Confirmed with Link: Rangers Acquire Justin Falk from Wild for a 2014 6th rounder and Ben Ferriero

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Keeping Richards indicates to me that we'd be more likely to deal for a high pick than a guy like Skinner, Eberle, or Gagner. So If we're going by that, I'd rather get the 5th+ something for Staal.

I rate Staal higher than MDZ, and think MDZ could fetch a good deal. But I worry a) about Staal's injury, b) about Staal leaving in 2 years, and c) about whether Carolina might not overpay to get the last piece.

I want no part of Skinner. McBain or (preferably) Murphy, Rask and the #5 pick would be fine with me.

SupersonicMonkey*

Why we want to become less mobile when one of our biggest issues was immobility, is mindnumbing.

Can't move the puck out of our own end, or through the neutral zone.

Earth to Sather...need more mobility, not less.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Why we want to become less mobile when one of our biggest issues was immobility, is mindnumbing.

To get someone really good you're going to have to move more than Ferriero and a 6th. Basically this guy may or may not make the Rangers or be back and forth between the NHL/AHL. Beyond that the Rangers have almost no experienced d-men in Hartford next year so depth is an issue within the organization.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

I can't see this being the last deal with all of the fuss of DZ/Staal circling. Clark is on record saying we need to shore up PMD, so patience!!

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not a huge Falk fan...but at the end of the day the Rangers swapped basically a bubble NHL forward and a 6th for an NHL defenseman.

Maybe a bubble NHL defenseman in reality. Wild blueline is that bad after Suter/Brodin. Either way, swapping a bubble F for a bubble D makes sense at least.

Ferriero never impressed me in Hartford. I see him as a career minor leaguer who only got called up because we had no depth.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
It never hurts to have defensive depth and this guy has some size, can play a quiet mistake free 12 minutes. 24 and NHL ready. Good move why not

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
As far as building depth is concerned, there is no better way to do this than trading away multiple pieces that will never get out of the AHL for a single serviceable depth player. Always good. Gaborik for great pick ups in Moore, Dorse, Brass in a 1 for 3 and now a good 2 for 1.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Maybe leading up to Staal for Skinner?

I really hope not. I don't think there's room for another small, soft player in the top lines here. Unless they have absolutely unbelievable skill, those types of teams don't do well in the playoffs.

Janerixon

Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
If this move guarantees we won't see Gilroy or Bickel playing the 6th d-man spot at anytime this season I am all for it. Personally I liked Emminger as he filled in admirably after we lost Staal, but he wasn't a 3-4 d-man and once Stralman was hurt he was playing too many minutes. I wonder if he will end up in Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad