Confirmed with Link: Rangers acquire goaltender Antti Raanta for Ryan Haggerty

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Poor Bern. This will crush his spirits. :(
I am shocked and dismayed --- more still recovering from the stupidity that was the Talbot trade --- but ok.
several have tried but nobody crushes bernmeister.:yo:

Thanks for the gentle good thought.
Rumors of my demise, despite Slats apparently wanting to give me a heart attack, are greatly exaggerated.:laugh:;)

Raanta is very talented and well liked. Didn't get a fair shake in Chicago due to emergence of Darling. He will thrive behind Lundqvist. Will definitely be rooting for him to do well.
THIS is the guy we should have gotten from BH. Also believe could have been done without surrendering Haggerty.

Wasn't haggerty going supposed to replace Nash as our 40G sniper?
:)
No question he has the shot, both sniper and otherwise, and we have videos of him busting a move.
Room for improvement, need for tutoring and development? yes and yes.
But in a situation where we consider trading Nash [or anyone else, ftm] for best return, Hags 2 was serious possibility. Just needed to learn pro defense, and mature with experience.

This is literally the WOAT day for bern. :laugh:
Your concern is duly noted/ :cry::cry::cry:

When you live in a world where Boston will eat half Zdeno Chara's contract to take Tanner Glass, the world is bound to be a let-down.

Did he really suggest that?

I believe Boston was also sending a 1st round pick.

Yes, I wanted to do other things to get lots of cap space, then at min extract a 1st, like 14thOA.

I knee haggerty was getting dealt weeks ago.
He asked out during the season. Actually wanted to western Canada.
Nice we got something decent for him.

I wuz unaware of this.
Was this the best we could do, if consideration needed to be made on this new basis to deal him?
btw, this is a real 180 for a kid who chose us, then had such a terrific camp.

Hey guys, is there reason to think haggerty's more than ahl depth?
Yes, esp in a quality org like Chicago if you can place him and bring him along.
He no ? can shoot, expect he can make the rest of it work, but that remains to be seen.

Those of you who've seen my reports from Hartford know that I wasn't a big fan of Haggerty. He has a great shot, but nothing else. He was so out of place when he had no puck. He'd literally run into teammates at times. He's very, very far from the NHL. If he makes it, will be very good because he has offensive skill, but the odds are against him.
You may be right
(I may be crazy, oh but I just may be the lunatic you're looking for -- not original put never fails...) --- HOWEVER
that unquestioned talent is in a premium in the NHL.
It will remain to be seen if he makes it, and you can tag this post if ya want.

Haggerty will play not start but hang in / in and out / then when maturing kicks in in a couple of years, he will be a visible and productive asset. MARK MY WORDS.

It isn't an upgrade but it sure as hell makes the Talbot trade look a lot better.
We basically got this guy for free, and Talbot was going to leave after this year anyways.
A 2nd and 3rd round pick for the difference between Talbot and Raanta is a great deal.
Sorry to disagree.
I wanted Darling, but Raanta if cheap enough to acquire is not the prob.
But Talbot was given away. see comments below.

Rather had sign Lindbäck for berns wellbeing. But this is a solid move.
Thanks. Nice to know you cared. But like I said, it is the Talbot deal that cuts like a knife.

I'm worried about Bern.
fear not

How long does Raanta have on his contract?
Wouldn't it have been a better move to keep Haggerty, and keep Talbot for one more season instead of trading him for peanut picks? I'd rather keep Haggerty and let Talbot walk after next season than have this be the final outcome.
What was Haggertys upside? I thought he had 3rd/4th line potential?
*Just read through the thread. Guess Haggerty was a wash. Oh well.
Never agreeing to let Talbot walk
But talbot could have been given a starter's contract / term on Jan 1, and dealt on Jan 2 FOR A LOT MORE.

The nice guy who:
wanted to package Yandle and Talbot for Draisaitl

trade Stepan Brassard and Nash and have Ryan Haggerty replace Nash. He flipped out on someone calling Joe Haggerty an idiot because he thought it was Ryan Haggerty.

Trade Glass for Chara (50% retained) so Chara could play on our 4th line with McIlrath

Thinks Ahti Oksanen would dominate with Kreider and Hayes

have to run now will come back and edit response to this later.

My understanding was that Haggerty had potential bc everyone was very happy when we signed him, and considering the Blackhawks have interest in him there must be something there. Blackhawks don't go after garbage players.

Seems like everyone is down on Haggerty so without me having much knowledge of him I guess it's a good deal. I'm still a bit peeved about the trade we made for Talbot. I thought we could do a lot better. Oh well.

usually the case.
So what does that tell you?
If Hags is SO bad, why did Chicago want him?
no better offers for Raanta?:shakehead

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Raanta for Haggarty = genius

Raanta was probably one of the best backup assets out there. He is 26 and has great numbers in Chicago and Rockford. He joins an organization arguably on par with the one he leaves and I'll bet he's excited to work with Allaire and Hank. Lock him up now to a one or two year contract, and Sather is in position to do at the 2016 NHL draft with Raanta what he did this year with Talbot: add four prospects. That would be huge. Can you imagine, adding eight prospects in two years from Talbot and Raanta, who only cost Haggarty?

Haggarty was going to make almost 1 mill and he disappointed in Hartford. He was unlikely to crack the roster next season and would have cost > 1 mill to extend. Getting cash-strapped Chicago to take that is remarkable.

As an addendum to my post on the Talbot thread: some complain that we didn't get enough for Talbot because what we're left with are middling prospects. Don't forget that with three 3rds in 2013 we drafted Duclair Tambellini and Buchnevich. If those three re-entered, they probably would be firsts now. How about we give Gropp, Kovacs, Zborovskiy and Saarela ONE OR TWO SEASONS, AT LEAST, before we write them off into mediocrity? What a great welcome by the fans! In a year or two many will be moaning how we are trading them for so little, but ready to fire Sather now for trading an undrafted backup with 57 GP to get them!

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Haggarty was going to make almost 1 mill and he disappointed in Hartford. He was unlikely to crack the roster next season

The goal of him making the NHL this season would've been totally unrealistic. The goal was for him to become a quality top-9 AHLer with the hope that he could become an AHLer second liner. The guy was actually scratched several times, including in the playoffs, you don't go from an AHL scratch to an NHLer over the summer.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The goal of him making the NHL this season would've been totally unrealistic. The goal was for him to become a quality top-9 AHLer with the hope that he could become an AHLer second liner. The guy was actually scratched several times, including in the playoffs, you don't go from an AHL scratch to an NHLer over the summer.

He's also only got one year on his contract if I remember correctly.

Didn't we burn a year by not sending him down at the end of 13-14?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

great shot. with time and space, he can really finish.

holes every where else though.

when i watched him, i saw a guy who wandered and wasnt intuitive at all without the puck. kinda lost.

he was a very good college scorer. great shot. a dangerous ahl shooter but pretty one dimensional.

i would say his nhl upside was and is minimal.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
great shot. with time and space, he can really finish.

holes every where else though.

when i watched him, i saw a guy who wandered and wasnt intuitive at all without the puck. kinda lost.

he was a very good college scorer. great shot. a dangerous ahl shooter but pretty one dimensional.

i would say his nhl upside was and is minimal.

not in dispute.
But could these weaknesses have been overcome with reasonable maturing?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
not in dispute.
But could these weaknesses have been overcome with reasonable maturing?

perhaps. its not like were loaded with shooters or dynamic forward prospects.

you run the risk of being passed by developmentally by bigger, faster, more skilled players if your game is so single dimensional. i see buchnevich as the only sure fire kid.

when i watched hggerty he rarely looked like an nhl player.

guys like him are career ahl guys who eventually play in europe or the k and make a nice living.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

He would have burned a year regardless of where he played, 20+ players' contracts don't slide, but he wasn't eligible to play for Hartford that season.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He would have burned a year regardless of where he played, 20+ players' contracts don't slide, but he wasn't eligible to play for Hartford that season.

well sorta.
What most UDFA's do in that situation is sign a contract effective the next year, sign a ATO w AHL team for balance of season.
IF Haggerty had done that, he'd have had 6-7 weeks of AHL seasoning (even though HWP missed '14 playoffs, RPI was out of ECAC playoffs real early) and I expect then had a much better rookie AHL season
anyway, he never distinguished himself as a Ranger

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
well sorta.
What most UDFA's do in that situation is sign a contract effective the next year, sign a ATO w AHL team for balance of season.
IF Haggerty had done that, he'd have had 6-7 weeks of AHL seasoning (even though HWP missed '14 playoffs, RPI was out of ECAC playoffs real early) and I expect then had a much better rookie AHL season
anyway, he never distinguished himself as a Ranger
And any NHL prospect would take shortening their ELC by a year over a few weeks of AHL experience.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
And any NHL prospect would take shortening their ELC by a year over a few weeks of AHL experience.

Haggerty was a free agent signing--he had more control and could demand it (and he got paid like an NHLer for those days on the roster).

The normal route for draftees is to do what Skjei just did--finish the year, sign the ATO, play in Hartford and then have the ELC kick in for the fall. He couldn't make any demands (other than go back to school). And it worked out well for both him and the organization.

Signing Haggerty worked out well too. :nod:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Haggerty was a free agent signing--he had more control and could demand it (and he got paid like an NHLer for those days on the roster).

The normal route for draftees is to do what Skjei just did--finish the year, sign the ATO, play in Hartford and then have the ELC kick in for the fall. He couldn't make any demands (other than go back to school). And it worked out well for both him and the organization.

Signing Haggerty worked out well too. :nod:
Yeah, teams without room to sign contracts for the current seasons are normally left out of the high-end UDFA market for that reason.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The nice guy who:

wanted to package Yandle and Talbot for Draisaitl

trade Stepan Brassard and Nash and have Ryan Haggerty replace Nash. He flipped out on someone calling Joe Haggerty an idiot because he thought it was Ryan Haggerty.

Trade Glass for Chara (50% retained) so Chara could play on our 4th line with McIlrath

Thinks Ahti Oksanen would dominate with Kreider and Hayes

Someone should make a top ten list of the most horrific bern trades + reasonings. Some days I'm truly convinced he just has utter contempt for this board and does all this to purposely piss people off

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, teams without room to sign contracts for the current seasons are normally left out of the high-end UDFA market for that reason.

These guys are rare though... you look at the last few UDFA's that are great, Hayes... Jultz to a certain degree altho he can't fulfill his job description... Zucc.. Girardi... all guys taht were either drafted or came in through the ranks.

Very few of those undrafted college free agents make an impact.

Jake Muzzin... Brendon Dillon... CHL guys.

A 4 year window gives scouts a lot to work with.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
These guys are rare though... you look at the last few UDFA's that are great, Hayes... Jultz to a certain degree altho he can't fulfill his job description... Zucc.. Girardi... all guys taht were either drafted or came in through the ranks.

Muzzin was drafted by the Pens in '07.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Cam Talbot. :)

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

the best way to have a profitable NHL career is to play.
quit being 'too smart' and lace 'em up.
at 21 you dont need to think short term

i believe he got bad advice, and pissed away an opportunity to be more ready for this year.
I get the short-term financial reasoning, i just don't think it was the best decision

unless he knows he's a lucky to be overrated, doesnt really stack up, and needs to take all he can while he can

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Yeah he needs to be re-signed by CHI. Kid loves to shoot, but he's more Daniel Goneau than anything else.

When Goneau had his 5 game goal streak playing with Gretzky I thought the Rangers had a star in the making before fizzling. Haggerty is the same sort of player.

Pretty much universal opinions on him. Doesn't cause turnovers, doesn't generate chances himself, but loves to shoot. Or try to shoot.

If there were advanced stat tracking for the AHL that was publicly available, there would be major yelping and cursing and further outcry because this kid would have had great corsi numbers.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Haggarty was going to make almost 1 mill and he disappointed in Hartford. He was unlikely to crack the roster next season and would have cost > 1 mill to extend. Getting cash-strapped Chicago to take that is remarkable.

Haggerty has 1 year left on his ELC. All ELC's are 2 way contracts, so assuming he spends next year in the AHL, he'll make 70k. But even if it was a 1 way contract, he'd still have no bearing on Chicago's cap situation if he is in the AHL, as up to 950k of the contract doesn't count against the cap, and his cap hit is 925k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad