GDT: Rangers at Capitals Game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I wish that Oates had at least once in the regular season, tried Erat on 1.

If a scoring line can't score in the playoffs, is that the time to try for the first time, all the logical combos?

I know I know MJ had .75 points per game coming back from injury. But still, the team comes first and I get the sense Oates is afraid to move him off of 1 because.... he looked great 2 weeks ago. And no one else has even been tried there in a month.

I would stick Fehr at 1LW for the odd shift. Or even move him down to 4 for a few shifts, and bump up Ward who I think has more chemistry with MP and Chimera than Beagle and Hendy

I was watching Oates' press conference and he said:

"Its hard for me to tell someone to shoot the puck because I never shot it myself."

I was like wtf, tell Nicky and Mojo both to shoot the god damn puck. Ovi had a monster game yesterday and he came up with a mere point. Dude would've racked it up had his linemates helped him out.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Someone tell me why Oates went with Backstrom-Brouwer and Johansson-Ovechkin for the 4 on 4s instead of Backstrom-Ovechkin.

as mentioned its the speed. probably. oates likes to use backstrom and johansson together 4 on 4 as well. so....maybe it was situational.

i guess being unsatisfied is a perpetual condition. i get that the kid didnt score on his chance. that doesnt erase the fact that he created a lot of possession and a number of chances for himself and others yesterday. he doesnt erase the freaking highlight reel goal he scored in game one. yet we are still talking about yanking him off the first line?

i like erat. we are complaining about johansson not scoring enough goals yet he has a goal and erat has one as a capital.

note: next season when ribeiro walks as a free agent and after mcphee has been bbq'd for that johansson be the 2c, which will be hated and erat will be the 1LW.

fehr isnt going to be the 1LW. he is a right shot and without an emergency shortage of left shot wingers no right shot will be playing there.

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Oates had also used Erat-Ovi on a 4 on 4 once and they had a marvelous scoring chance. I want to see that again.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
My take:

Direct TV guy said there is "no line of sight" at my pad so I'm stuck with comcast. Good news is that I was able to watch the entire game.

- Rangers definitely weren't as aggressive keeping pucks in the offensive zone to protect against Caps stretch pass and alley oop. The results showed with their lack of offense.

- Pierre McGuire is probably still insisting Nash is going to score the OT winner in game 2.

- Rangers fans want to blame refs on Alzner non call but then are sobered by the fact that they didn't have a shot in the last 17 minutes of the game even with 2 PPs in there.

- Torts, as expected, rode his top guys too hard. Predictable that they would make a mistake.

- About time one of the point shots deflects off one of the Ranger's other goalies and in the net.

- Caps totally out grinded the Rangers. Long stretches of sustained zone time after the first 10 minutes of the game.

- Johansson/Backstrom/Ovechkin looked dominant. Sure they failed to capitalize on some plays but their passing was amazing. Johansson looks great out there. Strong on the puck, good vision and that great speed. Backstrom strong rebound game. The puck just stuck to him.

- Ron Dugauy still not impressed with Caps. Caps fans impressed with the quantity of hair product required to sustain that mop.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

"Its hard for me to tell someone to shoot the puck because I never shot it myself."

I was like wtf, tell Nicky and Mojo both to shoot the god damn puck. Ovi had a monster game yesterday and he came up with a mere point. Dude would've racked it up had his linemates helped him out.

Teams at home have been over passing for all the time I have been watching hockey.

I was thinking yesterday, that how do we beat that hot playoff goalie. It seems the common thinking used to be, shoot a hundred times one has to go in. No, it doesn't.

I realized that another way to beat that hot goalie is to pass a hundred times before shooting. The Oates way. While it didn't work yesterday, it is an option I want to see tried if the shoot at every chance isn't working.

Only, eventually yeah you are over thinking it. Or I am. You do have to shoot to score. Peter Bondra used to say it over and over in his post game interviews.

Ovi has been one of the better in deciding when to pass or shoot. But think MJ is still figuring out his role in life err on that line. He has to know, Nick is the passer. Ovi is the gun. He presses the puck up and then.... he looks a little lost. Gun it!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
No way the number 10 faceoff guy in the NHL (Beagle) sits. When/if Laich comes back Hendricks, Chimmer or Ward will take a seat.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
I haven't caught Alzner's struggles. I think he's generally been assertive and good with his stick.

Hillen and Erskine have been abysmal on the puck, though Erskine redeems himself with his play otherwise.

Hillen would be another poor game away from a scratch, for me.

The rest of the defense has been good.

Pretty much how ive seen it too....might give Hillen a little more slack (who takes his place?).

I really like 4 and what he brings.....he had a rough go behind the net where better skills would have helped but generally when that has happened it seems like its the better NYR players that are on him, and they are good at that. He's a good player

I still think 74 is going to be a very good player and is playing better, overall, than some of his mistakes indicate. Seems to also have a knack for shotblocking

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I was like wtf, tell Nicky and Mojo both to shoot the god damn puck..

i think it makes perfect sense. oates telling a player to shoot is like a junky telling a kid not to do drugs. it doesnt carry any cred. oates telling johansson he wouldnt have scored it either was also true. he wouldnt have.

i also tend to think its hard to order a pass first player to shoot. its the shoot first player that is passing too much that you tell to shoot.

i dont think you are going to get a player who is in the hall of fame because he passed the puck to tear down the idea of a pass first player passing the puck.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Pretty much how ive seen it too....might give Hillen a little more slack (who takes his place?).

I really like 4 and what he brings.....he had a rough go behind the net where better skills would have helped but generally when that has happened it seems like its the better NYR players that are on him, and they are good at that. He's a good player

I still think 74 is going to be a very good player and is playing better, overall, than some of his mistakes indicate. Seems to also have a knack for shotblocking
Orlov would take his place for me, but that's not happening.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
It doesn't work that way Tex. Oates is not a player anymore. He's the coach. His decisions aren't based on how he played the game. Its based on what is good for this team.

I think when Oates said that it was a little bit tongue and cheek though, and I have no problem with what he said.

But what Mojo did there, with that sweet pass from Ovi... stickhandling in front of the net rather than shooting it right away, that is un-fn-acceptable.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It doesn't work that way Tex. Oates is not a player anymore. He's the coach. His decisions aren't based on how he played the game. Its based on what is good for this team.

I think when Oates said that it was a little bit tongue and cheek though, and I have no problem with what he said.

But what Mojo did there, with that sweet pass from Ovi... stickhandling in front of the net rather than shooting it right away, that is un-fn-acceptable.

I'm with TX on this one. For example if Johansson shot that puck on the 2 on 1 it would have hit Lundqvuist in the chest as there was zero to shoot at.

Their passing was great and thats how you beat a real good goalie..east west...we got some high grade chances out of those rapid fire passes too and on any other day we would score 4 or 5. Lundqvuist played as good as a goalie possibly could.

Also...to the people who are suggesting it...

Why would we mess with the D? They have been playing very well as a group for quite some time now. Did they make a few mistakes? Sure but there is an NHL team on the other side making plays too.

No chance Beagle sits. It would have to be Hendricks or MP and even then that would be tough to do.

Good problem to have I guess.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

maybe the pass was to hard for mojo to onetime and he had to dribble it to regain control. IM guessing OV passes have a bit on mustard on them

yeh he should have scored and he knows it

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
i think it makes perfect sense. oates telling a player to shoot is like a junky telling a kid not to do drugs. it doesnt carry any cred. oates telling johansson he wouldnt have scored it either was also true. he wouldnt have.

i also tend to think its hard to order a pass first player to shoot. its the shoot first player that is passing too much that you tell to shoot.

i dont think you are going to get a player who is in the hall of fame because he passed the puck to tear down the idea of a pass first player passing the puck.

I agree in general but in this specific case Oates could point to his career year where he was a Hart finalist.....They lost Neely (iirc) for most/all of the season and he scored 40+....still remember one against the Caps down the left side where I thought "wow, why doesnt that guy do that all the time".....so in short, he can say "we need you to think shoot when thats the play to make".....

for the record I dont think either 19 or 90 have a problem taking the shot and they both have a scorers touch.....this was just a combination of 1 pass too many and trying to make the perfect play on a goalie who seemed pretty dialed in

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

in oates presser he mentioned a couple of players having "the yips". i think he was referring to erskine who had the puck at his feet with nobody around him two or three times and fumbled around so long that a ranger player got to him and took the puck before he could manage to move it at all.

i worry about him v faster and more skilled teams, but i guess against those teams giving up just one goal wont be such a big deal.

ColincampbellOscopy

Jan 15, 2009
You would insert Laich at 4C for beagle; that seems pretty obvious to me. The only thing beagle has over Laich is that he's your best RH draw man, but I think you could get away with Ward taking the odd face off here or there. Laich can bring everything Beagle has and at a higher level, then you throw in the potential to add offense. I can't imagine why you'd remove a better player, like Perreault or Chimera, and disrupt line chemistry on a line that's producing just to keep a guy in the lineup because he's right handed.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Laich for Chimera or Hendricks makes a lot more sense for me than Laich for Beagle.

Beagle's our best faceoff guy, and the only right-handed one. He's also a darn good PKer. Chimera doesn't PK, and gets no PP time. It's really him for me.

On the Mojo thing, I can almost guarantee that Oates will see his play as getting into the right positions and creating scoring chances.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree in general but in this specific case Oates could point to his career year where he was a Hart finalist.....They lost Neely (iirc) for most/all of the season and he scored 40+....still remember one against the Caps down the left side where I thought "wow, why doesnt that guy do that all the time".....so in short, he can say "we need you to think shoot when thats the play to make".....

for the record I dont think either 19 or 90 have a problem taking the shot and they both have a scorers touch.....this was just a combination of 1 pass too many and trying to make the perfect play on a goalie who seemed pretty dialed in

i think the fact that both gacked away a good chance put the focus on them.
and...there has to be something to complain about between now and game 3. the pp is scoring. the pk is killing. the goalie is saving. the hitters are hitting. one of the marginal players is being a star of the series.

callejo doesnt look like a crappy coach that mcphee forced on oates anymore.

ok...90 and 19 cant/wont shoot. thats something. right?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No way the number 10 faceoff guy in the NHL (Beagle) sits. When/if Laich comes back Hendricks, Chimmer or Ward will take a seat.

Beagle only took 4 faceoffs yesterday

Hendricks and Laich can easily fill the void of Beagle sitting.

Now if Oates wants a RH twig for draws, that is different. I have not seen that, though.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yea, no. beagle isnt sitting for laich. perreault maybe. hendricks maybe, particularly if management and oates already know he is not coming back next season. chimera has been very visable in both games. hendricks not nearly so much.

oates is a face off man and i'd guess he keeps hendricks for that reason alone and sits 85.

edit: this is not a worry for now anyway. laich is not that close to return yet...right? he's not skating yet. if that is correct that he is not skating, he isnt playing for 2 or 3 weeks at the earliest. they are not going to let him play til he has skated a while and is in some kind of condition if only because of a reinjure.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
still on coffee #1 and just couldnt think of anyone.....

whats the deal with him this season and how has he been lately? Promising player

His upper-body injury (read: concussion) seems to have added some rust, and Oates hasn't been crazy about the way he's played. He's also more comfortable playing the right side, despite being left handed, which is likely another reason he's not preferred by Oates.

I'd imagine him playing in Hershey is to get him back to 100% after the injury and to further familiarize him playing on the left.

Based more so on his play last year, I thought Orlov had huge promise. Sergei Zubov-type potential.

Last edited:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
in oates presser he mentioned a couple of players having "the yips". i think he was referring to erskine who had the puck at his feet with nobody around him two or three times and fumbled around so long that a ranger player got to him and took the puck before he could manage to move it at all.

i worry about him v faster and more skilled teams, but i guess against those teams giving up just one goal wont be such a big deal.

For me the concern with 4 is when he gets caught in no-mans land in the neural zone or manning the point. He doesnt have the speed to recover.......he has gotten a lot better knowing when to step up and break up the play, for example, but when he misses its usually a rush the other way

in the zone he is strong on the boards, even if his stick isnt skills controlling the puck arent very good. When he gets control he makes good decisions

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin

Well, except for that one year when he scored 45 goals and averaged just over 3 SOGs per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad