd be kidding ourselves to expect them to go on a great run. That said, I'm hoping they prove me wrong. Maybe getting Staal and Dorsett in the lineup changes the dynamic a bit. Anything is possible.

The only thing "exciting and special" about last year's team was the fact that they won a whole lot of games. An objective, fair fan, particularly one who spent any time at all in the past lambasting the Devils for being boring (not calling you out for this specifically), HAS to apply the same critique to Torts' Rangers. They play/played a very boring game that really was not fun, exciting, or special to watch in any way at all.

The bond those guys had, yeah, that was special, but that made 24/7 fun to watch, not the games.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I was curious, what was the split of Rangers to Isles fans?
Were there more Isles fans than normal?
The box score claims it was 16,170 and not a sell out.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I used to live in Westbury like 2 blocks from this arena and when I'd go to the games I'd get the same treatment. I mind my own business and still get that. I guess its part of the experience.
I didn't think there were enough Islander fans to mistreat.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc

it was definitely sold out....16,170 is the capacity this year.....used to be 16,234

id say it was about 60% isles fans....our fans really controlled the building for most of the night, but there were obv a ton of rangers fans

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Yeah, I don't disagree. In terms of what I want to watch, I'd rather watch an exciting game that the team loses than a boring game that they win. But in terms of measuring success, it's all about wins for me personally. Last year's team was a success because they won, not because they dominated the play in game after game. Having said that, knowing that they could always pull a win together became exciting in and of itself, so the two metrics are related.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Its always said that a goalie will say that when an opposing player hits the post its because he left him nothing else to shoot at. Last night was the only time I have ever actually believed that to be the case, and not just cliche.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
So what you're saying is...Nabokov let Girardi score off the far post? I would say Nabby thought it was going high glove side. Great snipe from Danny G the terminator.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
So what you're saying is...Nabokov let Girardi score off the far post? I would say Nabby thought it was going high glove side. Great snipe from Danny G the terminator.

?
I was talking about the other goalie playing that night.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Like others, I was at the game. Arrived around 5 to tailgate (shame that can't be done at MSG). As I was leaving, I encountered your typical Isles fan. Left from the main entrance (the box office). Walking to my car and Rangers fans were celebrating, making noise, giving each other high-fives. Had an Isles fan walking behind me who kept saying to everyone who passed him, "Come talk to me when you win 4 in a row." After the 5th time he said it I turned around and laughed at him. I said, "That was 30 years ago and there is no way you are old enough to have lived through and enjoyed it." I'd put the guy at about 27-32 years old.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Like others, I was at the game. Arrived around 5 to tailgate (shame that can't be done at MSG). As I was leaving, I encountered your typical Isles fan. Left from the main entrance (the box office). Walking to my car and Rangers fans were celebrating, making noise, giving each other high-fives. Had an Isles fan walking behind me who kept saying to everyone who passed him, "Come talk to me when you win 4 in a row." After the 5th time he said it I turned around and laughed at him. I said, "That was 30 years ago and there is no way you are old enough to have lived through and enjoyed it." I'd put the guy at about 27-32 years old.

Dey mad. Dey mad. This "renewed" "rivalry*" has generated a lot of bad blood. I like it.

*Torts

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

They replaced seats in the 100's and made some other changes that resulted in a drop in seats from the 16,297 number. The 16,170 is the new seating capacity.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
people consistently calling up joe and evan right now on wfan complaining about the okposo slashing call

LOL, that was one of the worst slashes I have seen in a long time. He broke the guys stick about 1/2 up the shaft, were they dont usually break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad