Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders 4/13/13

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Good sign that coach sees the flaws of the team even after an emotional win, unlike the fans. :nod:

It never stops with you does it? Nobody here said we played a perfect game, or if someone did I must have missed that. But I'd rather play a flawed game and come away with a W then play our system to perfection and be beaten.

Kershaw

It never stops with you does it? Nobody here said we played a perfect game, or if someone did I must have missed that. But I'd rather play a flawed game and come away with a W then play our system to perfection and be beaten.

I disagree, I'd prefer to see a game where we played against Pittsburgh than tonight's gongshow. At least that game gave me hope that this team may have a shot this year.

The way we've been playing lately, is very bad for sustainable long term success, aka the playoffs.

Kershaw

Hank seemed happy for the first time this season in his post game interview.

If we're going to compete for the cup this season, he'll need to put one of the greatest goaltending performances of all time in the playoffs (Patrick Roy 1993 lite). I hope he can do it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't think we see Biron again this year.

The PP needs work. They're back into over passing mode. The PK seems to have gotten better.

If they can get the PP to what it was right after the trade deadline, that will really help them for the final push +.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Okay..
What I'm saying is its a popular theme on this forum for fans of losing team to gloat about out-playing a team even if they lose. Most of the time its just angry little kids frantically searching for some salvage from the loss to cling to but sometimes people actually are under the impression that its good to lose to a team that didn't play well, I am having trouble understanding the logic behind that.
Because to me tonight was an awesome game, the Rangers played far from their best and beat a team that was playing arguably there best hockey. So I don't understand why any fan of the isles would be happy about that, when they kind of got embarrassed by losing to a Ranger team playing badly, even to there own admission.

As a fan you're not 'clinging' to anything. You're purely making an examination of the events that transpired during the game. It's good for Islander fans to see the team compete as hard as they did, and do as well as they did in all areas other than scoring, even in a losing effort. I wouldn't have made any claim during the first 3 meetings that the Isles were playing better hockey, but something has changed with this team (I think it's a number of things) and they, and the fans, should be encouraged by what they've seen.

Lundqvist is great, losing to him happens to a lot of teams, it's not 'embarrassing' to lose to one of the best goalies in the world.

Quit being intentionally obtuse. Seriously, not that hard to connect the dots.

The *only* reason the Islanders didn't torch the Rangers tonight was because the Rangers are lucky enough to be blessed with the greatest goaltender in the world. That's it. The Islanders dominated in every other facet of the game. Relying on your goaltender to bail you out every night will inevitably fail. See: 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11. And yes, the Rangers are in a 'playoff position'. Barely, and as the 8-seed. That's the definition of a bubble-team.

Teams like the Islanders who don't sit back and hope their goaltender makes acrobatic save after save tend to fare much better.

Stop looking at the team as a fan and try to analyze them objectively. You'll come to the same conclusion.

I've really enjoyed reading your posts. Very level headed and reasonable.

Not being obtuse at all. yeah, the Rangers are lucky to have Lundy, the isles are lucky to have tavares, our guy won out on the day. Hockey, like most team sports is simple, score more than the opposition, that's what the rangers did today, and in 3 of the 4 meetings between the 2 teams. Will the rangers win the cup this season? I highly doubt it, but I had us down as a 6-8 seed team who would be out by the 2nd round so it doesn't worry me.

I'd much rather look at the game as a fan and get sense of enjoyment than over-analyze things and be be a sad-sack, but to each their own. Enjoy your night

If you can't analyze, you don't have a basis for any argument other than standings. Winning the game is only part of having a winning team.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Good sign that coach sees the flaws of the team even after an emotional win, unlike the fans. :nod:

Nobody says there wasn't flaws.

We got **** on in the second half of the game.

However, the usual suspects (who i've finally put on my ignore list) came in here crying that we were **** on in the first, which we weren't. Then, when we were dominating the first half of the second, nobody said anything negative, and then when the Isles came back at us they flooded back in.

Then, to make matters worse, Isles fans like to ignore the fact it could've been 3-0 before they took over the game and conveniently ignore the entire first half of the game.

I'm done with this thread because I think it's silly the Isles fans are STILL butthurt a day later and that Rangers fans continue to act like we're the worst team to ever play organized sports.

As I said in the GDT this season, GDT's (and this forum in general) have been much less enjoyable due to that group of people.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Hank should play every game for the remainder of the season unless we get to the last game and have already locked in our seed if we make it.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
Last night's game was great, intense hockey. Rangers certainly didn't play well but the effort and will to win was most definitely there.

Rangers fans who are down in the dumps after this win, and Isles fans who come on here saying these 'posters' are the most reasonable posters are sad, sad people.

Isles outplayed the Rangers for the most part but when we have the best goalie in the world, we can get away with that from time to time. To say we are 'lucky' as if to imply we didn't deserve to win, is actually laughable. People unconsciously act is if Hank isn't a part of this team.

Rangers won the game, in one of the most exciting games in a long time and yet some fans have to whine and cry. For me, I'm still psyched about the win and very confident in our Rangers.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Just want to jump in and remind everyone the team is 4-1-1 since the trades and could very easily be 6-0-0. Like it or not, this is the way the team is built and the way they have to play. Jam, grind, jam, grind, defend, block, jam, grind... Lundy, you do the rest. Both of last year's ECF wins against the Devils were games where the puck spent a lot of time in the defensive zone and the Rangers capitalized on a few opportunities.

Difference this year? We have a true game-breaker in Nash. Gaborik can be neutralized. Nash, on a good night, can not.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
NYR started a run of games where they were creating a lot of offensive chances starting with the game against the Jets on April 1st. Started noticing a lot less dump n' chase. Then with the trade dead-line moves inserted into the line-up.....they explode for 6 goals against the Pens. Beat the Canes 4 - 1. They lose a heartbreaker in Toronto, and now ever since that game Torts has them playing in a defensive shell around Hank. Now we're no longer creating offensively. And the power-play, coincidently is now suffering as well from lack of creativity. Clowe & Brassard are barely creating the last few games since Torts got his hands on them. This team plays too safe, and its handcuffing them offensively. 20 SOG last night, mostly shots from the perimeter. One shot, then everyone retreats immediately to their defensive assignments, which leads to even less puck possession. Spend way too much time defending & now the dump n' chase is back in full effect.

This is exactly how I feel. Have to stop relying on Lundqvist and actually produce some quality consistent offensive production.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Great game last night. Always feels good to come back from disgusting, dirty, filthy Long Island with two points :D

Being happy about a win does not stop me from voicing displeasure over some really bad hockey in that game. And again we have problems scoring, the PP disappointing when we need it the most. Some players getting alot of icetime are playing really poorly. Hank can't do this every game, unreal expectation even for the King.

Rest of the season is a cake walk, two losses at the most. Looking forward to the new season, maybe by then reinforcements will be in the lineup and some of the new faces will have adjusted, hopefully in a good way.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Hank was flat out insane last night. Without him we lose 3or4 nothing. i dont say nice things much about him but he was outstanding last night

It was a great game for him, but I know its gotta be killing you that there were certain elements missing from this NYR/NYI game that would have been a given 20-25 years ago. Its game like this where I miss the scrums of old. Then again, different times. Most of those players were NYR/NYI's for years, the rivalries were deeper cause they did it against one another year in year out.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It was a great game for him, but I know its gotta be killing you that there were certain elements missing from this NYR/NYI game that would have been a given 20-25 years ago. Its game like this where I miss the scrums of old. Then again, different times. Most of those players were NYR/NYI's for years, the rivalries were deeper cause they did it against one another year in year out.

Gotta figure now that the rivalry appears to have been rekindled those scrums of old will be returning sooner than later.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
If we lost this game let's face it everyone would be saying

POTG: Hank
The bad/The Redden: **** the rest of this awful team.

We won the game and a bunch of people are still saying it lol.

The forwards HAVE to score and they HAVE TO STOP giving up unbelievably good scoring opportunities.
I want the bolded opinion to be 100% invalid. it's not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad