Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Canadiens 11-16-2013

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's 9 out of the last 10 games where I'd say confidently that the Rangers were the better team.

The only games in that stretch that I'd question that was the Ducks game and the Panthers game. The Duck game I'd say was even though and we had better chances than the Panthers even though they probably outplayed us for like half the game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only games in that stretch that I'd question that was the Ducks game and the Panthers game. The Duck game I'd say was even though and we had better chances than the Panthers even though they probably outplayed us for like half the game.

Yeah the Panthers game was the weird one. Even at best.

After the first 5 minutes I thought we hammered the Ducks in terms of territory.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
The Habs board is pretty funny. Therrien is getting killed. Someone called him a fat slob. Funny, one person thought they dominated the 2nd and 3rd. I think he needs to look up "dominated" in the dictionary. They had one good shift in the 3rd and maybe a couple of good chances in the 2nd.

LOL yeah OK they dominated the 2nd and 3rd... actually their best period was the 1st:

http://www.extraskater.com/game/2013-11-16-rangers-canadiens

Boyle was the only forward in the negative in terms of Corsi. This is not surprising though considering he starts most of his shifts in the defensive zone.

What is a bit troubling is the Moore-Falk pairing at 36% Corsi for with almost 90% offensive zone starts. On the other hand McDonagh and Girardi were beastly.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah the Panthers game was the weird one. Even at best.

After the first 5 minutes I thought we hammered the Ducks in terms of territory.

I was at the game, for some reason when I go to games I can't always pick up that stuff as well as on TV. I thought we really lacked in chances and a lot of the time neither team did anything. That was one game out offense didn't do much.

But anyway if we're talking about outplaying the other team. We've been the better team in a lot of games.

Coyotes: Badly got outplayed

Kings: Pretty much dominated them

SJ: LOL!

Anaheim: LMAO!

St. Louis: At worst got slightly outplayed if you take the whole game into account, but we were much better in the 2nd period, the first was pretty even, 3rd was bad though

Washington: Missed this game but it sounds like we dominated.

NJ: I changed the channel after 1, but we got dominated from what I saw

Philly: I didn't see much of this game but it looked to me like from what I saw we were the better team

Detroit: Missed this game but it sounds like we outplayed them

Montreal: Outplayed them

NY Islanders: Badly outplayed them, should have been a shutout

Buffalo: Dominated them

Carolina: They had good stretches but we outplayed them

Anaheim: In my view it was even

Pittsburgh: Dominated

Columbus: Outplayed them, though the 3rd was ugly

Florida: Slightly outplayed them, I'd say we had the better of the chances and equal territorial play

NJ: Outplayed them

Montreal: Dominated them

This season we got clearly outplayed in 4 games, if you want to be negative 5, even though I thought we showed very well in St. Louis against one of the best teams in the league. Since the back to back disasters we got dominated in one game and outplayed but not dominated by a great Blues team, otherwise we were even at worst in every game. Under Torts it was a 50/50 proposition.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone explain the showboating on Price's part when his team was losing with only a couple of minutes left in the 3rd (on the Richards save)? Who are you showing up?

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
Can someone explain the showboating on Price's part when his team was losing with only a couple of minutes left in the 3rd (on the Richards save)? Who are you showing up?

Wasn't even that great of a save either. Price knew Starman was passing that all the way and made it look more dramatic than it really was. very douchey.

*Bob Richards*

Wasn't even that great of a save either. Price knew Starman was passing that all the way and made it look more dramatic than it really was. very douchey.

I'm now completely in favor of renaming Anton "Starman" :D

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
...pretty sure he was just kidding. Unless that crack pipe is being passed around again.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Awsome game by Kreider! Best I've ever seen him play, by a wide margin. Ie not only was it a night where he got chances or was set up to chances. The kid made his bed, picked his spots and played really well.

One example was when Zucc entered the zone on the right side an cut to the inside of the ice and took the puck with him and then dropped passed to a Kreider who came streaking down the right side. AV has really gotten to him in these areas. He seems to be playing to his instincts soo much more than he had the previous year.

Also, there has been some talk as to breaking up this line or not, whether Nash or Cally really should play on a 3rd line and whatnot. I don't know, I really don't think we should break up Kreids-Step-Zucc. You know, I rahter have that line as the "3rd line" if that is so horrible as opposed to breaking them up. Kreids and Zucc are really helping each other and both are finding ways to utilize each other strengths. The structure of that line change mightly if Nash replace Zucc. All of a sudden, Kreider will be asked to make those passes to Nash that Zucc is making to him etc.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Also, there has been some talk as to breaking up this line or not, whether Nash or Cally really should play on a 3rd line and whatnot. I don't know, I really don't think we should break up Kreids-Step-Zucc. You know, I rahter have that line as the "3rd line" if that is so horrible as opposed to breaking them up. Kreids and Zucc are really helping each other and both are finding ways to utilize each other strengths. The structure of that line change mightly if Nash replace Zucc. All of a sudden, Kreider will be asked to make those passes to Nash that Zucc is making to him etc.
It really should be a non issue as AV rotates most of the players very evenly. In terms of ice time we really have a 1a 1b and 1c lines, then a 4th line.

But if someone were to choke on their coffee seeing that Nash for example is on the third line, just call the Kreider - Stepan - Zuke line the third line and thats that ?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We are good at getting a grip of the puck down low and getting a circle going. Then we start to look for those in close passes and shots from little range. I've missed a few games with this team lately, and when watching the highlights at nhl.com we look like world beaters. Constantly finding those passes and shots from 3-6 feets away.

But, when thats all you have and the other team knows that that is the only option we have, its just not that effective.

We could really use more offensive punch from the blueline. If Zucc or Stepan once in a while could find a very capable offensive D with those opening passses, it would really open things up and really open up things in terms of scoring for us.

We haven't had a dynamic offensive game like this for a really long time, and the current D's will definitely get better with time. But on the other hand, many years has been lost in the development of these guys under the years when passing was banned.

We could really use a D that can head start and lead the way offensively for our Ds.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

agree. people talk about 'first' and 'second' and 'third' and 'fourth' lines...but with this roster you can have three equally-good 'top' lines. kreider-stepan-zuccarello, hagelin-richards-callahan, nash-brassard-miller. then you have boyle-moore-dorsett as the energy/defensive line. it's strong.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It really should be a non issue as AV rotates most of the players very evenly. In terms of ice time we really have a 1a 1b and 1c lines, then a 4th line.

But if someone were to choke on their coffee seeing that Nash for example is on the third line, just call the Kreider - Stepan - Zuke line the third line and thats that ?

I agree for sure. The diffrence is special teams, not 5 on 5 ice time. I also like your solution. Just write the lines in another order and nobody would even notice it:

Hags-BR-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Zucc
Dorsett-Moore-Boyle

BTW, I've never agreed with the Boyle trashing. He might be playing over his head at times in terms of roles, but that is hardly his fault.

Right now, I think he is very important for us. He's playing good hockey.

BTW II, I think AV should try Brassard on the wing eventually. Give him a bit more of a free role. Why is Brass struggling under AV while doing really well under Torts? Under Torts we got the puck up ice ASAP. Everyone was on board with that and we streaked up ice in 110 mph to be able to put pressure on the puck once it arrived at the end boards. This of course pushed the other team back. NJD in some extreme examples even placed a D in their own end when we had the puck just to get a ridiculous jump start on our forecheck. Anyway, in the midst of this organized chaos, Derrick Brassard could break the pattern and take advantage of the open ice that was created in the neutralzone when the other team backed down on us. Under AV, teams are putting much more pressure on us higher up ice. Its actually there we have the biggest weakness, because our transition game isn't quite set yet. So in the area where Brassard previously could make his best plays, we are pressured the hardest now. That has been a challenge for him.

Hence I would like to get Brassard into a bit more free role on the wing, where he doesn't have too much obligations in terms of making those essential standard plays of a center, but could come in in the second wave, pick his spots, and take the puck up ice and make plays wtih it.

I could see him finding his game playing LW on like a line with BR and Nash, which would open up for a extremely strong "3rd" line of Hagelin-Moore/Boyle-Callahan. Or even on a 3rd line as LW with Boyle at center and Callahan at RW.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i don't see how pouliot deserves to play over miller. they're both getting 8-10 mins/game but miller has upside and is developing in the pros. pouliot and pyatt/mashinter should just be fill-ins, in my opinion. let them watch from the press box and step in if there's an injury or benching.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
The bashing of Boyle is just the nature of this forum, if the Rangers would have lost in the last minute, they would suck and all negative bs would fill this forum.

Boyle makes so many important plays, players like him are the motor of a team and he would be one of the first names I put on the board when making the team.

I have more problems with Girardi, his puck handling and the times he simply cannot control the puck is getting absurd, is it only me that notice that? Same goes for Starman (Great nick) they must work on that.

Kreider is a star in the making and I think he has what it takes to become a scorer, that shot on the post was brilliant, pure luck for montreal and he had another great shot that was an amazing safe. That line is by far above the rest of the lines imo. Zuccs (who also is one bad game away to open another waiver thread on these boards) is also great, love this guy and what he brings.

Dorado*

i don't see how pouliot deserves to play over miller. they're both getting 8-10 mins/game but miller has upside and is developing in the pros. pouliot and pyatt/mashinter should just be fill-ins, in my opinion. let them watch from the press box and step in if there's an injury or benching.

I thought Pouliot had a better game playing as a fourth line energy player with Miller . While the AHL may be a better player for miller to develop finish right now despite continuing to make those rookie gaffs , he shows the ability to hold on to the puck down low and is making better plays in his own end . Pouliot and miller as a fourth line has size and speed . Pouliot not being relied on as primary scoring or secondary scoring and strictly as speed and fore check could work out . DGMW , I think Poo man sucks but he had a good game last night

Vickers8

My 3 stars
1 Kreids great physical, energetic game
2 Cam Talbot 1.58 gaa 943 svpct
3 The Captain great deflection
Honorable mention Dom Moore's unnoticed responsible play, eating up minutes, 19 shifts 14 minutes, Mashinter was playing 3 minutes

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
My 3 stars
1 Kreids great physical, energetic game
2 Cam Talbot 1.58 gaa 943 svpct
3 The Captain great deflection
Honorable mention Dom Moore's unnoticed responsible play, eating up minutes, 19 shifts 14 minutes, Mashinter was playing 3 minutes

The Redden- John Giannone he is terrible calling games:shakehead

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Probably the best team match all season, everyone pulled their weight, or at least didn't pose as a liability

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad